[Bitpim-devel] Database design
Roger Binns
2004-11-24 07:38:24 UTC
I have committed the documentation on how I think the transition to
a database will work.

It is the file dev-docs/database.html

You can tell if you have the completed version by looking for tables
in the second half (the incomplete version has no tables).

I feel good about it, and welcome any comments.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2004-11-24 18:17:46 UTC
It looks good. My vote is for the multiple indirect tables, and keeping wallpaper & ringtone files separated from the DB. Some implementation questions:

1. How far back are you planning to keep all the 'undo' items, and will users be able to control/set policy on these items, ie I want to delete all of my undos except for the last 5, etc.?

2. Similar question for items marked for deletion, will there be some feature like 'empty the trash can'?

3. Did you also consider storing user settings/preferences/misc info in this DB?

I'd also suggest comming up with a 'header', for lack of a better term, for the database module & classes, if you haven't already done so, before full implementation.

-Joe Pham

-- "Roger Binns" <***@rogerbinns.com> wrote:
I have committed the documentation on how I think the transition to
a database will work.

It is the file dev-docs/database.html

You can tell if you have the completed version by looking for tables
in the second half (the incomplete version has no tables).

I feel good about it, and welcome any comments.

NetZero Platinum $9.95.
NetZero HiSpeed $14.95.
Sign up Today at http://www.netzero.net or
Visit Sam Goody, Suncoast or MediaPlay Stores.
Roger Binns
2004-11-25 07:07:54 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
1. How far back are you planning to keep all the 'undo' items,
The very first version will keep all of them :-)

After that it will be some combination of timeperiod (eg discard everything
older than 6 months) and number of changes (eg keep last 5 changes for
each entry).
Post by d***@netzero.com
2. Similar question for items marked for deletion, will there be some
feature like 'empty the trash can'?
That fits in with 1 above.
Post by d***@netzero.com
3. Did you also consider storing user settings/preferences/misc info in this DB?
Per phone settings should definitely go in there, since they are a property
of the phone not whatever machine the database is stored on. Other items
such as window sizes and positions will remain in the registry/dot files.
For items inbetween it will remain somewhat arbitrary. For example the
id of the folder you import Outlook contacts from is somewhat ambiguous.
Post by d***@netzero.com
I'd also suggest comming up with a 'header', for lack of a better term,
for the database module & classes, if you haven't already done so, before
full implementation.
For the phonebook the existing module will remain almost unchanged. Initially
only PhoneWidget.getfromfs and populatefs will move into database. The rest
of the code in PhoneWidget will see exactly the same dicts as before. Then
I will work on optimising things.

It is going to be easier for me to just write the code than to provide
method/class signatures only :-)