[BitPim-devel] SMS messages on an LX5450
Greg Kelley
2005-08-18 23:10:16 UTC
I have been talking with Karl Dunnagan and he said I should post the
following here...

I believe I have found where the date is stored in the Inbox messages.
Here is what I did:

1. Took 4 messages exported from an LG LX5450 using BitPim

2. Noted the time and date stamp for each message as stored in the phone
OS

3. Downloaded QualComms Brew SDK and tools.

4. Used the Brew Simulator and SMS Emulator to get a Timestamp (in
decimal format) for the dates of the stored SMS message using the date
time reported in the phone OS. In doing further inspection, this
"Timestamp" is the number of seconds from 1/1/1980 12:00:00am to the
current time and date.

5. Converted the Timestamp to hexadecimal and looked for the value
inside of the stored SMS message

6. I believe I found the timestamp stored in bytes 78 through 7B.
However, the bytes are in reverse order.

7. Of the 4 messages I played with, 2 of them had a stored timestamp
that was 3 hours off of the file date/time. The other 2 messages were 2
hours off. Well, in looking further, the 2 that were 3 hours off came
in on or before 10/30/2004 and the 2 that were just 2 hours off came in
after 10/30/2004. Why is 10/30/2004 important? Because day light
savings ended on 10/31/2004 at 2am.

I hope this proves helpful and others can test to prove or disprove my
hypothesis. Now, if someone could help me with an issue I have, I would
be VERY GRATEFUL. I need to take these Inbox and Outbox messages that I
exported using BitPim and convert the portion that has the 7bit message
body into a readable message. Can somone help with this? I know they
are in a packed format and I thought I read and executed the conversion
properly, but I got gibberish after the conversion.

Greg Kelley, EnCE
Vestige Digital Investigations
Computer Forensics | Electronic Discovery | Corporate Surety
46 Public Square, Ste 220
Medina, OH 44256
(330)721-1205 x5432
(330)721-1206 Fax
http://www.vestigeltd.com
Joe Pham
2005-08-19 00:54:55 UTC
need to take these Inbox and Outbox messages that I exported using
BitPim and convert the portion that has the 7bit message body into a
readable message.
Please post 1 or 2 sample message files retrieve from the phone. I believe Roger was looking into this some time ago and had made some progress on it.

NetZero Is Giving Away $3,000 A Day!
Sign up for NetZero HiSpeed 3G with Instant On!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/3Gsweeps TODAY for your chance to win!
Simon
2005-08-19 01:39:52 UTC
Greg,

If it is of any help I have been looking at the vx8100 SMS messages and can
decode the inbox, outbox and saved message files using a c program I wrote,
I am now porting it to python, code should be ready in a week or so.
The timestamp you are seeing is probably GPS time (google it), seconds since
1-6-80. The reverse order is due to the file being in LSB format, if you
read it as a 4 byte lsb int it will be sorted correctly.

As far as decoding the 7-bit ascii.
I have found two types.

I have attached the experiemental c code I use for the vx8100, you pass in
the file type (i(nbox), o(utbox) or p(ending)) followed by the file name, it
takes multiple files.

I know this will not work with other phones, I tried it on my SO's vx6100
and the inbox did not work, the outbox printed out some of the message but
the first character was missing. However looking at the raw binary it does
look similar, I suspect that the data structure I have in the code needs to
be tweeked for each phone. If you want to send me a few sample inbox outbox
and saved messages I can have a go at this, or you can have a look at the
code attached yourself and make your own changes.

BTW, there is data in the outbox message that bitpim cannot handle today.
Multiple recipients (To:), whether or not each receipient has received the
message and when it was received. Priority is missing, as is the flag that
says if it has been read (not really useful this one).

Greg Kelley
2005-08-19 03:49:00 UTC
Joe,

I would rather not post the messages on the board. Might I e-mail them to you directly?

Greg Kelley
Vestige, Ltd

2005-08-19 04:08:01 UTC
Post by Greg Kelley
Might I e-mail them to you directly?
That'd be fine.

Greg Kelley

[...]

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
Practices Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
Testing & QA Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
Greg Kelley
2005-08-19 14:45:13 UTC
Simon,

Ok, I did manage to get it compiled and running. However, I am not
getting it to convert the message body. I did some troubleshooting with
a couple of inbox and outbox files.

With the inbox files, it is because sms.num_msg_elements gets set to 0
even though there appears to be a body of the message. Still
troubleshooting the outbox. If you want to give it a try, contact me
off line and I can see about getting you some messages.

http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
Simon C