[Bitpim-devel] BitPim 0.7 test release
Roger Binns
2003-12-30 23:25:24 UTC
I would like to do a BitPim 0.7 test release at some point in the
next few days. Is anyone aware of any bugs/features that should
really be completed first or any other outstanding issues it
would be wise to address.

Roger
Steven Palm
2003-12-31 01:54:15 UTC
I would like to do a BitPim 0.7 test release at some point in the
next few days. Is anyone aware of any bugs/features that should
really be completed first or any other outstanding issues it
would be wise to address.
Well, any work on the handling of image sizes for the VX6000? I don't
know if that is needed for the test release or not.

I haven't yet had time to investigate alternatives to the MIME stuff
for MacOS which is used to determine helper application to open files.

I also have yet to find a solution/workaround for the display of the
ringtones using the REPORT format. This is a Mac issue, perhaps even
related to the version wxWindows I'm running. Removing the Freeze/Thaw
stuff did not help.

Also, On the Mac if I select a ringtone and hit delete, it doesn't
delete, so I can add ringtones, but can't manage to remove them.

Still no way to create .qcp files on MacOS X. {sigh} I found an old
program from Qualcomm for MacOS 9 that lets me convert them, but no way
that I know of to integrate it at all with bitpim.

...thinking if there's more...

-. ----. -.-- - -.--
Steve Palm - ***@n9yty.com
-. ----. -.-- - -.--
Roger Binns
2003-12-31 12:24:22 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
Well, any work on the handling of image sizes for the VX6000? I don't
know if that is needed for the test release or not.
It isn't, but if you tell me the exact size I will endeavour to add it in.
Post by Steven Palm
I haven't yet had time to investigate alternatives to the MIME stuff
for MacOS which is used to determine helper application to open files.
If it is any consolation, the situation is almost as dire on Linux (well
a default Redhat install anyway).
Post by Steven Palm
I also have yet to find a solution/workaround for the display of the
ringtones using the REPORT format. This is a Mac issue, perhaps even
related to the version wxWindows I'm running. Removing the Freeze/Thaw
stuff did not help.
I had been thinking of writing my own widget and dispensing with the
builtin wxWindows one anyway. Unfortunately writing widgets is very
time consuming and doesn't really progress BitPim much.

I did see that the first release of wxPython 2.5 is expected around
mid-January.
Post by Steven Palm
Also, On the Mac if I select a ringtone and hit delete, it doesn't
delete, so I can add ringtones, but can't manage to remove them.
Actually it is behaving really stupidly for me on Linux as well. The
widget keeps not redrawing, and won't let me select stuff. I did
change the flags a while back to allow multiple selection. That
is probably causing grief. I will investigate some more.
Post by Steven Palm
Still no way to create .qcp files on MacOS X. {sigh} I found an old
program from Qualcomm for MacOS 9 that lets me convert them, but no way
that I know of to integrate it at all with bitpim.
Yes, Qualcomm are strange. I contacted them to find out if I can
redistribute the Windows convertor binary. Not actually been able
to get an answer out of them. I think once they realise I won't
be paying a penny, they lose interest.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2003-12-30 23:57:11 UTC
I would like to polish up the help files a bit. I have some stuff I
have been working on that is not checked in yet. I'll try to submit
that tomorrow.

For the Sanyo phonebook, the ringer and wall paper assignments are just
indices (numbers). Under 'ringtones' I might save

'ringtone': 0

but for 'wallpapers', I have

'index': 0

Should we change the attribute for an index in ringtones from ringtone
to index? If this should be done, it would be good to change it for the
test release to minimize file incompatibilities between the test release
an a final release.

Steve
2003-12-31 07:36:51 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I would like to polish up the help files a bit. I have some stuff I
have been working on that is not checked in yet. I'll try to submit
that tomorrow.
Cool. A large amount of the help needs updating anyway so you will be
way ahead of the curve there :-)
Post by Stephen Wood
For the Sanyo phonebook, the ringer and wall paper assignments are just
indices (numbers).
They are also that on the LG phones as stored in the phonebook.
There are other files that then get read that map from indices
to names.

The getfundamentals code for LG reads the wallpaper and ringtone
index information, and sets wallpaper-index and ringtone-index
keys.

The getphonebook code then converts the numbers as it reads in
each phonebook entry and publishes them as the filenames (string).

savephonebook converts the other way when it writes out.

So if you can do all that, it will work perfectly.

If you really only have numbers and no names can ever be recovered,
then I think the best way is to make a synthetic name. I would
recommend using "Index" plus the number (or "Sanyo4900Index" plus
number).

The header at the top of phonebook.py does allow for the use
of 'wallpaper' or 'index' for each wallpaper, but the phonebookentryeditor
doesn't pay any attention to index, and will fall over if wallpaper
isn't a string. I think it will be just too complicated at the moment
having both around and would prefer only one (alternately you are
welcome to try and fix the code everywhere :-)
Post by Stephen Wood
If this should be done, it would be good to change it for the
test release to minimize file incompatibilities between the test release
an a final release.
Fortunately file formats aren't an issue. Every file has a version
number in it. On reading, a routine is called that will convert
to a newer version. The function is named 'versionupgrade' by
convention and you can find it in a few places. That makes it
trivial to make content changes. (That said I still haven't
written the routine to convert from phonebook in BitPim 0.62 to
phonebook in 0.7 :-)

The only other piece missing is downgrades. Currently older versions
of BitPim will just try to use the new data and fall over in various
ways. I do need to add code that will ignore more recent versioned
data.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2004-01-01 04:39:09 UTC
If you really only have numbers and no names can ever be recovered,
then I think the best way is to make a synthetic name. I would
recommend using "Index" plus the number (or "Sanyo4900Index" plus
number).
As a quick hack, I implemented synthetic filenames for the Sanyo
phones. For, the "filename" for ringer index 8 is "scp4900Index_8". I
no longer use the 'index' atribute in wallpapers.
Stephen Wood <***@users.sourceforge.net>
John H.
2003-12-31 11:20:00 UTC
is there anything I can do to help the sanyo 4900 be supported for midi, etc? If i bought syncmedia would that help you guys? I wonder if it will work with wine(I just got IE6 working in linux)

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
2003-12-31 12:15:11 UTC
Post by John H.
is there anything I can do to help the sanyo 4900 be supported for midi, etc?
If i bought syncmedia would that help you guys? I wonder if it will work with
wine(I just got IE6 working in linux)
For protocol level stuff, you need to be working with the BitPim code directly.
The high level descriptions are in the *.p files in the source.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bitpim/bitpim/

You would also have to do code that then exercises whatever is written.

The reason why I want to do a test release is that it will provide something
for other people (such as yourself :-) to test. Various things are incomplete
which is why it isn't a non-test release.

What will be most valuable for all of us will be bug reports that include a
reproducable set of steps.

Roger
Chris Cleeland
2003-12-31 16:31:35 UTC
Post by John H.
is there anything I can do to help the sanyo 4900 be supported for midi,
etc? If i bought syncmedia would that help you guys? I wonder if it will
work with wine(I just got IE6 working in linux)
Doubtful it will work with wine. It wants to find the driver that futuredial
installs, and that driver is extremely unlikely to work with wine.
--
Chris Cleeland, cleeland_c @ ociweb.com, http://www.milodesigns.com/~chris
Principal Software Engineer, Object Computing, Inc., +1 314 579 0066
Post by John H.
Donate at http://www.milodesigns.com/donate <<<<<<<<<