[BitPim-devel] Use of Open Source software
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-01 18:44:14 UTC
The BitPim license is the GPL, but with an
exception allowing linking against OpenSSL. For us to get stuff
from other parties, they also have to allow that OpenSSL linking
exception.
Roger, based on your previous post, does that mean that we have to do the same for all open-source-with-GPL packages being considered for use with BITPIM. I was looking into a number of tools to do video stuff but now may have to reconsider. What's your general policy of using open source software with BITPIM?

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-02-02 07:08:39 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
What's your general policy of using open source software with BITPIM?
For any 3rd party, just post here saying that you would intend to use it
and why. That way we can collectively check the licensing, platform
issues and anything else that may come up, including suggestions for
better or alternative libraries.

The licensing issues are very important for pieces we ship and how we
ship them.