[BitPim-devel] Preliminary enV2/VX9100 Support
Joe Pham
2008-06-28 03:06:44 UTC
I just committed some premilinary support to the VX9100: auto-detection and filesystem access. Please check it out and report any problems you may find. Ringtones may also be added into the next test release.

Beauty Advice Just Got a Makeover
Read reviews about the beauty products you have always wanted to try
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pwAd1h55sjcxqUCu4ty8j87RSh5usYfvyeY8S7b2Hiq20k/
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-06-28 21:55:07 UTC
The current code allows users to navigate through the filesystem, but
not read or write to it.

The attached patch allows users to read and write the filesystem on
their enV2. Something has changed that isn't allowing me to read/write
data through the other features. I'll have to look into that some more.

Enjoy.

-A
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-28 23:11:57 UTC
Thanks for checking the new code.
Joe Pham
2008-06-29 05:11:23 UTC
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-29 07:34:49 UTC
Its all good, just had a long day and thought my patch had made it
through and been broken. I do think it would be useful to detect DMv6
to avoid the inevitable if fw_vers==blah code as DMv6 is added to
older phones.

Had you received my description of DMv6 or did you independently
discover how DMv6 works? I don't think LG hid the key very well though
they did a reasonable log of making the assembly a pain to follow.

I find it potentially troubling that your implementation did not work
with Aaron's phone but did work on yours. Was the phone activated? It
could mean the ESN could be more important than I though in
determining the location of the key bytes. Of course we could always
set every byte of each new key to the corresponding XOR key byte. i.e
if the xor key is 0xaabbccdd then the 16-byte key would become
ddddddddccccccccbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaa. Which should always work (now that I
think about it).
Post by Joe Pham
I thought it'd be cleaner to separate them out since the length of
the 0xFE command is different from v5 (7 bytes) to v6 (either 8 or 24
bytes), though
Post by Joe Pham
that may or may not make any practical differences.
It doesn't appear to make any real difference if the 0xfe 00 command
is one byte shorter but I could be wrong. On the other hand I know
that neither the VX-10000 nor VX-8600 are affected if the 0xfe 00
command is too long. Both phones just ignore the extra bytes. What is
really interesting is that if I send a full length 0xfe 03 command to
my phone where the key0 is the DMv5 key the phone still unlocks.

-Nathan

Joe Pham
2008-06-29 05:12:47 UTC
Post by Aaron G. Stemen
The current code allows users to navigate through the filesystem,
but not read or write to it.
What does the log and protocol log show? Any error messages?

Enter for Your Chance to WIN*
The TotalBeauty.com Summer Spa Sweepstakes!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pbxKxTc1dpFnbOInWJuGItkBiksrDHGRZWi1qFGiKZ8GGI/
Joe Pham
2008-06-29 05:24:52 UTC
Is there a reason why the DM version needs to be hardcoded for each
phone? DMv6 is an simply extension of DMv5 and can be detected on
the fly.
I thought it'd be cleaner to separate them out since the length of the 0xFE command is different from v5 (7 bytes) to v6 (either 8 or 24 bytes), though that may or may not make any practical differences.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pwABNrqcf6lIUSlxJ7MjiXATFCm2g8Cbwzsi3oOi5pa3a8/
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-29 08:22:26 UTC
Attached are patches which implement the suggestion from my previous
email (setting all the bytes of keys 1-4). The extended patch extends
DMv5 to autodetect DMv6 and the separate patch keeps DMv5 and DMv6
separate. Joe and Aaron, does setting the keys in this way unlock both
of your phones properly? As I mentioned earlier, neither phone appears
to care if the 0xfe 00 command is one byte too short or too long so
the extended patch should work.
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-06-29 14:29:02 UTC
Both patches work for me. There is a typo in the "separate" patch
though. It's a semicolon versus a colon at then end of a "for"
statement on line 197 or p_lg.p and line 2794 of the resulting p_lg.spy.

I only tested the filesystem though. I haven't tested the other
features. With the other features enabled on Joe's version of the
vx9100 code, I was able to:
* read/write the phone book - phone resets after writing the phone
book. is that normal behavior?
* read/write the calendar - phone resets after writing the phone
book. is that normal behavior?
* read memo
* read t9 user DB - didn't test writing

None of the media features were successful in reading or writing.

-A
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-06-29 16:12:08 UTC
Attached is a patch to enable support for media in the enV2. The
indexentry class takes its cue from the VX-8800 (272 bytes instead of 268).

I disabled the SMS features as I haven't gotten that feature to work
yet. All others that are enabled work. I wanted to try to get this out
the door for the test build so, prvided the DM code works for all
phones, others can at least utilize the media features.

-Aaron
Joe Pham
2008-06-30 04:01:01 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Attached are patches which implement the suggestion from my
previous email (setting all the bytes of keys 1-4).
That's a very good idea, this should cover most if not all cases. Committed.

Summer Spa Sweepstakes
Enter for your chance to WIN a Summer Spa Vacation!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pXuLlCZZ1ebIBfYiTLZO2D1YYVwSjsanyrLNnLau2HpPzG/
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-30 07:33:37 UTC
I have determined how the XOR key bytes are rotated in keys 1-4 of the
0xfe 03 command. I am 99.99% certain that the attached update to the
DMv6 scheme will work with all DMv6 phones (including the Dare).
Experimental Dare support is also attached.

Joe, would you be ok with going to a scheme where DMv6 is detected. I
am fairly certain LG does this in their Dll and I know that both the
Dare and the VX-9100 respond to the shorter DMv5 0xff 00 command
properly with the 0xfe 02 response. I can write up a patch that uses
your DMv6 packet for the 0xfe 03 command.
Joe Pham
2008-06-30 04:05:55 UTC
Post by Aaron G. Stemen
Attached is a patch to enable support for media in the enV2.
Thanks for this and the phonebook patch.

Fabulous Spa Getaway!
Enter for your chance to WIN great beauty prizes everyday!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pn4fkGwH2qXNxck1hTyAQIpyyufXWxaMWCrzCPCkDDcehe/
Joe Pham
2008-07-01 01:12:55 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
I have determined how the XOR key bytes are rotated in keys 1-4 of
the 0xfe 03 command.
It works on mine, so I'm including it in this test release. It could be refined later on.
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Experimental Dare support is also attached.
Thanks for the patch, but that will have to go into next week release.
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Joe, would you be ok with going to a scheme where DMv6 is detected.
I'm open to it, but not sure what that'd buy us.

Save hundreds on Beauty School - Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijngjIsZ1LfWBEVuTVpmphhI47khJKaf4suZS1kLF4pkdSSqQ/
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-07-01 04:04:19 UTC
Joe,

The benefit of having logic to detect DMv5 versus DMv6 is useful in the
fact that a VX9100 phone that has not been activated still uses DMv5.
It's not until the phone has been activated, and the new firmware is
downloaded that the phone uses DMv6. This will allow a user to select
the VX9100 and use Bitpim for it whether it has been activated or not.

-A
Nathan Hjelm
2008-07-02 17:09:18 UTC
Thanks for helping me try to get Joe to accept a new idea. He can be difficult to convince at times. I understand where he is coming from (he doesn't want to break phone support for any phone for the benefit of another) but he takes it too far sometimes (read that as breaking my code).

Anyway, it turns out the VX9700 also has a HPE entry at the end of the phonebook file. Can you check that entry and let me know if it just contains the phone model and the bytes bc 07 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 02 .

Also, does SMS read work at all? How about media read? I have a feeling that if those don't work it is for the same reason as the Dare.

-Nathan
Nathan Hjelm
Nathan Hjelm
2008-07-02 20:00:41 UTC
Dare phone support is attached :D.

Aaron, take a look at the sms and call history stuff from the VX-9700 code when you get a chance. It is quite possible that the VX-9100 uses the same (or similar) file formats. Also, I think that it might be a good idea to change the VX-9100 to inherit from the VX-8800 to get the sms read code (seems to be more related to the Voyager than the enV1 anyway).

If the sms file formats are the same we can move the sms code (and packets) from the VX-9700 into the VX-9100 and then I can set VX-9700 can inherit from the VX-9100. Likewise with the call history.

What works:
- Phonebook (read/write)
- Media (read/write)
- Calendar (read/write)
- SMS (read)
- Call history (read)
- Memo (read)

-Nathan
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-07-02 23:48:11 UTC
Well here's where I am with the VX-9100:

The SMS code for the VX-9700 works on the VX-9100, so I was able to read
the SMS messages on my phone. I can't test the phone book because my
phone book file has changed as a result of some testing I was doing over
the weekend. Namely overwriting the phone book without the HPE entry.
I thought I had a backup, but I don't, so I can't look at the HPE entry
that was there nor can I restore it. Joe may be able to verify the HPE
entry in the pbentry.dat file.

I'm attaching a patch without the code for the HPE entry since I can't
verify whether or not it'll work for the VX-9100. It's pretty much copy
and paste without any real clean up (running short on time today).

Following Nathan's format, what works:
- Media (read/write)
- Calendar (read/write) note: phone resets after writing the
calendar. is that supposed to happen???
- SMS (read)
- Call history (read)
- Memo (read)
- T9 User DB (read/write)
2008-07-01 11:07:14 UTC
Post by Aaron G. Stemen
The benefit of having logic to detect DMv5 versus DMv6 is useful in
the fact that a VX9100 phone that has not been activated still uses
DMv5
You mean it'd use the shorter v6 command, I doubt that it needs the v5 command.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pbwo2y9aQsZTcrCXnOwkA5NIop6qlGMryQQOGHnVpHOb3m/
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-07-01 12:11:36 UTC
I'm not sure what you mean. Bitpim works with the VX9100 under the
VX10000 profile prior to being activated. If that's considered the
"shorter v6 command", then so be it. Afterward, it requires the new DM
scheme. Either way, it's likely that it needs to be conditional so that
Bitpim will work with the phone before and after activation and still use
the VX9100 profile.

-A
2008-07-02 01:50:58 UTC
Post by Aaron G. Stemen
Either way, it's likely that it needs to be conditional so that
Bitpim will work with the phone before and after activation and
still use the VX9100 profile.
I'm fairly confident that it would.

Sweepstakes!!!
Enter for your chance to WIN one of hundreds of daily prizes.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/JKFkuJO6pj2ouQ7XPBSfY7hMnfbxTB9HgEdYKNNGHX4CLxHSWZ0Olm/
Nathan Hjelm
2008-07-02 06:24:19 UTC
DMv6 should work on unactivated phones the way it is coded though I
have not been able to confirm it.

My reasoning for detecting DMv6 is that other phones will eventually
be switched over to DMv6. In order to avoid having to update each
phone's support code when the phone is updated to DMv6 (with if
fw_vers == statements) we could detect DMv6. This way a new release
doesn't have to be pushed out every time firmware is updated. I think
this is a very useful feature.

We could also detect DMv5 by sending the DMv5 command on
initialization of the DM code. LG phones respond with a 0x15 error if
DMv5 is not available. At this point all the DMv4 phones that will go
to DMv5 probably have so detecting DMv5 is less important but it still
might be a nice feature as well.

-Nathan
2008-07-02 22:34:08 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
My reasoning for detecting DMv6 is that other phones will
eventually be switched over to DMv6. In order to avoid having to
update each phone's support code when the phone is updated to DMv6
(with if fw_vers == statements) we could detect DMv6
I suspect that the short v6 command would work fine with existing phones, and if that's the case, we need to do nothing further. Othwerwise, feel free to give it a try.

Click to become a designer and quit your boring job.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijlSIOg18SUUJfkAvRDovJdewqJ06CX8ut7BhmQoi7CZJpTMo/
Joe Pham
2008-07-02 22:36:59 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
no offense meant Joe.
None taken. By the way, to avoid duplicate work, I'm working on the VX9100 support, except for the SMS feature because my unit is not currently active.

Stop foreclosure. Click here to stay in your home and rebuild credit.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijlzUBlB7jfFdy4wgygra6yeJQnNSmd4AAS7I0CaVIDg8kgfi/
Nathan Hjelm
2008-07-02 22:48:20 UTC
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you had one of the phones but it was clear that if you had one the phone wasn't active (if that was the case all of the file formats would have long since been decoded ;) ). Since the Dare and enV2 are from the same generation I hope Aaron can shed some light on the VX-9100 sms and call history so I can figure out the best inheritance for the Dare and the enV2. I have a feeling that the Decoy and Chocolate 3 will also be very similar.

-Nathan
Nathan Hjelm
2008-07-03 01:35:16 UTC
I see you have pushed the phonebook update for the VX-9100. I can
confirm that the coding changes have no effect on the VX-8800/
VX-10000. Once a test release is available I can recruit some people
to test the 9100 phonebook read on their VX-8550s. If it works it
would probably be a good idea to move the code to the VX-8550. The
only difference between the two phonebook formats is that the enV2 and
Dare have a HPE entry at the end of the file which effectively limits
the maximum number of phonebook entries to 999. This entry can be
skipped using the code you added to the phonebook entry packet. I am
unsure if the existence of the HPE entry is important to the phone
(probably not).

-Nathan
Aaron Stemen
2008-07-03 02:41:49 UTC
I can tell you that I accidentally eliminated the HPE entry from my VX-9100. I haven't had any issues yet. I would like to restore it when the phone book operations are working properly just to make sure that I don't encounter any issues unforeseen issues.

-A