[BitPim-devel] Re: [BitPim-user] pixel size for a670
Roger Binns
2005-03-07 03:04:56 UTC
Joe,

Did you get these sizes and formats into the Samsung models as targets?
128 X 128 24-bit bmp = Wallpaper only, that goes under Verizon banner and date/time and makes it not show up very well. (not very
common but some people like it)
128 X 110 24-bit bmp = Wallpaper only that shows Verizon banner and date/time (most common for wallpaper)
128 X 110 8-bit bmp = Wallpaper or Picture ID (but only 8 bit)
128 X 96 24-bit bmp = Great for External picture ID but makes wallpaper with crappy white border
I don't think there is any need to offer PNG. The vast majority are
not going to know the difference between BMP and PNG and forcing
someone to make a choice isn't very user friendly.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-07 03:17:09 UTC
I don't think there is any need to offer PNG. The vast majority are
not going to know the difference between BMP and PNG and forcing
someone to make a choice isn't very user friendly.
As a matter of fact, I'm testing those formats right now. If I were to narrow down to a single format, I'd lean toward PNG for wallpaper and JPG for Pix ID due to their small sizes. BMP files are huge! This is what I've come up based on my testing:

Fullscreen 128x160 PNG
Wallpaper 128x128 PNG
Pix ID 96x96 JPG

I'll update the A670 profile tonight. Tomorrow night build as planned?

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-03-07 03:27:44 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
If I were to narrow down to a single format, I'd lean toward PNG for wallpaper and
JPG for Pix ID due to their small sizes.
That sounds good and was part of the idea of offering targets. Users say what
they want to use the image for and we work out he best way to deal with it.
Post by d***@netzero.com
BMP files are huge!
That will depend on if any compression (RLE) happens. RLE is also only useful
for cartoon style images.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Tomorrow night build as planned?
Yup. I have been busy updating APSW today. There aren't any changes that
will affect BitPim.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2005-03-07 13:34:36 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Fullscreen 128x160 PNG
Wallpaper 128x128 PNG
Pix ID 96x96 JPG
I'll update the A670 profile tonight. Tomorrow night build as planned?
Joe, I do believe the width of all pix on the A670 is 128 pixels
including the external Pix ID pictures. But I would agree on those
heights.

Vic
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-07 14:38:49 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Joe, I do believe the width of all pix on the A670 is 128 pixels
including the external Pix ID pictures. But I would agree on those
heights.
Vic, it is true that the resolution of the external LCD is 128x96. However, it appears that the phone displays a picture ID image as a square 96x96 on both internal & external LCD. Beside providing the correct image aspect ration, my thinking is why wastes those extra pixels if they're not getting displayed anyway. Let me know if you believe otherwise.