[BitPim-devel] error switching modes
E L
2005-02-10 00:32:40 UTC
Hey,
when trying to get phone numbers I keep getting:

2:25:06.892 SCH-N392: trying to switch from BREW mode
2:25:06.919 SCH-N392: Switching from BREW to modem
2:25:12.962 Error: Device needs attention - SCH-N392 on /dev/ttyUSB2
SCH-N392 on /dev/ttyUSB2: The phone is not responding while
transitioning mode from none to phonebook.

See the help for troubleshooting tips

when I do maunally at#PMODE=0 it works fine
(manually means using cu -l/dev/ttyUSB2)
it seems to happen from self.setmode(self.MODEPHONEBOOK) in getfundamentals

right now com_samsungschn392.py is preety much a copy of com_samsungscha670.py

Ely
Stephen Wood
2005-02-10 01:16:05 UTC
You might try replacing "_setmodebrewtomodem" in com_samsung.py with
the routine of the same name in com_samsung_packet.py. In principle
it does the same thing, but does it a little differently.

AT#PMODE=0 is not what your code is trying to send to the phone when
you get the error. It is trying to send the packet
"setmodemmoderequest" (in p_brew.p) which is something are not likely
to be able to send with cu.

Stephen
Hey,
E L
2005-02-10 12:24:44 UTC
It didn't work,
I also noticed I get the same error when switching from none to brew.
any ideas on how I can find out what's wrong?
Post by Stephen Wood
You might try replacing "_setmodebrewtomodem" in com_samsung.py with
the routine of the same name in com_samsung_packet.py. In principle
it does the same thing, but does it a little differently.
AT#PMODE=0 is not what your code is trying to send to the phone when
you get the error. It is trying to send the packet
"setmodemmoderequest" (in p_brew.p) which is something are not likely
to be able to send with cu.
Stephen
Hey,
E L
2005-02-10 16:41:55 UTC
18:35:35.515 SCH-N392: trying to switch from BREW mode
18:35:35.516 SCH-N392: _setmodebrewtomodem
18:35:35.516 SCH-N392: Switching from BREW to modem
18:35:35.516 /dev/ttyUSB2: Writing Data - 8 bytes
00000000 41 54 45 30 56 31 0d 0a ATE0V1..

so it does send an AT command while trying to switch from brew mode to
modem mode?
commenting the line make it work a bit longer till the next mode change
could it be something changed in the mode change protocol?
anyway I can check that?
do you guys care enough to guide a new person trying to contribute or
am I tags as an annoying newbie and should stop maling to the list?
Post by Stephen Wood
You might try replacing "_setmodebrewtomodem" in com_samsung.py with
the routine of the same name in com_samsung_packet.py. In principle
it does the same thing, but does it a little differently.
AT#PMODE=0 is not what your code is trying to send to the phone when
you get the error. It is trying to send the packet
"setmodemmoderequest" (in p_brew.p) which is something are not likely
to be able to send with cu.
Stephen
Hey,
Stephen Wood
2005-02-11 00:04:45 UTC
We can try to help where we can, as time permits, but there are limits
since none of the active developers has your phone model.

Do you know if your phone is actually in Brew mode? Can you browse
the filesystem?

ATE0V1 is a modem mode command. So either the phone has at that point
already transitioned from Brew mode, or BitPim thinks that is has and
is using ATE0V1 to make sure.

Since you can talk to the phone directly with a terminal emulation
program, I would as a first step, document the AT command set used to
retrieve the phonebook from your phone. We have put information about
a number of Samsung phones into samsungnotes.txt in the dev-doc
directory. I'll add any information you supply about your phone to
that file.

Stephen
E L
Stephen Wood
2005-02-13 21:04:38 UTC
I added your notes to dev-doc/samsungnotes.txt.

What carrier is your phone on?

Thanks, Stephen
Attached is what I got so far
E L
2005-02-13 21:56:46 UTC
It's an Israeli one called Pelephone (www.pelephone.co.il).

I didn't get brew mode to work (it claims to move to it but I didnt
figure out how to talk to it when it's in that mode).

And I can't seem to figure out how to make write to work, even when I do get ok
it doesn't seem to change anything, So I'm trying to see how some other program
which seems to work does it. (If only wine would run it:)

Ely
Post by Stephen Wood
I added your notes to dev-doc/samsungnotes.txt.
What carrier is your phone on?
Thanks, Stephen
Post by E L
Attached is what I got so far