[BitPim-devel] LG VX3200 phonebook findings
Bruce S
2005-06-11 15:54:43 UTC
I have been working on the LG VX3200 phonebook and am about ready to
submit my code in support of this feature. First a quick observation and
question . . .

Reading the phonebook is completely successful. It is possible to get
all the information and make sense of it all in BitPim.

Writing the phonebook is not as successful. Most of the writing works
with the exception of assigning a Group, ringers and wallpaper to the
entries. [NOTE - John O"Shaughnessy reported an almost identical
pb/wallpaper problem for the LG VX6100. John, any resolution? I do not see
any in the 6100 code.] The specific problems are:

1. Only the builtin Groups (none, Family, etc.) are accepted when
writing pb entries. Custom Groups are not accepted even though they can
be read OK.

2. No wallpapers can be assigned to pb entries. They can be read OK.

3. Only a subset of the builtin ringers are accepted when writing pb
entries. All ringer assignments (including custom ones) can be read OK.

I have done a LOT of testing and it just looks like this phone continues
to demonstrate that it is the result of a slash and hack by LG. The
filesystem is very spartan and I do not see any other index files
lurking about that may address any of the limitations above.

My plan:
Impose limits in convertphonebooktophone() to avoid sending extraneous
pb values to the phone. Emit warnings when these limits are hit.
Document all the the limitations very clearly in the Help.
--
Bruce Schurmann
BitPim LG-VX3200 dev
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-06-11 17:45:29 UTC
Post by Bruce S
Writing the phonebook is not as successful. Most of the writing works
with the exception of assigning a Group, ringers and wallpaper to the
entries. [NOTE - John O"Shaughnessy reported an almost identical
pb/wallpaper problem for the LG VX6100. John, any resolution? I do not see
1. Only the builtin Groups (none, Family, etc.) are accepted when
writing pb entries. Custom Groups are not accepted even though they can
be read OK.
2. No wallpapers can be assigned to pb entries. They can be read OK.
3. Only a subset of the builtin ringers are accepted when writing pb
entries. All ringer assignments (including custom ones) can be read OK.
Bruce -- I've been away from the code for a few weeks, but in the
past, Roger has pointed to index offsets as the key to the problem in
writing the phonebook. Based on my experimentation, he's right. I
haven't tried groups, but my ringer assignments work OK on the 6100.
wallpaper assignments are still a bit "off." When I make a wallpaper
assignment in the phonebook, it is ignored when written back to the
phone -- which is a good thing, since the image selected doesn't
match what the list shows, so I have some work to do there.

John