[BitPim-devel] New Contact Editor Screenshots
Joe Pham
2005-12-12 22:52:04 UTC
Based on Roger's suggestion.

-Joe Pham
Jerad Clark
2005-12-13 04:14:11 UTC
Coming at this from a enduser perspective, I have no idea what those
buttons (up down left and right) do, by looking at it.

I assume that left and right either change tabs (which makes little
sense), or they change the contact I am editing.

As far as the up and down go, I have zero guesses, and labeling them
up and down doesn't get me anywhere.

Maybe once I'm told what they do, it would make total sense, but right
now... I have no idea.
Post by Joe Pham
Based on Roger's suggestion.
All the evil in th
Jerad Clark
2005-12-13 05:24:13 UTC
OK, after a whole lot more staring at it, I've decided that the
up/down buttons move the numbers up and down in order. yeah, I'm a
genius.

I'm sure it's not that easy, but dragging and dropping the entries
around would be a lot cooler. And save on the clicks if you want to
move one from the bottom to the top.

Jerad
Post by Jerad Clark
Coming at this from a enduser perspective, I have no idea what those
buttons (up down left and right) do, by looking at it.
I assume that left and right either change tabs (which makes little
sense), or they change the contact I am editing.
As far as the up and down go, I have zero guesses, and labeling them
up and down doesn't get me anywhere.
Maybe once I'm told what they do, it would make total sense, but right
now... I have no idea.
Post by Joe Pham
Based on Roger's suggestion.
All the evil in this world is a denial of what is true.
All the evil in this world is a denial of what is t
Joe Pham
2005-12-13 05:21:54 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
Coming at this from a enduser perspective, I have no idea what those
buttons (up down left and right) do, by looking at it.
Left & right navigates to the next & previous contact. Up & down moves the order of the field up & down. These are not different than those in the previous UI.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Joe Pham
2005-12-13 05:41:05 UTC
dragging and dropping the entries around would be a lot cooler.
Not bad an idea. That would be cooler!

Roger Binns
2005-12-13 05:47:32 UTC
I think it looks pretty ugly as the buttons are too big!
It should be possible to subclass the groupbox (the widget
that draws the line around everything) and then override
the OnPaint handler to call the original and then draw
way smaller buttons in the top right corner.

Drag and drop is also interesting. You should be able to
handle that in the same subclassed widget.

2005-12-13 13:19:57 UTC
It should be possible to subclass the groupbox
Another good idea, will look into both approaches.

Brent Roettger
2005-12-13 19:10:37 UTC
I like the drag and drop idea for moving stuff around, but there is a lot of
wasted space and repeated controls on the current screenshots.

Here is another idea...

Use an editable datagrid and have the buttons on the side. Similar to using
windows dialog for managing wireless network (attached image). I would add
column titles to the top and make it editable. The up, down, add and remove
buttons are only enabled when they make sense.

I think approach is more intuitive to most users because it is similar to
other apps/os that they have used.

Just my $.02

Brent Roettger
Stephen Wood
2005-12-13 19:34:45 UTC
I guess this is not really related to the design of the contact editor
screen, but I would to have a way to see statistics about the contacts.
Namely, a away to see how many contacts you have, and how many phone
numbers, email addresses and URL's are contained within those contacts.
This would be to help users judge if they are close to the limits of their
phone. All phones limit how many contacts they will hold, but many also
have a limit on the total number of phone numbers can be held. Sometimes
that limit may include the email and urls. For example, sanyo phones hold
300 contacts. While there are 7 numbers allowed per contact, the phone does
not allow more than 500 numbers total.

I don't know if these statistics should go in the contacts tab, or if there
should be a separate statistics tab. (Perhaps part of the today tab.) In
principle we should show not just statics on contacts, but also calendar
entries, SMS messages, ringers, wallpaper, etc.

Stephen
Roger Binns
2005-12-14 07:04:12 UTC
Post by Brent Roettger
Use an editable datagrid and have the buttons on the side. Similar to using
windows dialog for managing wireless network (attached image).
That only works with simple one line items and wxPython has that functionality
for a listbox. It is more complicated and less obvious when the item is an
entire postal address etc.

BTW for anyone who is interested in gui design, BitPim is a great project to
help. However first make sure you read About Face and Inmates:

http://cooper.com/content/insights/cooper_books.asp