[BitPim-devel] user documentation
Mark Weber
2007-05-26 20:45:12 UTC
I'd like to contribute to the user documentation.
I've looked around a bit on the developer site,
but have not been able to find it.

Is it available for tweaks by interested parties?
Joe Pham
2007-05-26 21:20:12 UTC
I'd like to contribute to the user documentation. I've looked
around a bit on the developer site, but have not been able to find
it.
It's not available on there, since typically, nobody wants to do
documentation (including yours truly! :-)
Is it available for tweaks by interested parties?
Yes, certainly! Each help page is essentially an html file. If
you're somewhat familiar with html, you're ready to go. Even if you
never work with html but can edit texts, you're also good to go. Let
me know which page/section you'd like to work on, I can either point
you to which html file it is in the SVN repository, or I can just
email the file to you. Post/emai it back once you're done.

-Joe Pham
Mark Weber
2007-05-26 22:27:43 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Yes, certainly! Each help page is essentially an html file. If
you're somewhat familiar with html, you're ready to go.
-Joe Pham
I'm good to go on HTML.

The stuff I wanted to tweak is:

o) document the "shift key" trick on the "image preview"
page; currently, this is documented only on the FAQ
(at least, as far as I can tell)

o) add some specifics about vx8700:
a) I used "music kit" that said vx8500 and vx8600 on
box; software and cable worked fine
b) I used drivers from music kit and no other software
c) cable is not straight through, has a "brick" in the
middle
____

Has any consideration been given to documenting
using a wiki? This would have the advantage that
it would be easy to edit and update by interested
parties. Of course, access would have to be controlled
to limit vandalism.

Having the help file local is certainly nice, but I'd
prefer a more accurate and up-to-date document
on the web. After all, BitPim is pretty darn easy
to use. There continues to be a need for
documentation of various fine points, which does
not seem to require the immediacy of local
documentation.

I have occasionally made edits to Wikipedia
(along with about a million of my closest friends);
I think some users would be willing to update
with their first-hand experience if it was easy.

There certainly are some disadvantages, so
it's not a slam dunk. But maybe it would encourage
others to write documentation so that developers
who don't want to don't have to.
Joe Pham
2007-05-27 18:41:54 UTC
o) document the "shift key" trick on the "image preview" page;
currently, this is documented only on the FAQ (at least, as far as I
can tell)
The file is dialog-imagepreview.htd
The file is phone-lgvx8700.htd
Has any consideration been given to documenting using a wiki?
We have an experimental one: <www.bitpim.org/wiki>. It's not
completely setup and has some outdated info. But you're welcome to
try it out.
But maybe it would encourage others to write documentation so that
developers who don't want to don't have to.
You got my vote!

-Joe Pham
Mark Weber
2007-05-28 02:01:30 UTC
Here are the two modified .htd files.
Feel free to use as-is or to modify further.

I'll follow up about the wiki later on.
Stephen Wood
2007-05-28 02:39:33 UTC
Post by Mark Weber
Here are the two modified .htd files.
Feel free to use as-is or to modify further.
I'll follow up about the wiki later on.
Right now, we have to create accounts for users that want to edit the wiki.
If you are interested, mail me a username you would like to use.

Stephen
Christopher Matuszak
2007-05-28 18:45:48 UTC
i wanna help..... ChrisMatuszak for username

Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 22:39:33 -0400From: ***@gmail.comTo: ***@treysoft.com; bitpim-***@lists.sourceforge.netSubject: Re: [BitPim-devel] user documentationOn 5/27/07, Mark Weber <***@treysoft.com> wrote: