[Bitpim-devel] Mac vCard export/import broken
Peter Dufault
2004-09-02 11:32:48 UTC
The Mac vCard export/import is broken. I don't know if this is from
the wxpython change or the recent UTF-8 fixes to support accent marks.

You have some samples with accent marks (Musée d'Orsay and Düsseldorf)
that I sent before.
I'm attaching one again.

Previously the names came in garbled, for example:

Musée d'Orsay was imported as Musée d'Orsay

Now there is an unexpected exception.

Also, and this bug may have existed before, if a filename has an accent
mark it can't be opened.

Hopefully both will be fixed with Unicode on the Mac's wxpython, but
the first problem is new and breaks vCard import.

I've attached the tracebacks since I know some readers don't like
wrapped text and I can't turn it off.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-09-04 07:50:11 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Musée d'Orsay was imported as Musée d'Orsay
That isn't garbled - it is an xml character reference. I did
change the code so it would use a ? or equivalent instead now.
Post by Peter Dufault
Now there is an unexpected exception.
The first one I can't quite figure out. It seems like that when
a Latin-1 codec is requested, an ASCII is actually getting used.
I can't quite figure out why.
Post by Peter Dufault
Hopefully both will be fixed with Unicode on the Mac's wxpython, but
the first problem is new and breaks vCard import.
It breaks in Unicode mode as well.

As for the second issue, BitPim is never modifying that string.
A standard wxPython file selection box is used, and the results
are passed directly to the open() call. That should ordinarily
work, even for a non-unicode wxPython. The function
sys.getfilesystemencoding() returns what encoding is used to
convert from unicode to filenames, but doesn't seem relevant
here. The best thing to do would be to reproduce the problem
with the wxPython demo and then bug report it.

Roger
Peter Wood
2004-09-06 14:50:26 UTC
I've also noticed that this is broken on the Mac. I have included a
copy of my traceback and the vCard that generated the exception. The
vCard was created using Address Book 3.1.2 (v321) on Mac OS X 10.3.5,
and the import was done using BitPim 0.7.17.
Peter R. Wood - ***@gmail.com - http://prwdot.org/
Roger Binns
2004-09-06 19:14:25 UTC
Post by Peter Wood
I've also noticed that this is broken on the Mac. I have included a
copy of my traceback and the vCard that generated the exception. The
vCard was created using Address Book 3.1.2 (v321) on Mac OS X 10.3.5,
and the import was done using BitPim 0.7.17.
Your particular problem is that you are running from the BitPim distributed
"binary" which only includes two or three of the codecs. The next binary
release will include all of them.

If you run from source you will not get the problem.

Roger
Peter Wood
2004-09-07 01:39:41 UTC
Your particular problem is that you are running from the BitPim distributed
"binary" which only includes two or three of the codecs. The next binary
release will include all of them.
Ok, I'll consider myself advised. :-) I have yet to get around to
building BitPim from source. I get tired before I even get through the
list of prerequisites. ;-) Maybe some day when I have lots of time and
nothing to do (yeah right)... ;-)

Peter
--
Peter R. Wood - ***@gmail.com - http://prwdot.org/