[BitPim-devel] BitPim 1.0.5 & LG vx9100 - Failed to transition to DM
Eric Dickinson
2008-05-06 21:49:01 UTC
Hello.

There are a whole bunch of people on HowardForums that would like to use
BitPim with the new LG vx9100 (aka enV2). Unfortunately, BitPim
complains that "Access to the file/directory has been blocked on this
phone by the phone provider". This is the primary problem.

Now, I'm *assuming* that this problem would not arise if the phone could
be placed in DM (diagnostic mode?). And it's evident from the logs, that
this isn't happening:

14:10:58.539 COM10: USB support is not available
14:10:58.540 COM10: Opening port COM10, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000,
hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
14:11:00.364 COM10: Open of comm port suceeded
14:11:00.367 LG-VX10000: Attempting to contact phone
14:11:00.368 LG-VX10000: Retrieving fundamental phone information
14:11:00.368 LG-VX10000: Phone serial number
14:11:00.450 LG-VX10000: Now in brew mode
14:11:00.493 LG-VX10000: Reading group information
14:11:00.640 LG-VX10000: Failed to transition to DM
14:11:00.641 LG-VX10000: stat file pim/pbgroup.dat
14:11:00.684 Error: Access Denied
Access to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone
provider

(BTW, the consensus on the forum is that the vx10000 is close enough,
but other LG model choices do the same thing.)

I looked at the source code and found the bit responsible for the DM
transition in com_lg.py.
MrPib
2008-05-08 12:44:55 UTC
BTW, the consensus on HowardForums is that the vx9100 doesn't exhibit
any of the restricted filesystem behavior until the device has been
activated for the first time. I suspect (but don't really know) that the
DM transition fails in this state as well...but the phone is not
protected at all. BitPim is reported to work fine until the device is
activated. If access to the device's files is necessary to reverse
engineer the hash again, it might be necessary to get your hands on a
not-yet-activated vx9100.
I'm itching for a 9100, but I don't want one if bitpim doesn't work with it.
I'd be willing to order one via mail order, and play around with it before
activating it, up to the 30-day return cutoff. Please let me know if I can
help out this way.

Thanks!
Pib
Nathan Hjelm

agstemen

Nathan Hjelm
2008-05-18 17:17:06 UTC
No progress has been made so far as I am still trying to get a copy of
the vx9100 lgdownload dll. Once I have the dll I will be able to
reverse engineer the new dm mode challenge.

-Nathan
arthurmullard
2008-05-23 03:11:37 UTC
I note that in the VX8700, the key is clearly visible in the hex of both the
DLL and the device firmware image.

0x67452301L, 0xefcdab89L, 0x98badcfeL, 0x10325476L, 0xc3d2e1f0L

T87V01.bin contains it at offset : 0xe83534
VX8700.dll contains it at offset 0xb8db8

I'm curious, does anyone have the current VX910V3.bin firmware file?
There's no obvious way to guess where the key lives in that file, but
interesting anyway.
I guess if the file leaked, the dll would too..
Art
--
http://www.nabble.com/BitPim-1.0.5---LG-vx9100---Failed-to-transition-to-DM-tp17093100p17303349.html
agstemen

mchanna
2008-06-05 15:09:50 UTC
Saw this on another board, not sure if its of any use...

"Well, I just put ringtones on an activated ENV2 using the Voyager settings
on bitpim.

The secret?

I used a Cellebrite transfer machine to put the phone into a "service
required" mode to transfer pix and videos, and before it rebooted, I yanked
it off the cellebrite and plugged it into the computer running bitpim.

So the trick will be now, is how to put the 9100 into this "service
required" mode without the $800 celebrite machine.

EDIT: Its a little harder than that is seems, I tried it again, and it
wouldn't work. I had to pull the 9100 off the celebrite at precisely the
right time for bitpim to be able to write to it, and it seems like if its
off too long, the phone re-locks the filesystem again.

Weird."
agstemen
2008-06-21 15:11:07 UTC
I'm finding the same key in the VX9100 DLL at address 0xC3090. The DLL works
in LGDownload. I'm not sure how to watch the communication activity between
the app and the phone. If I knew that, i could try to reproduce it in
BitPim.
MrPib
2008-06-20 13:53:32 UTC
Saw in a HoFo thread that the 9100 DLL is available!!
http://www.mobile - files.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14889&page=26
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-22 15:52:47 UTC
I have attached experimental VX-9100 support. I need someone to help
me test this code to see if it works.
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-06-22 17:21:01 UTC
It doesn't work. there was a syntactical error that I corrected
(changed "else if" to "elif" on line 1599 of com_lg.py), but it doesn't
fall into the DMv6 code you have set up. The response unlock code is
still 0x00 instead of 0x02. I forced it into the DMv6 unlock method,
and it still doesn't work.

I'm attaching the text from exception window when it falls into the DMv5
code, the log from said exception, and the log from forcing it into the
DMv6 code (which doesn't cause an exception).

Let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help.

-Aaron
Nathan Hjelm
2008-06-22 17:28:28 UTC
Hmm, can you send me the protocol log? I have only seen the VX-9100
respond to
fe 00 00 00 00 00 00
with
fe 02 XX XX XX XX 01 where X is any hex number

-Nathan
-Aaron
Aaron G. Stemen
2008-06-22 17:46:47 UTC
Absolutely. Here is one from your code where it falls into the DMv5
unlock, and one from me forcing it into the DMv6 unlock.

The file is a ZIP file, so you'll have to change the extension from BAK
to ZIP.

-A
mchanna