[BitPim-devel] new "video-index" dict?
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-17 06:15:20 UTC
Roger, I'm doing video download for the A670 using a similar approach to downloading wallpapers. Everything's working out ok, except for one issue: the video items are showing up in the "wallpapers" selection for both contact and calendar items. No big deal, but it looks kinda hokey. What do you think 'bout using a separate "video-index" dict for the video items so that they show up only in the wallpaper tab.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-02-17 07:58:27 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Roger, I'm doing video download for the A670 using a similar approach to
the video items are showing up in the "wallpapers" selection for both contact
and calendar items. No big deal, but it looks kinda hokey. What do you
think 'bout using a separate "video-index" dict for the video items so that
they show up only in the wallpaper tab.
I think that is solving the right problem the wrong way :-)

Rather than split things out, I am inclined to unify them. Your phone
doesn't do video as wallpaper, but how long do you think it will be
until phones do that. Even the current distinction between audio and
images is blurred with video or PMD files. How long before a phone
lets you use a video as a ringtone or alarm?

It seems like the right thing would be to combine all media into one(*),
and then in various bits of the UI have what you can select be limited
by the phone model, and hook off of the origin field for what is
allowed.

In the short term feel free to filter out items with an origin of
video in the relevant phonebook and calendar item editors.

(*) When we support voice memos, they'll need to be hooked in as
well. Some phones let you use voice memos as ringtones and
others don't.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2005-02-17 15:20:22 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Roger, I'm doing video download for the A670 using a similar approach
to downloading wallpapers. Everything's working out ok, except for
one issue: the video items are showing up in the "wallpapers"
selection for both contact and calendar items. No big deal, but it
looks kinda hokey. What do you think 'bout using a separate
"video-index" dict for the video items so that they show up only in
the wallpaper tab.
I'd be interested in seeing what you are up to. Are you looking into
downloading the audio track also? On the Samsung A670 this is in
/nvm/camcoder0/vst_memo for the first video or /nvm/camcoder1/vst_memo
for the second. I presume from what I read here that they would go
under ringers with an origin of video.

Vic
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-17 16:26:54 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
I'd be interested in seeing what you are up to. Are you looking into
downloading the audio track also? On the Samsung A670 this is in
/nvm/camcoder0/vst_memo for the first video or /nvm/camcoder1/vst_memo
for the second. I presume from what I read here that they would go
under ringers with an origin of video.
I have not found a codec on either Windows or Linux that can play those audio files, I don't know about the Mac side. Right now, I'm just downloading the video part (with no audio) as an AVI file. Once I figure out how to convert the audio part, it'd be integrated into the AVI file and/or saved as a standalone ringer. I'd be interested in any insights you may have wrt the audio stuff.

Vic Heintz
2005-02-17 17:22:49 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Post by Vic Heintz
I'd be interested in seeing what you are up to. Are you looking into
downloading the audio track also? On the Samsung A670 this is in
/nvm/camcoder0/vst_memo for the first video or /nvm/camcoder1/vst_memo
for the second. I presume from what I read here that they would go
under ringers with an origin of video.
I have not found a codec on either Windows or Linux that can play
those audio files, I don't know about the Mac side. Right now, I'm
just downloading the video part (with no audio) as an AVI file. Once
I figure out how to convert the audio part, it'd be integrated into
the AVI file and/or saved as a standalone ringer. I'd be interested
in any insights you may have wrt the audio stuff.
My guess is that they are the same format as the other voice memo files
(/nvm/vst/vst_memo0,1,2,....) If you append ".pmd" to any one of these
files and copy it into the brew/ringer dir, it can be used on the phone
as a ringer. I don't know if they really are this pmd format but the
phone is happy with this extension.

Vic
d***@netzero.com