[Bitpim-devel] Bitpim support for LG6070
Gerard Escalante
2004-06-25 02:29:19 UTC
Hi:

I've got an LG 6070, and have been using Bitpim to upload ringtones,
wallpapers, and apps to my phone. To date, I've had to manually modify the
filesystem with the appropriate files.

I would like to use the Wallpaper/Ringtones tab, but none of the supported
models seem to work properly with my phone.

I'd be willing to add support to Bitpim for this phone, but wouldn't want to
duplicate any work.

Is anything being done for the 6070, or should I go ahead and do it?

Thanks!

Gerard Escalante

PS: Apologies to the moderator, who was annoyed twice because I failed to
choose the right e-mail identity. =P Hopefully I get it right the third time
around.
Roger Binns
2004-06-25 21:45:21 UTC
Post by Gerard Escalante
I'd be willing to add support to Bitpim for this phone, but wouldn't want to
duplicate any work.
Is anything being done for the 6070, or should I go ahead and do it?
Nothing is being done for that phone to my knowledge.

Please answer the following questions and we will figure out what to
do next. BTW also ensure you can run BitPim from source - instructions
are at the developer page.

- Which carriers have it? [The idea is to figure out if there are
different variants with the same model number. For example there
are Brew based and J2ME based LG VX4600 which do almost everything
different - phonebook, calendar, media etc] I can only find this
phone on LG's site, and like most LG documentation it is completely
uninformative and useless

- Please email me a zip backup of the whole filesystem. It will be
good if you ensure there is data (even if it is nonsense) in all
locations such as the phonebook, wallpapers, ringtones, calendar,
text and voice notes etc

- How many phonebook entries are there? Does any of the existing
LG model code work? You can try VX4400, VX4500 and VX4600 (Telus/J2ME)
which are all (slightly) different. Ensure you turn on protocol
logging and after reading the phonebook from the phone press
ctrl-alt-p in the protocol log. Navigate down to where phonebook
entries are read and verify the fields are the right sizes etc.
You should get some idea as to whether it is 100% correct, hopelessly
different or needs some tweaks. It is recommended you make a phonebook
entry with every field filled in, to their maximum lengths to do that
checking.

- How are the ringtones/wallpapers stored? There are two methods I know
of. Brew phones use various directories and index files. J2ME have
no index files, and use a directory per ringtone/wallpaper. BitPim
has code for both mechanisms.

- Does the calendar code work? (Again the protocol log viewer will help)

Roger
Gerard Escalante
2004-06-27 01:26:16 UTC
- Which carriers have it? [The idea is to figure out if there are
different variants with the same model number. For example there
are Brew based and J2ME based LG VX4600 which do almost everything
different - phonebook, calendar, media etc] I can only find this
phone on LG's site, and like most LG documentation it is completely
uninformative and useless
AFAIK, Telus is the only carrier that has this phone.

Now that I've had a chance to play around more with the software, it would
seem as though the VX4600 works nearly identically to the 6070. The only
big difference is that the 6070 refuses to work with BMP format wallpaper.
Post by Roger Binns
- Please email me a zip backup of the whole filesystem. It will be
good if you ensure there is data (even if it is nonsense) in all
locations such as the phonebook, wallpapers, ringtones, calendar,
text and voice notes etc
Since the VX4600 code more or less works, let me know if you're still
interested, and I'll send you this directly.
Post by Roger Binns
- How many phonebook entries are there? Does any of the existing
LG model code work? You can try VX4400, VX4500 and VX4600 (Telus/J2ME)
which are all (slightly) different. Ensure you turn on protocol
logging and after reading the phonebook from the phone press
ctrl-alt-p in the protocol log. Navigate down to where phonebook
entries are read and verify the fields are the right sizes etc.
You should get some idea as to whether it is 100% correct, hopelessly
different or needs some tweaks. It is recommended you make a phonebook
entry with every field filled in, to their maximum lengths to do that
checking.
The VX4600 code seems to work great.
Post by Roger Binns
- How are the ringtones/wallpapers stored? There are two methods I know
of. Brew phones use various directories and index files. J2ME have
no index files, and use a directory per ringtone/wallpaper. BitPim
has code for both mechanisms.
Again, the VX4600 code works great. The only problem is that the 6070 does
not like BMP format wallpaper. But once I made the small change to PNG in
the phone definition in BitPim, everything worked great.
Post by Roger Binns
- Does the calendar code work? (Again the protocol log viewer will help)
It works. However, in order for the phone to recognize that an alarm has been
set (at least in the phone's UI) it seems as though the changeserial value
must be set in the following manner:
- 0 for None
- 1 for On Time
- 2 for 5 minutes before
- 3 for 10 minutes before
- 4 for 1 hour before
- 5 for 1 day before
- 6 for 2 days before

It's the same entries as in the list of choices on the phone.
Let me know what you think, and I can work on it from there.

Thanks!

--Gerard
Roger Binns
2004-07-01 06:06:39 UTC
Post by Gerard Escalante
Post by Roger Binns
- Which carriers have it? [The idea is to figure out if there are
different variants with the same model number. For example there
are Brew based and J2ME based LG VX4600 which do almost everything
different - phonebook, calendar, media etc] I can only find this
phone on LG's site, and like most LG documentation it is completely
uninformative and useless
AFAIK, Telus is the only carrier that has this phone.
It looks like there is a BD6070 which does Brew and the LG6070 which
does J2ME. I am thinking of changing the labels in the phone selection
dialog to say J2ME and Brew instead of listing the carrier. It may need
more of an interactive nature such as guiding the user how to work out
whether their phone is J2ME or Brew.
Post by Gerard Escalante
Now that I've had a chance to play around more with the software, it would
seem as though the VX4600 works nearly identically to the 6070. The only
big difference is that the 6070 refuses to work with BMP format wallpaper.
Most of the LG phones are very similar, except for the annoying gratioutus
differences.
Post by Gerard Escalante
Post by Roger Binns
- Please email me a zip backup of the whole filesystem. It will be
good if you ensure there is data (even if it is nonsense) in all
locations such as the phonebook, wallpapers, ringtones, calendar,
text and voice notes etc
Since the VX4600 code more or less works, let me know if you're still
interested, and I'll send you this directly.
Yes I am.
Post by Gerard Escalante
The VX4600 code seems to work great.
Have you done a thorough test, especially making each field the maximum
length? I did put in my best guesses for some fields (wallpaper and
ringtone indices IIRC) but never got confirmation back if they were
correct, and especially if they were the correct size. Every single
byte needs to be verified. I would like this before I add a menu
entry for this phone as I am not comfortable with my unconfirmed
guesses.
Post by Gerard Escalante
Again, the VX4600 code works great. The only problem is that the 6070 does
not like BMP format wallpaper. But once I made the small change to PNG in
the phone definition in BitPim, everything worked great.
Why would they drop the BMP format? Yet more senseless changes!
Post by Gerard Escalante
Post by Roger Binns
- Does the calendar code work? (Again the protocol log viewer will help)
It works. However, in order for the phone to recognize that an alarm has been
set (at least in the phone's UI) it seems as though the changeserial value
- 0 for None
- 1 for On Time
- 2 for 5 minutes before
- 3 for 10 minutes before
- 4 for 1 hour before
- 5 for 1 day before
- 6 for 2 days before
It's the same entries as in the list of choices on the phone.
Yes, that is actually the case for all the LG phones. The changeserial field
is not a changeserial, and is the UI display for the alarm (and is seperate
from the other field that also specifies the alarm). It is yet another
example of them storing the same information in multiple places.

The reason why I haven't fixed the changeserial field is because of the amount
of work needed which involves fixing the BitPim gui, the on disk file and
a version importer for the on disk file. If someone wants a nice project
that would be good to do.