[BitPim-devel] LG-VX4650 Update
Joe Pham
2005-08-18 23:48:22 UTC
The LG-VX4650 is now fully supported (except for the "Todo" feature because the phone does not have that tool), including auto-detection. Roger, when you have some time, can you please take a look at the auto-detection scheme and see if that'd work with your 4400 and other LGs. The 4650 support will be available in the next release.

NetZero Is Giving Away $3,000 A Day!
Sign up for NetZero HiSpeed 3G with Instant On!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/3Gsweeps TODAY for your chance to win!
Michael C.
2005-08-19 16:47:54 UTC
Joe,

I also have an old VX4400, as well as the new VX4650. Tell me what you
need, and I will try to do some of the testing. FWIW, I think you have
done a wonderful job with the VX4650 so far!

Michael C.
2005-08-19 23:01:05 UTC
Post by Michael C.
I also have an old VX4400, as well as the new VX4650. Tell me what
you need, and I will try to do some of the testing.
Please test all features of the VX4650 and post any problems that you find. Please also try the phone detection feature and let me know how that works.

For the VX4400, if you don't mind, please backup the brew and nvm dir and email them to me: I'd like to try the phone detection code on the VX4400.

Michael C.
2005-08-20 19:58:59 UTC
Joe,

I haven't tried too many things on the VX4650 yet, but I have tried the
following:
- Reading Phonebook: OK
- Reading/Writing Ringtones (MP3): OK
- Reading/Writing Wallpaper: OK
- Detect Phone: Failed

I don't know why the "Edit -> Detect Phone" did not work. Is the VX4650
supposed to be in some state I don't have it in?

As far as the VX4400, please find attached the two zip files containing
the directories you wanted.

Michael C.
2005-08-20 20:25:07 UTC
Michacel, thanks for trying it out. wrt to the Detect Phone feature, can you please turn on both the Log and Protocol Log, do Detect Phone, and send me the text output. btw, in the Edit->Settings dialog, is BitPim able to find to correct COM port when set to Auto?

Thanks for the 4400 files.

Michael C.
2005-08-21 17:41:30 UTC
Joe,

Please find attached the "protocol.log" file I created. The first
operation was to ensure the phone connected to the program (I did a
"filesystem" lookup). You can then see what happened during the "Phone
Detect" operation. BitPim could not detect the correct port either.

I am also attaching the "bitpim-ports.html" file, which BitPim created
when I was in the port browser.

Mike
-Joe Pham
Simon
2005-08-21 04:29:26 UTC
Joe,

I copied your detection code into the vx8100 phone class and it work fine.
Start BP and plug the phone in and it detected it OK. Set com port to auto
and it detected it OK. I'll send some updates after I've done some more
testing.

Simon

2005-08-21 18:40:35 UTC
Thanks for the files. Detect Phone relies on AutoPort to first find the correct port prior to talking to the phone, so it'd fail of AutoPort fails. Let me look into why it's not working for you.

Joe Pham
2005-08-21 18:58:00 UTC
Michael, what kind of cable are you using at com4 (the one with which you tested the 4650)? Has that one been working well for you?

Michael C.
2005-08-21 19:17:04 UTC
Joe,

It is the Susteen universal cable; I've been using it with the VX4650
since I got the phone. It works great, as long as I do not try to do
the autodetect.

I also use the program, DataPilot, which is how I got the set of
cables. (http://www.datapilot.com/phones_universal.htm)

Mike
2005-08-21 20:12:15 UTC
Post by Michael C.
It is the Susteen universal cable
Can you insert this line into com_lgvx4400.py at about line 768 and retest AutoPort & DetectPhone? It's the signature for your cable.

( 0x0731, 0x2003, None),

Michael C.
2005-08-21 20:30:38 UTC
Worked like a champ! Autodetect now works with my VX4650. Let me know
when the VX4400 code is ready, and I'll try it too.
-Joe Pham
Michael C.
2005-08-21 22:31:47 UTC
Joe,

I just added my original VX4400 cable from Susteen to the
"com_lgvx4400.py" file; I added the following lines:
usbids_usbtoserial=(
( 0x067b, 0x2303, None), # VID=Prolific, PID=USB to serial
( 0x0403, 0x6001, None), # VID=FTDI, PID=USB to serial
( 0x0731, 0x2003, None), # VID=Susteen, PID=Universal USB to serial
( 0x067b, 0x2303, None), # VID=Susteen, PID=USB to serial
)

The last two lines are the two Susteen cables I have. The first one is
the universal cable, which should be the same for all phones which
attach to it (not just the VX4400 and VX4650, which have been tested).
The second, is the original Susteen cable I bought a couple of years
ago, which is for the VX4400.

Mike
2005-08-22 01:18:17 UTC
me know when the VX4400 code is ready,
Can you please do a full tree backup for brew and nvm (for the 4400). You did dir backup last time.

Michael C.
2005-08-22 02:10:16 UTC
Sorry Joe. Didn't realize there was a difference (in my line of work,
backing up the DIR is the same thing). Here is what you are wanting (I
hope).
2005-08-22 01:28:43 UTC
Post by Michael C.
usbids_usbtoserial=(
( 0x067b, 0x2303, None), # VID=Prolific, PID=USB to serial
( 0x0403, 0x6001, None), # VID=FTDI, PID=USB to serial
( 0x0731, 0x2003, None), # VID=Susteen, PID=Universal USB to
serial
( 0x067b, 0x2303, None), # VID=Susteen, PID=USB to serial
)
The last entry is a duplicate of the first one. The top 3 entries would work for all the cables you have.

Michael C.