[BitPim-devel] about ascii code greater than 0x7F in file name
Will Smith
2005-05-22 06:54:07 UTC
After I upload a file which has asian characters with ascii code
greater than 0x7f to my LG VX3200, I can't delete it, the error
occurs.

It says :
An unexpected exception has occurred.
Please see the help for details on what to do.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui.pyo", line 1468, in OnCallback
File "gui.pyo", line 131, in __call__
File "gui.pyo", line 88, in __call__
File "gui.pyo", line 1918, in OnDirListingResults
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xd2 in position
0: ordinal not in range(128)

Variables by last 8 frames, innermost last

can any developer consider the unicode problem which can access
filename with asian characters?
Joe Pham
2005-05-22 16:27:23 UTC
Post by Will Smith
After I upload a file which has asian characters with ascii code
greater than 0x7f to my LG VX3200, I can't delete it, the error
occurs.
Thanks for reporting the problem. Is that all of the exception text that you had? If not, please post all of it.

Get NetZero Platinum for as low as $4.97/month!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/half to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-05-22 20:02:38 UTC
Post by Will Smith
can any developer consider the unicode problem which can access
filename with asian characters?
At the moment all strings in BitPim are stored and used as Unicode.
However all data being dumped on or read from phones (ie a sequence
of bytes) is in str objects and we currently don't convert between the
two. That isn't an issue with pure ascii chracters.

Are you sure the filename has asian characters, and if so from which
character set? So far all the phones appear to use ISO-8859-1 which
would make your character Ò - uppercase o with grave.

Roger
Will Smith
2005-06-01 03:05:14 UTC
Post by Will Smith
it is maybe GB2312, I am not sure.
You'd need to be very sure.
Post by Will Smith
But when I used the Bitpim version 0.62 for vx4400, I didn't meet the problem.
Actually you did and didn't realise it. Before 0.7.13, the file names
were read as bytes and consequently in whatever encoding the filesystem
used and displayed as the same bytes with whatever your computer was
using as its encoding. If both encodings happened to be the same
then it would appear to work. If not you would get garbage.