[BitPim-devel] LG VX8100 V7 ringtone work around *Test Load*
Matt Campbell
2006-06-13 16:58:31 UTC
I ran the test load, and the ringtone workaround is doing its job. This
addition gives the 8100 V7 user a streamlined process for putting custom
ringtones on their SD card. Here are my notes from the test:

1) **This exploit should be used for all of Verizon's new LG's**
I am guessing that Verizon's updates in the 8100's Version7 software have
propagated to all of their 'new' LG phones (8300 and 9800.) Although, I
doubt they will recompile the updated software for their 'older' LG phones,
i.e. 8000, 7000, 6100, etc. I have not yet tested this on the new phones,
but I will have access to a 9800 very soon. I'll keep you posted.

2) **Custom ringtones must be handled ENTIRELY by bitpim**
The new software is "trigger happy" in rewritting the my_ringtone.dat file.
So, if the filenames in the my_ringtone.dat don't exactly match the dummy's
in "brew/16452/lk/mr" then everything in my_ringtone.dat gets rewritten.
For example, consider a user who has ringtones X, Y, Z, and they delete
tones X, and Z using the phone's GUI. The phone will update my_ringtone.dat
to show only Y and delete the files X and Z from the paths listed there,
which would delete the ACTUAL files from the card, not the dummy files in
"brew/16452/lk/mr." Now if the phone reboots, my_ringtone.dat shows Y and
"brew/16452/lk/mr" shows X,Y,Z dummy files, so the file gets rewritten to
point to the dummy files. *In effect, the only difference is that users
should not delete their ringtones without using Bitpim.* Tones can be
deleted directly from the card or deleted using the phone's GUI, but Bitpim
should then be used with "send data to phone" selecting "ringtones" and
"replace all" in order to update the "brew/16452/lk/mr" directory.

3) Bitpim automatically writes the filenames into my_ringtone.dat in
reverse-alphabetical order. This is a small point, but listing them in
alphabetical order would make browsing a little easier.

Joe, thanks for sending the test load so quickly. I am eager to check if
the new phones run the same instructions, so I'll keep you posted when I get
my hands on the 9800. Can anyone test this on an 8300??

Best Regards,
Matt C.
Joe Pham
2006-06-13 21:03:49 UTC
Post by Matt Campbell
I ran the test load, and the ringtone workaround is doing its job.
Thanks for the feedback.
Post by Matt Campbell
I have not yet tested this on the new phones, but I will have access
to a 9800 very soon. I'll keep you posted.
Unless you or other users have a chance to test this out on a 9800,
I'll limit the work-around to the 8100 to be safe (I don't have
access to either one).
Post by Matt Campbell
Bitpim automatically writes the filenames into my_ringtone.dat in
reverse-alphabetical order.
1. The phone firmware does it that way.
2. This is sometime necessary to maintain the contact ringer IDs, ie
your ringtone ID assignments won't get shuffled around.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Simon C
2006-06-14 03:12:53 UTC
to check if the new phones run the same instructions, so I'll
keep you posted when I get my hands on the 9800. Can anyone
test this on an 8300??
I'm working with some 8300 owners to support this phone. As usual LG have
changed the media map files, substantially this time, they removed the
index, so it is now just a list of files. It is not possible to say whether
this phone will re-write the index each time, chances are that it will
behave differently that the 8100. It also looks like the ringtones are
specified by path in the addressbook files now that the index is gone, this
will probably have an effect on the way ringers work as well.

Simon
Matt Campbell
2006-06-18 08:24:27 UTC
Well I permanently switched to the 9800 V2, so I've had plenty of time to
look around under the hood. Luckily, the ringtone workaround that was
pioneered on the 8100 still works with the 9800! Right now I'm just editing
the ringtone tables manual, but this procedure could be automated as it was
with the test load for the 8100. Unfortunately, I can't get into the nvm
directory in order to "FIX" the DUN login name, as I could with the 8100.
QPST couldn't get into that directory either. Any thoughts about this??

Joe - I'd be more than happy to tryout a test load for the 9800 ringtone
fix. It's the same premise as the 8100.

Best Regards,
Matt C.
2006-06-18 18:55:16 UTC
Post by Matt Campbell
I'd be more than happy to tryout a test load for the 9800 ringtone
fix
The test load that I provided should do the same for the 9800, so you
can test it out with the 9800.

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com
Matt Campbell
2006-06-28 05:53:24 UTC
Sorry for the delay, I've been at the beach w/o computer access. Neither
the test load that you sent me nor version 0.9.03 are creating dummy files
for the 9800. However, version 0.9.03 IS correctly making dummy files for
the 8100 as it did in the test load. My apologies. If I had gotten back
quicker about the test load then it would have been fixed for the 9800
before 0.9.03 went prime time. I'd be happy to try another test load if you
can get it worked out for the 9800.

Best Regards,
Matt C.
2006-06-28 22:56:05 UTC
Please check out the 0.9.04 load and let me know.

http://www.privatephone.com
Simon C
2006-06-29 00:10:29 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Please check out the 0.9.04 load and let me know.
It works OK.

Simon
Matt Campbell
2006-06-30 14:28:38 UTC
I concur. Good fix.

-Matt
Post by Joe Pham
Please check out the 0.9.04 load and let me know.
It works OK.
Simon
easier