[Bitpim-devel] Help system question - best way to send fixes?
Peter Dufault
2004-10-07 22:04:15 UTC
I'm looking over the help and noted a few things that should be fixed.

Are diffs to the ".htd" files useful? They look like they are probably
the output of a program. What's the best thing to send for suggested
help fixes?

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Stephen Wood

2004-10-08 03:02:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
The htd files are edited directly, so diffs against them can be used.
I would just post diffs or entire files here.
I would greatly appreciate help updates in the form Stephen describes.

The help is maintained using the HelpBlocks program. Under the hood
it is stored as a Microsoft help project. The native wxWidgets help
format is basically a Microsoft help project zipped up :-)

The files used are the .htd. They are sent through the macro pre-processor
in HelpBlocks which adds a standard header and footer, as well as the
previous/next/up links.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-10-08 23:55:29 UTC
The files used are the .htd. They are sent through the macro
pre-processor
in HelpBlocks which adds a standard header and footer, as well as the
previous/next/up links.
The end result is good, I'll lookup HelpBlocks. I'll collect the fixes
I have and send them tomorrow, there are a few more things I will add
first.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-10-09 00:14:33 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
The end result is good, I'll lookup HelpBlocks.
HelpBlocks is useful for managing the overall project content
and running the help generators, but it isn't needed to edit
the content.
Post by Peter Dufault
I'll collect the fixes I have and send them tomorrow, there
are a few more things I will add first.
My preference is for for each changed piece of content to be
one email message. That makes it clear the extent of the
change, and especially makes it clear if there is any discussion
over what is actually being discussed.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-10-09 00:38:30 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
The end result is good, I'll lookup HelpBlocks.
HelpBlocks is useful for managing the overall project content
and running the help generators, but it isn't needed to edit
the content.
No, I meant for my own uses.
Post by Roger Binns
Post by Peter Dufault
I'll collect the fixes I have and send them tomorrow, there are a
few more things I will add first.
My preference is for for each changed piece of content to be
one email message. That makes it clear the extent of the
change, and especially makes it clear if there is any discussion
over what is actually being discussed.
I have mostly trivial fixes (spelling errors, minor grammar problems,
vx4500 doesn't have USB) and some minor new stuff for some of the Mac
sections, it's all so inconsequential that I wanted to collect them in
one diff. I can split minor spelling and grammar versus Mac if you
want. I'm not going to send it tonight 'cause I have to finish up a
few other things and then go watch the debate.

I understand your preference, but in this case there is so little
actual content it can be one email message.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-10-09 02:33:14 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
I have mostly trivial fixes (spelling errors, minor grammar problems,
Send those to Stephen as he has a side hobby fixing my egregious
butchering of the English language.
Post by Peter Dufault
vx4500 doesn't have USB)
It does when you cut and paste the text for the VX6000 :-)
Post by Peter Dufault
one diff. I can split minor spelling and grammar versus Mac if you
want.
That would be appreciated so everyone who has a Mac can add
their input as well.
Post by Peter Dufault
few other things and then go watch the debate.
I don't get to vote so it is amusing to me just how bizarre
the political process is in this country. One of my Brit
friends after living here for almost 18 years recently
got citizenship purely so he can vote against Bush!

Roger
Stephen Wood
2004-10-09 04:00:50 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
I have mostly trivial fixes (spelling errors, minor grammar problems,
Send those to Stephen as he has a side hobby fixing my egregious
butchering of the English language.
A few weeks ago someone pointed out that BitPim was reporting "Reseting
phone" instead of "Resetting phone". When I type reseting in Evolution
(mail program), it doesn't flag it as misspelled. I actually spent
about an hour looking through real and virtual dictionaries to try to
find out if "reseting" was acceptable in British English. I guess
evolution either has a bad dictionary or implements the rules for adding
ing incorrectly. (http://writing.englishclub.com/spelling_add-ing.htm)

Anyway, I think the point of that was that I don't "correct" British
spellings.

Stephen
Roger Binns
2004-10-09 05:07:49 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
find out if "reseting" was acceptable in British English.
It isn't :-)
Post by Stephen Wood
Anyway, I think the point of that was that I don't "correct" British
spellings.
There is nothing to correct as British English is correct :-)

In addition to reseting, you did manage to fix many of my
seperates and several others I have forgotten :-)

Just be grateful I don't use British slang otherwise you
would have no idea what I am on about!

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-10-09 19:12:44 UTC
I don't get to vote so it is amusing to me just how bizarre
the political process is in this country. One of my Brit
friends after living here for almost 18 years recently
got citizenship purely so he can vote against Bush!
Ah, I wondered if you might be from "over there", I thought some of the
"spelling errors" might be British spellings. Should I leave the
"fixes" in and let you and Steve decide how to keep things consistent,
or double check them?

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Stephen Wood
2004-10-10 03:10:31 UTC
On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 15:12, Peter Dufault wrote:
Post by Peter Dufault
Ah, I wondered if you might be from "over there", I thought some of the
"spelling errors" might be British spellings. Should I leave the
"fixes" in and let you and Steve decide how to keep things consistent,
or double check them?
Peter
Just send me your fixes and I'll double check them.

Thanks, Stephen

Jim Smith
2004-10-09 04:26:32 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
A few weeks ago someone pointed out that BitPim was reporting "Reseting
phone" instead of "Resetting phone". When I type reseting in Evolution
(mail program), it doesn't flag it as misspelled.
I reported the misspelling. I just checked and both Microsoft Outlook and
Word do flag "Reseting" as a misspelled word, and dictionary.com doesn't
recognize it. A Google search however, found about 28,400 hits for Reseting,
but what do they know? ;^)

Now that I know that Roger is British, I will be more careful not to
"repourt" British spelling "errours". ;^)

Jim
Roger Binns
2004-10-09 05:14:15 UTC
Post by Jim Smith
Now that I know that Roger is British, I will be more careful not to
"repourt" British spelling "errours". ;^)
The entire US will collapse one day because noone seems to understand
the difference between ensure and insure and use the latter to mean
both. Since the former is about making sure something happens, and
the latter is about something preferably *not* happening, there is
a definite mixup waiting to happen.

Once that is fixed, I also have this metric system to introduce to
you. One of my friends was amazed when I could tell him the weight
and volume (dimensions) of a 26,000 gallon rain water tank he was
considering. Simple arithmetic if you do everything in units of
ten and have easy convertibility between volume, weight, dimensions
etc.

And to make this vaguely relevant, I have received a loaner GSM phone
from Rodney Meyers. My suspicion is that there should be a lot of
similarity with the Samsungs and other AT command based phones.
The comm port code is going to need some added routines for
doing line oriented stuff as well as dealing with the OK and ERROR

Drew Bertola
2004-10-09 09:13:41 UTC
Post by Jim Smith
Now that I know that Roger is British, I will be more careful not to
"repourt" British spelling "errours". ;^)
The entire US will collapse one day because noone seems to understand
What's a "noone?" Did you mean "no one?"

I love what you're doing for me and everyone else, Roger, but please
don't chastise people for making small mistakes in English. It's a
language, not a birth rite*. (As well, "reseting" is incorrect, as you
noticed.)

*unless you're 1/3 German, 1/3 Italian, 1/3 Greek, and 1/3 French,
Russian, Japanese, ...
Post by Roger Binns
Once that is fixed, I also have this metric system to introduce to
you.
One of my friends was amazed when I could tell him the weight
and volume (dimensions) of a 26,000 gallon rain water tank he was
considering. Simple arithmetic if you do everything in units of
ten and have easy convertibility between volume, weight, dimensions
etc.
Lessons start at 50 bob a head. Let's see, in Euros, that's...wait...

--
Drew
(who can explain in detail his admiration and hostility on this topic)
Mike Schiraldi
2004-10-09 12:58:10 UTC
Post by Drew Bertola
I love what you're doing for me and everyone else, Roger, but please
don't chastise people for making small mistakes in English. It's a
language, not a birth rite*.
"Birthright"

:)
Roger Binns
2004-10-09 16:31:25 UTC
but please don't chastise people for making small mistakes in English.
Errr, I am the one who makes them when writing copious amounts of
help text and I am glad to chastise myself for it, and glad that
Stephen (and others) help clear them up.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2004-10-09 11:42:50 UTC
And to make this vaguely relevant, I have received a loaner GSM phone
from Rodney Meyers. My suspicion is that there should be a lot of
similarity with the Samsungs and other AT command based phones.
The comm port code is going to need some added routines for
doing line oriented stuff as well as dealing with the OK and ERROR
I have been working on those routines. I'll check in what I have got
even though I havn't gotten them working.

Stephen
Mike Schiraldi
2004-10-09 13:20:04 UTC
No one seems to understand the difference between ensure and insure
Not only that, but nobody seems to know the difference between "affect" and
"effect" .. i was looking something up in the official Major League Baseball
rules, and came across this:

4.18
If the umpire declares a game forfeited he shall transmit a written report
to the league president within twenty four hours thereafter, but failure of
such transmittal shall not effect the forfeiture.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/start_end_4.jsp

Since "effect" as a verb means "bring about," they end up saying the exact
opposite of what they meant.
Once that is fixed, I also have this metric system to introduce to you.
Oh, go trisect something. :) To keep the baseball theme going, our system of
measurement gives us nice even scores, like 5-3. Have you ever watched a
baseball game in Canada? The result is always something like 8.31-6.47.

Also, the balls are square.