[BitPim-devel] HTML Printing
Joe Pham
2005-04-21 22:44:17 UTC
I was working on an initial implementation of the Calendar Print feature and I found out that the stock Html priting feature does not preview or print the grid lines of a table. My current work-around is to preview the print data using webbrowser, from which users can print tables properly. Any insight into this issue?

Thanks,

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-04-25 05:57:49 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I found out that the stock Html priting feature does not preview or
print the grid lines of a table.
It works perfectly for me. I altered resources/pbpl-view.xy so that
the very first table line had border=1 added:

Then I printed the phonebook. The print dialog, print preview and
actual printing all had the grid lines there.
Post by Joe Pham
My current work-around is to preview the print data using webbrowser,
from which users can print tables properly.
I'd really rather avoid the web browsers since it introduces another
dependency with more support issues and other fun things to go wrong
(we have no control over paper size, rotation and all the other fun
things to do with printing.)

Currently wxHtml does not support styles. There is an alternate
system in place which should be used instead. The big gotcha is
that the HTML must be perfectly formatted - ie every tag should
be closed and you can't mis-nest tags.

My preference is to continue to use wxHtml since it is used in
several other places and we can directly embed controls and
deal with events. The existing code that converts HTML and a
Python format stylesheet works but is somewhat arcane.

That existing HTML+Python stylesheet should be replaced with
XML and an XML stylesheet (aka XSLT) which together will produce
good HTML, or whatever else we may desire. It will also allow
good web designer type people to contribute.

Replacing wxHtml with another component doesn't look good either
since there is nothing consistent and cross platform (ie we
could do something platform specific on each platform, but that
will just make issues 3 times as bad.)

2005-04-26 02:51:47 UTC
It works perfectly for me. I altered resources/pbpl-view.xy so that
It must be those specical characters in the html template that draw the horizontal and vertical lines. Not one of my favorite things to track down.
Post by Roger Binns
My preference is to continue to use wxHtml since it is used in
several other places and we can directly embed controls and
deal with events.
The xyaptu thing seems to work pretty well. I haven't had a need to use style sheet yet, but I saw what you did for the Phonebook print stuff.