[BitPim-devel] Question regarding the new media gui
Jerad Clark
2006-06-03 03:17:20 UTC
I'm running from the latest source today (06/02/2006), and I see that
on my phone (LG PM-325) I have a "sounds" and a "ringers" section
under media.

I don't know if this is a new feature, a bug, or what the difference
is between them, as previously I've only had a ringers section.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jerad
Simon C
2006-06-03 03:24:49 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
I'm running from the latest source today (06/02/2006), and I
see that on my phone (LG PM-325) I have a "sounds" and a
"ringers" section under media.
I don't know if this is a new feature, a bug, or what the
difference is between them, as previously I've only had a
ringers section.
Any ideas?
This is by design, but I am in two minds about this.
At the moment sounds and ringers will always be displayed regardless of
whether the phone supports them both.
The alternative would be to only display the sounds if the phone supports
it, but then someone would have to go and modify the code for phones that do
support it (some have been done already). It is just a single line to be
added to the profile.

The fact you have even asked this question makes me think that having a
sounds folder when the phone does not support it is more confusing than the
change to the phone profiles that do support it.

What do others think?

Simon
Jerad Clark
2006-06-07 15:51:36 UTC
Well, for whatever my 2 cents is worth, I'll just let you know that
I've been developing a separate BitPim branch that will disable (not
remove) any feature that my phone does not support, as it really
bothers me that I can add files, entries, etc in BitPim, but then not
transfer/use them on my phone.

They way I see it, if my phone can't use it, I don't want to be able
to use it in BitPim.

Unfortunately, it turns out that there is no method to disable a tree
item (originally I just wanted to grey out the feature on the tree),
so I had to go the route of just disabling the "Add" button on the
menu bar whenever my phone has zero support for that feature, which I
will do now for "sounds", apparently. However, if 1 item out of 10,
for example, is supported, then I do not disable the button and I
instead rely on the color coding built into BitPim to let me know what
is usable, or not.

I still have to integrate the new media changes over, but the last
time I played with this code I was almost done with my changes, which
are not phone specific. So, if this interests anyone, I can finish it
up and send the changes here for consideration.

If not, that is fine as well :)

Jerad
2006-06-10 18:21:49 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
They way I see it, if my phone can't use it, I don't want to be able
to use it in BitPim.
The existing philosophy is that BitPim is a superset of all your
information sources. This is not only the currently selected
phone, but also Outlook, CSV, eGroupware, and other phone
you may select.

It would be quite upsetting if there was bad information
being stored in BitPim and you only found out about it
a lot later (eg on selecting a new phone).

On the other hand, if you never use an external information
source and only use one phone, then the extra fields seem
like noise!