[Bitpim-devel] SCH-A610 - anyone played with this yet?
Mike Young
2004-10-05 18:30:28 UTC
Has anyone played around with this Verizon/Samsung unit? I'd be
interested in helping with integrating the phonebook management, if it
hasn't already been done. I find I can successfully pull the photos from
the phone using 0.7.19, which 0.62 would not do correctly.

No luck deciphering the phone book stuff yet though.

--Mike
Stephen Wood
2004-10-06 01:23:32 UTC
Post by Mike Young
Has anyone played around with this Verizon/Samsung unit? I'd be
interested in helping with integrating the phonebook management, if it
hasn't already been done. I find I can successfully pull the photos from
the phone using 0.7.19, which 0.62 would not do correctly.
I am working on supporting the A620/VGA1000 (Sprint) phone. Your phone
is probably similar. If you would be willing to try some things on your
phone I can try to integrate support for the A610 in what I am doing.

The first thing I would like to know is what is the list of fields in a
phonebook entry. For the A620 it is

Name, Entry #, Home, Work, Mobile, Pager, No Label, Speed dial,
Email, URL, Group, Ringer, Birthday, Secret, Image
Post by Mike Young
No luck deciphering the phone book stuff yet though.
Most Samsung phones seem to use a common AT command set to read and
write the phone book. (We had a short discussion on this list a few
months back that contained links to sites with these AT commands) If
you can figure out how to send AT modem commands to your phone with
something like Hyperterminal or Kermit, I would like to ask you to type
a set of commands to the phone to see the format of the responses and
compare those with the A620.

You will need to power cycle your phone in order to be able to execute
AT commands if you have not already done so since you used BitPim to
read the pictures. (I assume you used the A620/VGA1000 setting to read
the camera pictures?)

Stephen
--Mike
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 02:45:17 UTC
I have the Samsung A670 and am willing to try a few things to get it
supported. The fields in a phonebook entry for the A670 are:

Name, Location#, Home, Office, Mobile, Pager, Fax, Alias, E-Mail,
Speed-dial, Group, Ringer, Picture ID

Let me know if I can help. I have MacOS X 10.2.8. What tools are at my
disposal for sending commands to the phone? I found a kermit binary on
the web which seems to run but I don't know how to use it.

Vic
Post by Mike Young
No luck deciphering the phone book stuff yet though.
Most Samsung phones seem to use a common AT command set to read and
write the phone book. (We had a short discussion on this list a few
months back that contained links to sites with these AT commands) If
you can figure out how to send AT modem commands to your phone with
something like Hyperterminal or Kermit, I would like to ask you to type
a set of commands to the phone to see the format of the responses and
compare those with the A620.
You will need to power cycle your phone in order to be able to execute
AT commands if you have not already done so since you used BitPim to
read the pictures. (I assume you used the A620/VGA1000 setting to read
the camera pictures?)
Stephen
Post by Mike Young
--Mike
ITManagersJournal
Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give
us
Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out
more
Stephen Wood
2004-10-06 05:00:00 UTC
To use kermit, you should just need to start it and type the command

set line /dev/whatever

(you can use the port browser in bitpim to find the device name)
There is a command "set baud NNNN", but in my case, it defaults to
115200 and that seems to work.

and then type

and you should be connected to the phone. Then type the following
commands:

AT+GMI
AT+GMR
AT+GMM
AT#PMODE=1
AT#PCBIT?
AT#PBOKR=?
AT#PCMIT?

The first the commands should return model and serial number information
about the phone. The PMODE command puts the phone into phonebook mode
and the rest of the commands give information about what phonebook
fields the phone has.

If you get responses to these commands, post them here.

Thanks, Stephen
Vic
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 12:07:55 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
[...]
Here is what my phone returns - Vic:

AT+GMI
+GMI: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.

OK
AT+GMR
+GMR: S/W VER: S:A670.XD19 SCH-A670

OK
AT+GMM
+GMM: SCH-A670/164

OK
AT#PMODE=1
OK
AT#PCBIT?
#PCBIT: 1005,1,0,8,5,500,500,75,1,13,48,22,32,0

OK
AT#PBOKR=?
#PBOKR: (1-500),(0-4),22,32,48,0

OK
AT#PCMIT?
#PCMIT: 1000,1,4,0,0,0,0,0,3,12,1,128,80,10,12,1,0,0,0,0,12,0,0,0,0,0

OK
Mike Young
2004-10-06 13:04:31 UTC
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
&nbsp;
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 14:30, Mike Young wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Has anyone played around with this Verizon/Samsung unit? I'd be

<pre wrap=""><!---->I am working on supporting the A620/VGA1000 (Sprint) phone. Your phone
is probably similar. If you would be willing to try some things on your
phone I can try to integrate support for the A610 in what I am doing.

The first thing I would like to know is what is the list of fields in a
phonebook entry. For the A620 it is

Name, Entry #, Home, Work, Mobile, Pager, No Label, Speed dial,
Email, URL, Group, Ringer, Birthday, Secret, Image

</pre>
<pre wrap="">No luck deciphering the phone book stuff yet though.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->Most Samsung phones seem to use a common AT command set to read and
write the phone book. (We had a short discussion on this list a few
months back that contained links to sites with these AT commands) If
you can figure out how to send AT modem commands to your phone with
something like Hyperterminal or Kermit, I would like to ask you to type
a set of commands to the phone to see the format of the responses and
compare those with the A620.

You will need to power cycle your phone in order to be able to execute
AT commands if you have not already done so since you used BitPim to
read the pictures. (I assume you used the A620/VGA1000 setting to read
the camera pictures?)

Stephen

</pre>
Stephen, I would be happy to try AT commands. I have had no difficulty
getting hyperterm to talk AT to the phone. And yes, I did use the A620
setting to get the pictures from the phone. Worked like a charm. <br>
So drop me a line sometime with the AT commands and I will try them out
and report back.<br>
--Mike<br>
Mike Young
2004-10-06 13:28:23 UTC
um, sorry for my being out of sync here - that's what I get for reading
the daily digest without checking the archives :-(

Here's the response of the Samsung/Verizon SCH-A610 to the AT commands
that Stephen listed previously:

AT+GMI
+GMI: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.

OK
AT+GMR
+GMR: S/W VER: S:A610.WL30 SCH-A610

OK
AT+GMM
+GMM: SCH-A610/156

OK
AT#PMODE=1
OK
AT#PCBIT?
#PCBIT: 1005,1,0,8,5,500,500,87,1,13,48,22,32,0

OK
AT#PBOKR=?
#PBOKR: (1-500),(0-4),22,32,48,0

OK
AT#PCMIT?
#PCMIT: 1000,1,4,0,0,0,0,0,3,12,1,128,80,10,12,1,0,0,0,0,12,0,0,0,0,0

OK

Now, having said that, what have we learned from this information, and
how is it deciphered?

--Mike
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 13:35:03 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
AT#PBOKR=?
#PBOKR: (1-500),(0-4),22,32,48,0
I don't know what these numbers mean (I hope you do) but if I were to
guess (1-500) refers to the allowed location ids.
Could (0-4) somehow refer to the allowed phone number types (home,
office,mobile,pager,fax) ?
The number 22 looks suspiciously like the number of allowed characters
in a Contact name.
The number 32 looks like the maximum number of characters in any phone
number entry.
The number 48 looks like the number of allowed characters in the
"Alias" and "E-mail" phonebook entries

Vic.
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 18:11:36 UTC
....... And yes, I did use the A620 setting to get the pictures from
the phone. Worked like a charm.
I tried the A620 setting with my A670 phone and got an exception. Let
me know if you would like to see a copy of the exception log or a
protocol log.

Do the pictures on the A610 and A620 have the extra 96 bytes at the
head of the jpg files? On the A670 the 14 bytes at offset 47 in this
header contain the timestamp. When I grab the pix in filesystem view i
use the timestamp to rename my image files.

Vic
Stephen Wood
2004-10-06 19:51:27 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
....... And yes, I did use the A620 setting to get the pictures from
the phone. Worked like a charm.
I tried the A620 setting with my A670 phone and got an exception. Let
me know if you would like to see a copy of the exception log or a
protocol log.
What directory do your pictures show up in? For the A620 it is
digital_cam/jpeg.
Post by Vic Heintz
Do the pictures on the A610 and A620 have the extra 96 bytes at the
head of the jpg files? On the A670 the 14 bytes at offset 47 in this
header contain the timestamp. When I grab the pix in filesystem view i
use the timestamp to rename my image files.
For the A620, I strip the first 148 characters. It must be the same for
the A610. I'll look to see if my files have a timestamp too.

Could your send me (directly, not through the list) an unstripped
picture file from your phone. And tell me when the picture was taken.

Thanks, Stephen
Mike Young
2004-10-06 20:39:02 UTC
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
&nbsp;&nbsp;On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 14:11, Vic Heintz wrote:<br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">On Wednesday, October 6, 2004, at 09:04 AM, Mike Young wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">....... And yes, I did use the A620 setting to get the pictures from
the phone. Worked like a charm.

</pre>
<pre wrap="">I tried the A620 setting with my A670 phone and got an exception. Let
me know if you would like to see a copy of the exception log or a
protocol log.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->What directory do your pictures show up in? For the A620 it is
digital_cam/jpeg.
</pre>
For the A610, it's just digital_cam. The pics appear in this directory
as Imagennn, with nnn beginning at 001.<br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Do the pictures on the A610 and A620 have the extra 96 bytes at the

<pre wrap=""><!---->For the A620, I strip the first 148 characters. It must be the same for
the A610. I'll look to see if my files have a timestamp too.

Could your send me (directly, not through the list) an unstripped
picture file from your phone. And tell me when the picture was taken.

Thanks, Stephen
</pre>
Stephen, Vic: The A610 does have the extra bytes at the start of the
file. I trimmed them off with a binary editor. The stripped-off portion
appears to contain a datestamp in the form yyyymmddhhmmss, beginning at
byte 2F, and immediately preceeded by "digital_cam/". Stephen, do you
also need for me to send you an unstripped picture file from the A610?<br>
--Mike<br>
Stephen Wood
2004-10-07 00:52:00 UTC
Stephen, do you also need for me to send you an unstripped picture
file from the A610?
Yes, please do.

Thanks, Stephen
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 20:57:40 UTC
I played around with Kermit and got the following result for my A670
phone on a dummy contact entry for testing:

at#PBOKR=30
#PBOKR: 30,10,4,15,"Contact name field
=22",0,0,11111111111111111111111111111111,0,2222222222222222222222222222
2222,0,33333333333333333333333333333333,0,444444444444444444444444444444
44,0,55555555555555555555555555555555,0,Alias field is 48 characters
long 56789012345678,0,,,"e.mail field is 48 characters long
.............",3,0,"digital_cam/Image025",20041006T161147

30: I believe this test entry is the 30th contact i have entered in my
phone
10: This is assigned to location id 10 (speed dial 10)
4: Assigned to No Name group (0=Friend,1=Family,2=etc.)
15: ID of unique ringtone assigned to this contact
Contact name (up to 22 chars)
0: ?
0: ?
111...: I set home phone number to all 1's (32 long)
0: ?
222...: Work phone number all 2's
333...: Mobile phone number all 3's
444...: Pager phone number all 4's
555...: Fax phone number all 5's
Alias and email fields self-explanatory
3,0: ?
"digital_cam/Image025": location of image assigned to this contact
20041006T161147: Looks like a last-edited time stamp

Hope this information is of use to someone.

Vic
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 21:11:22 UTC
The A610 does have the extra bytes at the start of the file. I
trimmed them off with a binary editor. The stripped-off portion
appears to contain a datestamp in the form yyyymmddhhmmss, beginning
at byte 2F, and immediately preceeded by "digital_cam/"
Exactly as I said for the A670: yyyymmddhhmmss = 14 bytes and byte 2F
= offset 47

This does NOT confirm, however, whether or not it is 96 bytes for the
A610 as it is for the A670.

Vic
Vic Heintz
2004-10-06 22:01:32 UTC
One more tidbit. The sixth returned field is the id of the phone number
selected for speed dial. See below.
Post by Vic Heintz
I played around with Kermit and got the following result for my A670
at#PBOKR=30
#PBOKR: 30,10,4,15,"Contact name field
=22",0,0,11111111111111111111111111111111,0,222222222222222222222222222
22222,0,33333333333333333333333333333333,0,4444444444444444444444444444
4444,0,55555555555555555555555555555555,0,Alias field is 48 characters
long 56789012345678,0,,,"e.mail field is 48 characters long
.............",3,0,"digital_cam/Image025",20041006T161147
30: I believe this test entry is the 30th contact i have entered in
my phone
10: This is assigned to location id 10 (speed dial 10)
4: Assigned to No Name group (0=Friend,1=Family,2=etc.)
15: ID of unique ringtone assigned to this contact
Contact name (up to 22 chars)
0: ?
The 0 in the sixth returned field indicates that the Home number is
dialed when the Location id (=10, 2nd field) is used for speed dial.
(0=Home, 1=Work, 2=Mobile, 3=Pager, 4=Fax)

Also the 4th to the last field where this has a "3" is a "5" when I
test most of my real contacts. Could be related to the image file since
these latter don't have an associated image.

Vic
Mike Young
2004-10-07 13:45:53 UTC
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:57:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [Bitpim-devel] SCH-A610 - anyone played with this yet?
[...]
I performed a similar experiment on my A610. Here is the result:

AT#PBOKR=38
#PBOKR: 38,38,2,1,"Looong contact name
12",0,0,12345678901234567890123456789012,
0,10987654321098765432109876543210,0,13243546576879809102132435465768,0,11111222
223333344444555556666677,0,88776655443322110099887766554433,0,Long alias
goes he
re adgjmptwadgjmptwadgjmptwadj,0,,,"Long email
***@behknquxadgjmptwcfilorvy.
comm",3,0,"digital_cam/Image001",20041007T091018

OK

Entry #38, location 38, 2?, 1?, contact name in quotes, 0?, 0?, home
phone number, 0?, office phone number, 0?, mobile phone number, 0?,
pager number, 0?, fax number, 0?, alias, 0?, two more commas, email
address in quotes, 3?, 0?, filename of associated image in quotes,
timestamp.

This entry was specified as speed dial "home", and belonged to group
"co-worker". That group in my phone appears to be the third group
(friend=1, family=2, coworker=3). I also specified ringtone "bell 1",
which is the first available choice beyond "inactive".

This all looks VERY similar to Vic's A670, as expected.

If needed, I can play around with the speed dial, ringtone, location,
and group settings and see what changes in the string.

--Mike