[Bitpim-devel] Motorola 730
Jon Smirl
2004-01-19 22:37:28 UTC
I have a new CDMA Motorola 730. I believe this is a Brew type phone. I'm trying
to access the address/phone book data from Linux. So far I have got the USB
modem working.
Jon Smirl
2004-01-20 00:10:06 UTC
I got wxPython installed and ran usbscan.py. It seems to have found what it was
looking for:

usb::003::006::1:
active: 1 available: 1
libusb: 1 protocol: Data / Generic usb-interface#: 1 usb-product#: 10273
usb-productstring: Motorola T720c usb-vendor: Motorola PCS
usb-vendor#: 8888 usb-vendorstring: Motorola Inc.

=====
Jon Smirl
***@yahoo.com

2004-01-20 00:37:35 UTC
Post by Jon Smirl
usb-productstring: Motorola T720c
usb-vendorstring: Motorola Inc.
Incidentally those two values came from the device itself.
I can't imagine why they couldn't be bothered to update the
product string.

The other strings come from the USB data base bitpim ships with.
Once you are a bit more familiar with the device, it would
be nice to update the strings.

2004-01-20 00:33:57 UTC
Post by Jon Smirl
I have a new CDMA Motorola 730. I believe this is a Brew type phone.
It will be if from Verizon. Motorola have a habit of shipping phones with
the same model number, but significantly different inside (ie some are GSM,
some are CDMA, some are J2ME, some are Brew)
Post by Jon Smirl
I'm trying to access the address/phone book data from Linux.
If you have a CDMA model, the filesystem view should work. The phonebook
will need new code written. The good news is (IIRC) all the Motorola
phones use the same sync protocol and it isn't binary like the existing
phones BitPim deals with. It is more like dealing with Comma Seperated
Values. I believe it is also the basis for the OBEX protocol which is
used by GSM phones as well as Palms and PocketPCs when doing infra-red
exchanges.
Post by Jon Smirl
So far I have got the USB
modem working.
Jon Smirl
2004-01-20 01:03:48 UTC
I don't have it working yet. When I run bitpim I only see the com port choices
in the settings dialog. It doesn't find the USB device.

The other output was from running usbscan.py directly.

=====
Jon Smirl
***@yahoo.com