[Bitpim-devel] problems with the lgvx4500
greg cunningham
2004-03-07 05:39:53 UTC
Here is a problems that lgvx4500 users are
experiencing with bitpim...

thanks
greg

Yup got it too. Guess we need to report it to LG
somehow via website or phone.
Thanks, Peter
I too have the same problem when cycling thru the
wallpapers, except that
each graphic does not show up on the phone display.
If I select the graphic
as the wallpaper to use, then it is displayed
properly when I exit the menu.
Does anyone else have the problem of not seeing the
graphic when scrolling
thru the list (hitting OK to view)?
Thanks,
Bruce
2004-03-07 07:23:35 UTC
Post by greg cunningham
Here is a problems that lgvx4500 users are
experiencing with bitpim...
The VX4500 code is incomplete. I have never even seen one.
A reminder from the home page:

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General
Public License for more details.

There are no warranties as stated above (ie this software may damage your
phone). This software is in no way associated with Audiovox, LG Electronics,
Qualcomm, Sanyo, Sprint or Verizon Wireless. It has not been certified or
endorsed by them, nor was it written using information directly supplied
by them.

The phones like to store variants of the same information in multiple
locations. It is quite likely this could be the cause with BitPim
only updating one of the locations. There is however nothing I can do
about it. I have never seen one of these phones, nor have access to one
so I can't try and troubleshoot what it going on.

2004-03-07 07:26:53 UTC
I neglected to point out that you can't report this as a bug to
LG unless you can reproduce the problem on phones that have never
been touched by BitPim. They do not run a general purpose operating
system, more like a bunch of hacks stuck together, with seemingly
random formats for files and data and methods for operating on
them. There is no documentation either for the kind of thing
BitPim does.

Roger
greg cunningham
2004-03-07 07:37:35 UTC
I in now way meant to imply blame for this problem....
I know that you have worked hard to make this program
as good as it is now.... (it works fine for me) I was
just trying to relay problems that other users have
had with the 4500 and bitpim so the developers would
be aware of the situation. I am hoping that I can get
several lgvx4500 group members to volenteer to work
with you in developing the software.

As far as talking to verizon or lg about bitpim... Im
not that stupid... I suspect that they would just mark
my file as voided warentee and tell me Im sol.

thank you again for your work on this program.

thanks
greg
Post by Roger Binns
Post by greg cunningham
[...]
Tutorials
Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins,
President and CEO of
GenToo technologies. Learn everything from
fundamentals to system
http://search.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 07:52:12 UTC
Post by greg cunningham
I in now way meant to imply blame for this problem....
I wasn't taking it as blame. I am just trying to point
out that the code is incomplete, and I have no idea
how incomplete. Telling us that there are issues because
it is incomplete doesn't really get us anywhere, since
we can't even try to help to tell you where it is incomplete.
Post by greg cunningham
I am hoping that I can get
several lgvx4500 group members to volenteer to work
with you in developing the software.
Now they should be able to figure out where the issue is.
Generally the course of action is to use a different
program or a GIN program to update something, and then
compare before and after snapshots of the filesystem.
Once there are several examples of what changes, it becomes
easier to figure out how it changes, and then that makes
actual code easy to write. The coding is not the hard
part of BitPim - it is figuring out what should happen
that is, and if you figure that out someone else can code
it.

Roger
Tom Pollard
2004-03-07 15:29:26 UTC

I am greatly looking forward to pitching in with bitpim and with
improving its support for my recently purchased vx4500, but I still
haven't picked up a cable. I've tried to ask on the bitpim-user list
for recommendations of vx4500-compatible data cables that work for
MacOS X users, but have received no response. (I contacted RPI
Wireless, too.)

I know there were a couple of early reports the vx6000 serial-USB
cables worked, but I couldn't tell if those reports were made by MacOS
X users; also, there are a couple of cables marketted as vx4500 cables
now; also, I had the impression that for the vx6000 (and I assume for
the later vx4500 as well) that straight USB cables are might now be
preferable.

TomP
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 18:52:03 UTC
Post by Tom Pollard
now; also, I had the impression that for the vx6000 (and I assume for
the later vx4500 as well) that straight USB cables are might now be
preferable.
Yes, if you can use a straight USB cable then do so. The ONLY exception
is the LG VX4400 where you should not use that kind of cable.

I have also seen many reports that the VX6000 cables do work. I would
suggest just ordering one from a place that claims they work.

Roger

greg cunningham
2004-03-07 15:08:39 UTC
I know your time is limited. I was wondering... If I
can get a phone distributor to donate a vx4500 (at
least for a short period) for the bitpim cause would
you have the time to work with this phone.

greg
http://search.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 18:50:08 UTC
Post by greg cunningham
I know your time is limited. I was wondering... If I
can get a phone distributor to donate a vx4500 (at
least for a short period) for the bitpim cause would
you have the time to work with this phone.
Yes, if one is loaned to me then I will spend some time on
it. Generally I need the phone for quite a long period as
it takes a while to work through all the issues (3 months).