[Bitpim-devel] help with 5450
John Yu
2003-12-21 05:24:21 UTC
Hi

I recently got a 5450 and realized that even though bitpim supports
manipulation of the file system, it doesn't really allow you to do anything
else. I have wondering what I can do to help. I got a USB cable and
downloaded the dev version of bitpim from CVS. I'd like some more pointers
if possible.

Thanks

John
Roger Binns
2003-12-21 06:54:15 UTC
There is the start of some doc in the web directory.

I suspect your phone is very similar to the 4400/6000. Does
the filesystem view work?

Firstly, where are wallpapers and ringtones stored. There should
be a list of directories and some index files.

What is the spec of the phonebook. ie how many entries, how many
numbers per entry, emails etc.

When was the phone released?

Try getting the phonebook with the phone set to VX4400. Turn on the
protocol log. Save it to a file (you will need to copy it to the
clipboard), zip it up and email it to me (or the group if the zip
is less than 20kb).

What I am hoping is that we can just subclass the 4400 code and
put in a few of the differences.

Roger
John Yu
2003-12-21 13:33:02 UTC
The filesystem view works perfectly. The downloaded ringtones and wallpapers
are stored in the usr/ringtones and usr/wallpaper directory. The phone was
released by Telus here in Canada about 2 months ago, not sure when it was
released to the general public.

I think it's a 199 entries phonebook with 5 number and 1 email address per
entry.

The log attached is what happens when I try and get the phonebook from the
phone.

John

There is the start of some doc in the web directory.

I suspect your phone is very similar to the 4400/6000. Does
the filesystem view work?

Firstly, where are wallpapers and ringtones stored. There should
be a list of directories and some index files.

What is the spec of the phonebook. ie how many entries, how many
numbers per entry, emails etc.

When was the phone released?

Try getting the phonebook with the phone set to VX4400. Turn on the
protocol log. Save it to a file (you will need to copy it to the
clipboard), zip it up and email it to me (or the group if the zip
is less than 20kb).

What I am hoping is that we can just subclass the 4400 code and
put in a few of the differences.

Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM's
Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admin.
2003-12-21 19:55:41 UTC
Post by John Yu
The filesystem view works perfectly. The downloaded ringtones and wallpapers
are stored in the usr/ringtones and usr/wallpaper directory.
There should also be some sort of index files.
Post by John Yu
I think it's a 199 entries phonebook with 5 number and 1 email address per
entry.
We are going to need precise answers in order to support the phone.
Post by John Yu
The log attached is what happens when I try and get the phonebook from the
phone.
Please use the CVS version of BitPim, not the 0.6 series.

Roger
John Yu
2003-12-21 20:38:57 UTC
It is 199 phonebook with 5 numbers and 1 email.

What would the index file look like?

I will send the log file from the cvs in a bit

John

2003-12-21 21:18:42 UTC
Post by John Yu
What would the index file look like?
A mapping of numbers to filenames. (The numbers are usually used in
phonebook records rather than filenames).

The Brew based phones all have files with Index in the name doing
that mapping. The directory is different on every phone model.

I don't know what J2ME based LG phones do. What you can do is
a complete backup of the filesystem, download an image, and then
another backup and difference the two.

Also feel free to send me a complete backup of the filesystem
and then I can tell how different from the other LG phones yours
is.

Roger
John Yu
2003-12-22 16:09:30 UTC
I get an error message this time with the CVS using VX4400 as the selected
phone.

Please see the attached file

John

2003-12-22 18:04:41 UTC
Post by John Yu
I get an error message this time with the CVS using VX4400 as the selected
phone.
You need to use the standard version of wxPython not the unicode version.

Roger

John Yu
2003-12-22 16:34:03 UTC
I have this problem. I used the futuredial drivers and everything worked
expect I got the stupid timed out error. So I installed the LGE drivers and
now bitpim keeps on giving me errors about unable to open ports...

Any ideas?

John