[Bitpim-devel] Samsung and URL <--> alias field
Roger Binns
2005-01-09 09:04:52 UTC
Well, the first user has spotted this mapping. Vic, can you make
it treat alias as nickname, and make your private copy do alias
to URL?

Roger
Vic Heintz
2005-01-09 17:24:23 UTC
Well, the first user has spotted this mapping. Vic, can you make
it treat alias as nickname, and make your private copy do alias
to URL?
You're the boss so I will do so. However, I have posted a response to
the bitpim-user list outlining why I think this is wrong.

I can understand the logic behind saying nickname=alias but in reality
that is arbitrary. Several of the field mappings are arbitrary because
there is ambiguity. If BitPim were to be the perfect application for
all people and all phones you would have to allow the user to control
these mappings where there is ambiguity.

Another example where you probably think that the mapping is perfectly
logical, unambiguous, and indisputable is the matching of full name
with phone contact name. Although I accept this, if I had control I
would change it so that nickname is used as the contact name. I have a
brother named William Heintz whose son is also named William. I have
nicknames for them in my Palm address list of Bill and Billy and that
is how I want them to appear in my phone's contact list. I can export
vcards for them from palm desktop but the vcard import function in
bitpim is not currently recognizing entries such as
"X-Palm-Nickname:Billy" . So in BitPim's phonebook entry editor I must
change the William Heintz Fullname entryfor each of them to their
nicknames. (I suppose now I will also have to copy the imported URL
field into the nickname field.)

Vic

PS In the vCard import the entry "X-Palm-Category1:Family" is also
ignored
Roger Binns
2005-01-09 19:31:02 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
there is ambiguity. If BitPim were to be the perfect application for
all people and all phones you would have to allow the user to control
these mappings where there is ambiguity.
The way it should be is that by default it does the 80 of the 80:20
rule. His later response shows he doesn't even use the field! It
may be worthwhile asking on that group you mentioned what most
people do, and make the default be that, which is likely to be what
you already do :-)

And yes, per phone control of mappings would be nice. It needs the
per phone configuration infrastructure first, which would also deal
with issues like first last vs last, first.
Post by Vic Heintz
if I had control
You do have control. Make a patch! The import stuff uses probability
to match contacts and can be tweaked. (In fact I would love it if someone
took over that code, made a nice large test suite and improved it all).
Post by Vic Heintz
I can export
vcards for them from palm desktop but the vcard import function in
bitpim is not currently recognizing entries such as
"X-Palm-Nickname:Billy" .
The version of Palm Desktop I have doesn't have that field. I am
using 4.1.0 for Windows. I even went and upgraded to 4.1.4 for Windows
and it had some extra functionality, but no nickname. The vcard from
filling in every single possible field is at the end of this mail.
Post by Vic Heintz
So in BitPim's phonebook entry editor I must
change the William Heintz Fullname entryfor each of them to their
nicknames. (I suppose now I will also have to copy the imported URL
field into the nickname field.)
Most of these difficulties stem from trying to use fields for different
purposes than they are labelled as. Since we can't change any of the
other programs, we'll have to allow some flexibility in BitPim to
do this. My intention is still that the fields as displayed in the
user interface be used exactly for what they are labelled as, but that
some amount of mapping can be done when reading/writing to the phone.
Post by Vic Heintz
PS In the vCard import the entry "X-Palm-Category1:Family" is also
ignored
There is a perfectly good 'categories' field in the vCard standard :-)
Anyway that is another field the Windows Palm Desktop doesn't generate
in the vCard so I never knew about it.

Can you export a vCard with every single field filled in?

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:last;first
FN:first last
TITLE:title
ORG:company
ADR;WORK:;;work address;work city;work state;work zip;work country
ADR;HOME:;;home address;home city;home state;home zip ;home country
ADR:;;other address;other city;other state;other zip;other country
NOTE:note
BDAY:20050127
URL;WORK:website
TEL;WORK:work
TEL;HOME:home
EMAIL:email
TEL;CELL:mobile
TEL;PREF:main
TEL:other
TEL;FAX:fax
X-Palm-Custom1:custom1
X-Palm-Custom2:custom2
X-Palm-Custom3:custom3
X-Palm-Custom4:custom4
X-Palm-Custom5:custom5
X-Palm-Custom6:custom6
X-Palm-Custom7:custom7
X-Palm-Custom8:custom8
X-Palm-Custom9:custom9
X-PALM-IM;MSN:aim
X-PALM-IM;Yahoo:msn
PHOTO;JPEG;BASE64: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END:VCARD

Roger
Vic Heintz
2005-01-10 00:23:08 UTC
Can you export a vCard with every single field filled in?
Output from Mac Palm Desktop 4.2.1

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
FN:Prefix First Last Suffix
N:Last;First;;Prefix;Suffix
BDAY:19840315
ADR;WORK;QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Work Street=0D=0AWork Street Line
2;WorkCity;NY;12345-6789;USA
ADR;HOME;QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Home Street=0D=0AHome Street Line 2;Home
City;NY;98765-4321;USA
LABEL;QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Work Street=0D=0AWork Street Line
2=0D=0AWorkCity, NY 12345-6789=0D=0AUSA
TEL;WORK:2222222222 x222
TEL;HOME:3333333333
TEL;FAX:4444444444
TEL:5555555555 (This one was labeled Other)
EMAIL:***@some.domain.com
TITLE:Title
ORG:Company;Division
NOTE;QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=0D=0A[Comments]=0D=0AComments
REV:20050109
URL:http://my.website.net
X-Palm-Custom1:Custom 1
X-Palm-Custom2:Custom 2