[BitPim-devel] Fw: Re: [BitPim-user] BitPim 0.7.25, Samsung SCH-A670, and Ringtones
d***@netzero.com
2005-01-21 07:04:03 UTC
future that if BitPim is smart enough to bring up the
convert dialog, it should be smart enough to know which
formats it can convert and which it can't.
Actually, we don't have a clue. ffmpeg handles all of
that.
In QueryAudio, if the format is not known, should we return as is or proceed with the conversion and let ffmpeg figure it out?
Second, I ripped the Track.cda file to a Track.wav file,
and dragged and dropped that into BitPim. It happily put
it on the UI without conversion.
Joe looks after this phone so he'll need to update it to do >length/size checks.
Should this, and other limits, be planned out for all phones or be handled individually? Also, where should the checks be performed, my guess is that it'd be right before sending the data (or not) to the phone.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-01-21 08:56:45 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Actually, we don't have a clue. ffmpeg handles all of
that.
In QueryAudio, if the format is not known, should we return
as is or proceed with the conversion and let ffmpeg figure it
out?
The latter. ie we assume the data is not in a suitable format
unless we explicitly know otherwise.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Should this, and other limits, be planned out for all phones
or be handled individually?
Each phone has its own limits which is why QueryAudio is called
on the Profile object. You'll need the logic there. Note that
you can also say what the maximum size is with a 'MAXSIZE' attribute
in the fileinfo object returned.

This scheme is also going to extend to images, where you'll
care more about the origin.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Also, where should the checks be performed, my guess is that
it'd be right before sending the data (or not) to the phone.
They will be performed when adding images and ringtones. My
intention is to display non-conforming items with a different
background or something like that. That would happen if
you read stuff from one phone and then changed model. Another
occassion would be if you change the origin. (eg a 640 x 480
jpg is fine with an origin of "camera", but would need to
be smaller and potentially a different format with an origin
of "images").

Just before sending to the phone will be the last place the
check is added, if ever. To get to the point where that
check would fail, you would have to go through the media
add process or suck it off a different phone model, and
then ignore the cues that it is out of spec, and then
decide to send it to the phone anyway.