[Bitpim-devel] Re: Mac screen shots
Roger Binns
2004-07-07 01:57:20 UTC
Here are some screen shots.
Thanks.

When was someone going to tell me how hideous BitPim looks on the Mac?
I don't think the UI is very good for BitPim and would welcome
any suggestions for improvements. The best way of doing suggestions
is to knock up a fake screenshot.

If someone has a Mac I can access over the Internet using VNC next
week and try to do some cosmetic improvements then please let me
know.

Is there any chance you could redo them with some changes?

- Use a resolution of 1024x768. The widescreen mode you
have results in images with an aspect ratio that doesn't
fit with the other screenshots.

- Select an item in the wallpaper view so that the right hand
panel has stuff in it. You can select more than one item
and it looks even more impressive.

- Include the menu bar since it looks wierd not having one
to non-Apple users. I had a look through all the screenshots
on the Apple website and noticed that they almost never
include the menu bar, but that appears to be because
most Mac apps have way more toolbar buttons and other widgets
as part of the user interface. Your BitPim shots make it
look like you can't do anything with BitPim! (Actually
use your best judgement on this one)

Anyway, the phonebook shot certainly looks good so I will at
least use that unless you come up with something better.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-07-07 02:22:06 UTC
Here are some screen shots.
Thanks.
When was someone going to tell me how hideous BitPim looks on the Mac?
I don't think the UI is very good for BitPim and would welcome
any suggestions for improvements. The best way of doing suggestions
is to knock up a fake screenshot.
Ouch! Well, BitPim works well on the Mac (for me), and I'm happy with
it.
Post by Roger Binns
If someone has a Mac I can access over the Internet using VNC next
week and try to do some cosmetic improvements then please let me
know.
Contact me. I'll install what you need and set my phone up for
bitfling.
Post by Roger Binns
Is there any chance you could redo them with some changes?
- Use a resolution of 1024x768. The widescreen mode you
have results in images with an aspect ratio that doesn't
fit with the other screenshots.
- Select an item in the wallpaper view so that the right hand
panel has stuff in it. You can select more than one item
and it looks even more impressive.
A warning for Mac folk using "Grab" for screen shots (and a partial
apology to Roger who must be happy with what he gets, I'm a Unix geek
using a Mac), part of this was driver error on my part: if you use
"grab", use either the timed grabber or the "click screen shot when
ready" grabber, because I did all of the screen shots that Roger hates
over once because the first time nothing was selected, and I didn't
want to do them over again to make them look better, such as selecting
an item as Roger says. I managed to de-select the item while starting
up "grab".
Post by Roger Binns
- Include the menu bar since it looks wierd not having one
to non-Apple users. I had a look through all the screenshots
on the Apple website and noticed that they almost never
include the menu bar, but that appears to be because
most Mac apps have way more toolbar buttons and other widgets
as part of the user interface. Your BitPim shots make it
look like you can't do anything with BitPim! (Actually
use your best judgement on this one)
OK, if someone wants to help Roger out be sure to do a full screen
"grab" and not just a "window grab".
Post by Roger Binns
Anyway, the phonebook shot certainly looks good so I will at
least use that unless you come up with something better.
Roger, I use Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows, and the Mac (once they
went Unix), and all-in-all the Mac by far looks the best. But I only
use BitPim on the Mac so I might be fooled.

Peter
Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-07-07 02:58:47 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Post by Roger Binns
When was someone going to tell me how hideous BitPim looks on the Mac?
I don't think the UI is very good for BitPim and would welcome
any suggestions for improvements. The best way of doing suggestions
is to knock up a fake screenshot.
Ouch! Well, BitPim works well on the Mac (for me), and I'm happy with
it.
The filesystem view is way wierd, and the toolbar is lacking text labels.
The log pane looks word wrapped, but not at the window boundary where it
should be. Some of the gray spaces should probably be the background
colour instead of gray.
Post by Peter Dufault
Post by Roger Binns
If someone has a Mac I can access over the Internet using VNC next
week and try to do some cosmetic improvements then please let me
know.
Contact me. I'll install what you need and set my phone up for
bitfling.
Note that I don't want to do BitFling. I actually want to do a remote
desktop (ie edit and run code on the Mac machine). It is done using
RDP or VNC for remoting a Windows desktop, and various VNC tools for
remoting a Linux desktop. I don't know if there is a vnc server for
MacOS X (I have found several for earlier versions of MacOS). Fink
appears to contain vnc client only.
Post by Peter Dufault
Roger, I use Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows, and the Mac (once they
went Unix), and all-in-all the Mac by far looks the best. But I only
use BitPim on the Mac so I might be fooled.
You can compare at http://www.bitpim.org/#screenshots

The 3rd shot is Linux, all the rest are Windows. Linux looks almost identical
to Windows except for ringtones, where each item takes a variable amount
of space so they look like a mess instead of a grid.

Hopefully wxPython 2.5.2 will look a lot better and more consistent.