[BitPim-devel] BitPim 0.8.13 LG PM-325 image preview aspect ratio wrong
Baltz, Philip
2006-04-26 15:04:22 UTC
I've downloaded the official 0.8.13 release and noticed an issue with
adding wallpapers. The Image Preview window defaults to a landscape
aspect ratio of approximately 128 (wide) x 100 (tall) instead of the
correct portrait size of 128 x 160.

I assume that the BitPim default screen size is being used because the
PM325 size has not been specified.

-phil
Stephen Wood
2006-04-26 15:26:12 UTC
Thanks for pointing this out. In addition to this, there are a couple of
other minor issues that I am working on for the LG325 support.

1. Full size camera images not yet downloaded
2. Group assignments on phonebook upload seem not to work.

Please pass along any other issues with the LG325 and I will try to deal
with them before the next release.

Thanks, Stephen
-phil
Jerad Clark
2006-04-26 16:12:34 UTC
I submitted a minor patch to Simon about an issue I had. The default
images on the phone cannot be assigned to a phonebook entry. If they
are, the phone will reset itself when that entry is accessed.

changing the builtinimages to builtinimages = ( ) will fix that.

Jerad
All the evil in this world is a denial of what is true.
Baltz, Philip
2006-04-27 13:07:45 UTC
I have a related question. Why is the Image Preview the only way to add
images to a phone. I prefer to use an external program to format and
size the image that I want to use. It would be good if there were some
way to import a picture without going through the Image Preview process.

-phil

________________________________

-phil
Simon C
2006-04-27 14:22:35 UTC
Post by Baltz, Philip
I have a related question. Why is the Image Preview the only
way to add images to a phone. I prefer to use an external
program to format and size the image that I want to use. It
would be good if there were some way to import a picture
without going through the Image Preview process.
Hold down the shift key when you press the add button, it will skip the
converter.

What do others think about adding a 'skip conversion' button to the the
image and ringer converters? This questions comes up frequently.

Simon
Jerad Clark
2006-04-27 15:19:14 UTC
When you click on the add image (or ringer) you could have a popup box
ask whether to convert and add or to just add, with the option of
saving this answer as a preference somewhere, so it doesn't ask
everytime if you don't want it to.

or a button sounds good too.....

Jerad
Roger Binns
2006-04-27 16:17:58 UTC
Post by Simon C
What do others think about adding a 'skip conversion' button to the the
image and ringer converters? This questions comes up frequently.
These are the following categories of people adding image/ringtones:

1 - They have a file and just want it to come out correctly on the phone
2 - BitPim has the wrong information so they create/resize the content
externally before giving it to BitPim
3 - They believe BitPim has the wrong information (but doesn't) and
create/resize the content externally

I believe #1 is the largest community and we should cater to them.
#2 are doing themselves a disservice by not telling us the correct
numbers. Their situation should be fixed by giving us the numbers,
not a bypass. I believe #3 are the most vocal and that we should
not waste our time with them.

Roger
Simon C
2006-04-27 17:02:11 UTC
1 - They have a file and just want it to come out correctly on the phone
2 - BitPim has the wrong information so they create/resize the content
externally before giving it to BitPim
3 - They believe BitPim has the wrong information (but doesn't) and
create/resize the content externally
4, They prefer to use a separate graphics package to create the image of the
right dimensions rather than the bitpim editor. I think we should cater for
these folks.
Bitpim 'converts' images which are already the right size and afterward
(real case here) it is 20K instead of 6K, is the same resolution but the
quality is worse visually than it was before.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-04-28 04:45:27 UTC
Post by Simon C
4, They prefer to use a separate graphics package to create the image of the
right dimensions rather than the bitpim editor. I think we should cater for
these folks.
If the BitPim editor is unusable then it should be fixed.
Post by Simon C
Bitpim 'converts' images which are already the right size and afterward
(real case here) it is 20K instead of 6K, is the same resolution but the
quality is worse visually than it was before.
That is a bug then which should be fixed rather than having workarounds.

One thing that may help is that we can look at an incoming image
and if the size and format already match an origin, then don't
put up the editor and just add it to that origin.

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2006-04-27 16:36:58 UTC
Post by Simon C
Hold down the shift key when you press the add button, it will skip the
converter.
What do others think about adding a 'skip conversion' button to the the
image and ringer converters? This questions comes up frequently.
Holding down the shift key to skip conversion amounts to a hidden option.

There are enough issues with conversions for the various phones, and
whether an image is to be used as wallpaper, or for a different purpose
(such as background for a contact), that I think it is unreasonable to
expect all the BitPim developers to keep up with all the permutations of
image sizes required.

For that reason, I think the option to skip conversion should be more
apparent to users. For every person who takes the time to write a note
asking about the issue, there are probably five others that just accept a
poorly imported image.

John

John O'Shaughnessy
Roger Binns
2006-04-28 03:51:54 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
There are enough issues with conversions for the various phones, and
whether an image is to be used as wallpaper, or for a different purpose
(such as background for a contact), that I think it is unreasonable to
expect all the BitPim developers to keep up with all the permutations of
image sizes required.
In fact it is exactly the developers who should keep track. We already
do it for everything else (how many phone book entries, what types
of phone numbers are allowed etc). It is even more unrealistic to
expect individual users to keep track of this stuff rather than in one
centralized place.

2006-04-27 22:06:15 UTC
Post by Simon C
Hold down the shift key when you press the add button, it will skip
the converter.
This questions comes up frequently.
That's why it's in the BitPim FAQ!

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Joe Pham
2006-04-27 22:13:19 UTC
Post by Simon C
4, They prefer to use a separate graphics package to create the
image of the right dimensions rather than the bitpim editor. I think
we should cater for these folks.
And we do! That was why we added the Shift+Add feature. I don't think adding a button to the conversion dialog is a good idea since that could get annoying pretty quickly. Perhaps an option in the Settings dialog instead.

Simon C
2006-04-28 02:29:04 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
And we do! That was why we added the Shift+Add feature. I
don't think adding a button to the conversion dialog is a
good idea since that could get annoying pretty quickly.
Perhaps an option in the Settings dialog instead.
How would this be annoying, all you have to do is not press it, there is
space on the dialog to fit an extra button. The shift key does not work with
drag and drop.

The fact that we get questions about this on a regular basis means that
something can be improved. I want to make a change to reduce the questions
we get asked. I don't think a settings option will do this, although I think
it is a good addition as well, for the power users.

Simon
Simon C
2006-04-28 05:56:39 UTC
Post by Simon C
of the right dimensions rather than the bitpim editor. I think we
should cater for these folks.
If the BitPim editor is unusable then it should be fixed.
Users wanting to user a different editor is not a bug, just user preference.
We do provide a bypass mechansim, I think we should make it easier to use so
that the support emails stop.
Post by Baltz, Philip
One thing that may help is that we can look at an incoming
image and if the size and format already match an origin,
then don't put up the editor and just add it to that origin.
Agree.

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-04-28 06:08:49 UTC
Post by Simon C
How would this be annoying, all you have to do is not press it,
there is space on the dialog to fit an extra button.
Most users would fall into 2 groups: those who want to use the converter and those who don't. For those who do, the button is a waste and it's a moot point anyway. For those who don't, why keep having to click on that button: the annoying factor!
Post by Simon C
The shift key does not work with drag and drop.
That is true. But then again, d&d only works in Windows anyway.
Post by Simon C
I don't think a settings option will do this
I think it would since it addresses the needs of the majority of the users.

Simon C
2006-04-28 16:58:21 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
That is true. But then again, d&d only works in Windows anyway.
looking at 0.8.08 (it has a large data sample), 94% of downloads were
windows, 4.7% mac, 1.3% linux.
Drag and drop is available to most of the bitpim users.
Post by Joe Pham
I don't think a settings option will do this
I think it would since it addresses the needs of the majority of the users.
I'm not sure I agree with this, but for now I'll make it a settings only
option, if we still get user queries about this after that then we can
revisit.

Simon
Jerad Clark
2006-04-29 02:32:28 UTC
Just to toss out an idea, what about something where the icon has an
optional submenu?

So, you can either hit the button and it will do it's default, or you
can hit the little optional submenu and choose another action that is
slightly different (bypass BitPim Editor)

I know this exists in Photoshop, and obviously the MS Office applications.

Jerad
Roger Binns
2006-04-29 04:50:49 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
Just to toss out an idea, what about something where the icon has an
optional submenu?
I still prefer to just directly add the item if it matches the
format/size for an origin. That way if people have already
correctly sized and formatted their image then it will go
straight in. No need for options all over the place and
more complicated code and more places for bugs.

Roger
Baltz, Philip
2006-04-28 12:59:01 UTC
Hold down the shift key when you press the add button, it will skip
the converter.
This questions comes up frequently.
That's why it's in the BitPim FAQ!
-Joe Pham
That's interesting because the FAQ was the first place I looked and
didn't see any thing about the Shift+Add solution. Which section is it
in? The "Add Images" section doesn't talk about using Shift.

-phil
Joe Pham
2006-04-28 15:33:03 UTC
It's in the BitPim help as well as http://www.bitpim.org/help/faq-bypassimagepreview.htm

Joe Pham
2006-04-29 05:06:33 UTC
I still prefer to just directly add the item if it matches the
format/size for an origin.
possibly +-10% of the size?

Roger Binns
2006-04-29 05:49:20 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I still prefer to just directly add the item if it matches the
format/size for an origin.
possibly +-10% of the size?
A few pixels maybe. More than that and the phone will be putting
strips across the sides or top/bottom and then we'll get
questions from people asking to how to resize to fit exactly.

The goal is to ensure that if people have correctly formatted
and sized their image then it just gets added. All others
have the opportunity to use the builtin BitPim tool which
knows exactly about the formats, sizes and origins. There will
be a few remaining people who deliberately want the wrong sized
image in which case that minority can use shift.

Roger
Simon C
2006-04-29 06:17:00 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I still prefer to just directly add the item if it matches the
format/size for an origin.
possibly +-10% of the size?
A few pixels maybe. More than that and the phone will be
putting strips across the sides or top/bottom and then we'll
get questions from people asking to how to resize to fit exactly.
The goal is to ensure that if people have correctly formatted
and sized their image then it just gets added. All others
have the opportunity to use the builtin BitPim tool which
knows exactly about the formats, sizes and origins. There
will be a few remaining people who deliberately want the
wrong sized image in which case that minority can use shift.
The aspect ratio is the key as to whether the image will look any good on
the phone, it will be scaled on the phone.

I'll add an option in the settings to disable conversion worded as "Edit
images that do not fit phone display.", if the image did not match the
aspect ratio of one of the origins closely (~+-0.01 (I'll test to find a
good value)) the editor would appear as it does today.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-04-29 16:31:28 UTC
Post by Simon C
The aspect ratio is the key as to whether the image will look any good on
the phone, it will be scaled on the phone.
It is only recent phones that do the scaling. The older ones center
the image and put black borders for the dimensions that are too small.
Post by Simon C
I'll add an option in the settings to disable conversion worded as "Edit
images that do not fit phone display.", if the image did not match the
aspect ratio of one of the origins closely (~+-0.01 (I'll test to find a
good value)) the editor would appear as it does today.
I don't see why an option is needed (it is more code to test, maintain
and go wrong).