[BitPim-devel] Phone model on status bar
Adit Panchal
2005-03-05 08:48:02 UTC
I know this may be unnecessary and some people might think "What's the
point, if you just check your settings, you can find it out?" But I
think it is rather helpful to know what phone model I am currently
using. I switch between two phones and seeing the phone model in the
status bar makes it easier to know whether I need to get in the
preferences to change it.

It would probably also cut down on questions on bitpim-user that relate
to not changing the default of the LG-VX4400 to the right phone model.

Attached is a diff that should enable it. The only thing is that I
added two lines when the config is updated in guihelper that will
update the statusbar after a model change. I think a better way of
getting the phone model is reading it out of pubsub. Unfortunately, it
is late for me, and I can't figure out which piece of code subscribes
to PHONE_MODEL_CHANGED. If I can figure that out, I can redo it so that
each time that particular subscriber calls PHONE_MODEL_CHANGED, it will
update the status bar. For now though, the patch works without error.

Thanks,

Adit
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-06 08:07:04 UTC
Post by Adit Panchal
update the statusbar after a model change
I think that's a good idea, and since I was doing some work on the status bar, I "ported" your changes in. The changes should be availabe in the Devel CVS.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Adit Panchal
2005-03-06 14:54:12 UTC
Thanks Joe. The only thing that I couldn't get properly was the
formatting of the text. It always looked off, since you can't right
justify the field. I just made a variable field, since some of the
phone models have longer names. Maybe you could take a look at that if
you get a chance.

Adit
-Joe Pham
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-06 18:09:54 UTC
The only thing that I couldn't get properly was the formatting of the >text.
All I did at this point was to make sure that the fields are big enough to hold the longest phone model name. As more models are added and their names get longer, we may have to adjust. Right now it seems to work ok.