[Bitpim-devel] A project for someone
Roger Binns
2004-05-03 06:07:48 UTC
I would really love it if someone who is familiar with wxWidgets/
wxPython could complete the hexeditor. It is needed by several
bits of code.

The file is standalone in hexeditor.py, and what I need is an edit
mode. The idea is that the current byte should be highlighted.
Pressing tab should jump between the hex bytes side and the ascii
side. It should be able to be in insert mode or overwrite mode.
There is a status line at the bottom that is shown when the widget
has focus, and the idea is that will tell you if you are in insert
mode or overwrite mode, and potentially other information (eg
decimal value of byte at cursor).

Please let us know if you can work on this in the near future.

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-05-03 14:33:55 UTC
I would really love it if someone who is familiar with wxWidgets/
wxPython could complete the hexeditor. It is needed by several
bits of code.
For ideas/etc, here is another hex editor in Python that is under the
Python license:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/python/

I have only looked at it briefly... It doesn't run quite properly
under MacOS X, but I'm sure that it could be fixed, and if you use it
to flesh out the current editor then maybe the bad bits won't come
along with it. :-) (Actually, the initial error was due to the
assumption that locale.getdefaultlocale() returned a valid set of
languages, on the Mac it returns None, so it was easy to work around
that, but visually it need a bit of TLC on the Mac).
Roger Binns
2004-05-04 00:37:22 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
For ideas/etc, here is another hex editor in Python that is under the
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/python/
I have only looked at it briefly...
It is written by the same guy who does pySerial. However it is particularly
bad for BitPim's purposes.

The BitPim code (specifically the analyser) needs a way of highlighting
byte ranges. It also needs to operate on the data in memory, although maybe
that one takes StringIOs.

Bizarrely it doesn't seem to have an insert vs replace mode.

For the BitPim one, I need the following functionality:

- insert and replace mode
- limiting range of bytes that can be editted (thereby
providing an easy way to let people overwrite
"Verizon Wireless" in various files)

There is probably a bit of NIH going on as well, but I feel it is
justified :-)

If noone volunteers, I will do it myself.