[BitPim-devel] Impression on the new media GUI
Joe Pham
2006-05-22 01:51:04 UTC
I got to play with it a bit, and here are some of my initial opinions:

1. The new media tree & pane view look nice. The icons are nice.
2. Can't create the 'sounds' origin if one doesn't already exist.
3. I like the old drag-and-drop since I use it all the time.
4. I don't like opening items with temp file names.
5. I REALLY do not like storing the media data in the database.

My recommendations: keep the new GUI and the existing data structure. The index dicts can be moved into the DB, but there're no real advantages of doing that either. The index dict can also be improved to support same filename in separate dirs.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Simon C
2006-05-22 02:45:35 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
2. Can't create the 'sounds' origin if one doesn't already exist.
I added a member to the profile to allow the developer to define the ringer
origins for each phone, look at the 9800 code for an example.
Post by Joe Pham
5. I REALLY do not like storing the media data in the database.
It isn't. The data is in a directory in the bitpim directory, the files are
named using the md5 hash of the data. The database just has pointers to
these files as per Roger's suggestion.
Post by Joe Pham
My recommendations: keep the new GUI and the existing data structure.
The index dicts can be moved into the DB, but there're no real
advantages of doing that either. The index dict can also be improved
to support same filename in separate dirs.
Moving the index into the database is tied to the gui changes and other
improvements like storing the file time and the workaround for not being
able to read back media from the 8100 now in the code and the changes
required for supporting the same name in multiple places and I don't want to
port any of this back to the old index as there is no advantage.
However going back to the old style media directories instead of the md5
named files but adding a path for the origin is something that I can do, it
is an isolated change. It will fix the drag and drop, temp filenames and
copy features as well.

How does this sound?

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-05-22 21:31:49 UTC
Post by Simon C
I added a member to the profile to allow the developer to define the
ringer origins for each phone,
Why not just use the standard origins that all phones have been using up to now: ringers, sounds, images, and video. We'll add new standard origins as the need arises. No need to update the phone profiles.
Post by Simon C
It isn't. The data is in a directory in the bitpim directory, the
files are named using the md5 hash of the data. The database just
has pointers to these files as per Roger's suggestion.
Cool.
Post by Simon C
It will fix the drag and drop, temp filenames and copy features as
well.
How does this sound?
As long as we don't lose any existing functionality moving from the existing GUI to the new one, it sounds good to me.

Simon C
2006-05-23 03:45:02 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Why not just use the standard origins that all phones have
been using up to now: ringers, sounds, images, and video.
We'll add new standard origins as the need arises. No need
to update the phone profiles.
It gives a false impression of what the phone supports, however it is just a
couple of lines of code.

Simon
Simon C
2006-05-23 04:38:50 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
It will fix the drag and drop, temp filenames and copy features as
well.
How does this sound?
As long as we don't lose any existing functionality moving from the
existing GUI to the new one, it sounds good to me.
I've checked in the changes for this. Do you want time to try it before I
merge the code back to the main branch?

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-05-23 05:01:33 UTC
Post by Simon C
I've checked in the changes for this. Do you want time to try it
before I merge the code back to the main branch?
Yes, please give me a couple of days to finish up a few things.