[BitPim-devel] vCards
Morten Lied Johansen
2005-07-24 20:48:06 UTC
Hello

I've spent a few days on and off looking around the net for a python
module for handling vCards, without much luck. I finally landed on
bitpim, noticing that you seem to have rolled your own module.

After having had a quick look at it, it seems to me that it's well
designed and *almost* ready for use outside bitpim. I notice there are
some areas of the vCard standard that isn't handled, but the design
seems to be good enough to make it fairly straight forward to extend the
module to handle those as well.

As there really is a need for a vcard module in python, are there any
plans for releasing the module standalone? If not, would anyone object
to someone else lifting it out of bitpim and making it standalone?
--
Morten Lied Johansen
No Books Are Lost By Lending Except Those You Particularly Wanted To
Keep. -- Atwoods Corollary
Joe Pham
2005-07-24 21:14:58 UTC
I notice there are some areas of the vCard standard that isn't
handled,
What specific features are you looking for?

Surfing so fast you won't believe it's not broadband!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-07-25 04:35:59 UTC
There are several other vCard modules for Python, but most are incomplete
or don't work against real world vCards (ie the ones ouput by real programs
almost all of which are broken according to the standards)
Post by Morten Lied Johansen
As there really is a need for a vcard module in python, are there any
plans for releasing the module standalone? If not, would anyone object
to someone else lifting it out of bitpim and making it standalone?
I am quite happy for modules to be taken out and made standalone
as long as someone else maintains them. ie if BitPim is maintaining
them then they'll just stay part of the BitPim source.

Since all the code is under the GPL, you can just take it and do this
anyway. In most cases, you'll probably want it under a Pythonic license
instead. Use the cvs annotate/blame and history to find out who wrote
the code. In the case of code written by me, I am happy to relicense it
under any of the OSI certified ones.

Roger
Morten Lied Johansen
2005-07-25 17:19:09 UTC
Post by Morten Lied Johansen
As there really is a need for a vcard module in python, are there any
plans for releasing the module standalone? If not, would anyone object
to someone else lifting it out of bitpim and making it standalone?
I am quite happy for modules to be taken out and made standalone
as long as someone else maintains them. ie if BitPim is maintaining
them then they'll just stay part of the BitPim source.
That sounds reasonable. I haven't decided if I have the time I would
like to have in order to follow up on the project I had in mind for
using this in, so nothing is going to happen for a while anyway.
Post by Roger Binns
Since all the code is under the GPL, you can just take it and do this
anyway. In most cases, you'll probably want it under a Pythonic license
the code. In the case of code written by me, I am happy to relicense it
under any of the OSI certified ones.
I feel it's always worth doing things like this in concert with the
original authors instead of "behind their back". Even if they have
licenced their work under GPL, not everyone is happy with others
"tampering" with their babies, and unneeded animosity might be the
fallout. :)

If I do decide to go ahead with this, I'll let you know, so that we can
discuss licencing. I don't feel entirely comfortable with GPL, but I
think we should be able to find atleast one OSI certified licence that
would work.. :)
Post by Roger Binns
What specific features are you looking for?
I wasn't looking for any features in particular, as I haven't really
gotten down to looking at what I'll be needing in detail. It was just a
general observation.