[BitPim-devel] COM "Profiles"
Chris Beuschel
2005-09-27 01:12:37 UTC
Hey,

I don't know how feasible this is for someone who knows what they're doing,
but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Is it possible to add a module to BitPim that allows it to "learn" what
works to connect to your phone? The 30 second delay to connect when you
first start BitPim is by no means too much of a tradeoff for a product that
actually works as well as it does, but I thought it would be a handy feature
to have. For those with multiple phones, there could be a COM Profile
Manager of sorts. For each profile, BitPim stores what settings worked last
time, and allows the user to name it, or just uses the phone model as a
name.

I do have some programming experience myself, but I honestly don't have the
time to try and learn Python to take a stab at this myself, as much as I'd
like to.

Can I get your thoughts on this?

Chris
Roger Binns
2005-09-27 05:11:49 UTC
Post by Chris Beuschel
Is it possible to add a module to BitPim that allows it to "learn" what
works to connect to your phone?
If the code knew what the current settings on the phone are then it
would just do that! It does currently do the most sensible things
first such as assuming it is in the correct mode. Operations are
only tried once on direct USB connections. For serial connections
the most likely speeds are done first.

And learning wouldn't be too much help since doing things like
rebooting the phone changes the mode.

IIRC the detection phase also reduces timeouts from the default of
3 seconds down to one second. Maybe it could be made even shorter
again?

Please post the log of the 30 seconds from when you first connect
your phone to see if we can get any other ideas.

Roger
Chris Beuschel
2005-09-28 01:37:47 UTC
Please post the log of the 30 seconds from when you first connect
your phone to see if we can get any other ideas.
I suppose I might have exaggerated a bit; looking at a log I just created,
it ran to be more around 13 seconds. I guess I'm just impatient :) Here's
the log:

21:36:11.453 COM3: Opening port COM3, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000,
hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
21:36:11.467 COM3: Open of comm port suceeded
21:36:11.467 PM8200: Attempting to contact phone
21:36:11.467 PM8200: Listing dir ''
21:36:14.483 COM3: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes
read
21:36:14.483 COM3: Changed port speed to 38400
21:36:18.000 COM3: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes
read
21:36:18.015 COM3: Changed port speed to 115200
21:36:21.515 COM3: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes
read
21:36:24.530 PM8200: Now in brew mode