[BitPim-devel] Origins and formats
Roger Binns
2005-02-04 06:59:07 UTC
I want to get origin changing as well as image format conversion
into the next build. Please start thinking about what is needed
for the phone models you do.

My plan is as follows:

The phone Profile will need to provide QueryImageOrigins and
QueryAudioOrigins that return a list of origins. There will
probably be something about which ones are read and which
written (eg camera is only read from LG phones).

Items that have an origin not in the list will not be given
back to the routines to write to the phone.

On adding or displaying media, the QueryOrigins functions
will be used to find out if it should be converted. The Query
function will not be called for origins not supported by the
phone.

The QueryImage function will be substantially similar in
signature and semantics as the QueryAudio function.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-04 13:21:47 UTC
The phone Profile will need to provide QueryImageOrigins and >QueryAudioOrigins that return a list of origins
May I suggest a more generic QueryOrigins, which can support future media types including video & text, etc.
On adding or displaying media, ...
I assume users would be able to either specify an origin or accept a default one when adding new media?

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-02-04 17:03:50 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
May I suggest a more generic QueryOrigins, which can support future
media types including video & text, etc.
You can suggest, but it isn't relevant :-) The origins for each media
type are independent of each other. For example you'll find the
camera origin isn't much use for ringtones. The grouping and hence
different functions will be based on the tabs in the UI and the sections
in the Get/Send Data dialog.
Post by d***@netzero.com
On adding or displaying media, ...
I assume users would be able to either specify an origin or accept a
default one when adding new media?
Yes.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-04 20:09:42 UTC
The origins for each media type are independent of each other.
Understood. I was thinking along the line of:

QueryOrigins(media_type, *args)

but that may get too weird or uncessary complicated. Just some random thought.

Roger Binns
2005-02-05 22:51:33 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
The origins for each media type are independent of each other.
QueryOrigins(media_type, *args)
but that may get too weird or uncessary complicated. Just some random thought.
The difference is whether media_type is part of the function name or
the first parameter. I am going to make it part of the function name.

I actually need two types of information. Origins will be seperate
distinct places on the phone (eg if the phone stores camera, images
and MMS in different places). Within each of those could be different
targets(*) for what the intended use is (eg picture id, outside screen,
full screen wallpaper).

Generally the targets are only used when adding to BitPim in the yet to
be written dialog that helps do conversions. The origins are at the
phone protocol level.

(*) I need a better word than targets to describe it ...

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-07 04:47:03 UTC
Items that have an origin not in the list will not be given back to >the routines to write to the phone.
For those that are sent to the phone write routines, would there be any info wrt their types (jpg, gif, png, etc.)?

Roger Binns
2005-02-07 05:39:21 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
For those that are sent to the phone write routines, would there
be any info wrt their types (jpg, gif, png, etc.)?
That would be a good idea. The LGDirectoryMedia class currently
uses the file extension (it has to write out a mime-type).

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-07 05:52:28 UTC
For the Samsung SCH-A670 phone, an instance of fileinfo.ImgFileInfo (or similar info for other media types) would be ideal. As a next option, fileinfo.identify_imagefile(image_data) would conveniently allow phone code to identify media types when necessary.

Roger Binns
2005-02-07 06:16:56 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
For the Samsung SCH-A670 phone, an instance of fileinfo.ImgFileInfo
That is what I was intending to pass into the savewallpaper and
related routines.