[BitPim-devel] Phone Info Dialog
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-25 06:26:50 UTC
What do you all think of the idea of a simple Phone Info Dialog that display some specific info about the currently attached phone. Info that might be displayed includes: Manufacturer, Model, ESN, Phone #, Transmission Mode, Battery Level, etc. This dialog could be launched of a Menu Item under Edit or Settings.

Just a thought.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-03-25 06:50:16 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
What do you all think of the idea of a simple Phone Info Dialog
The original BitPim used to do that (using AT commands) until I
couldn't get out of diagnostics mode and took it out.

It is actually very difficult to do these days for LG phones
since when accessed via USB they actually show up as two
different com ports. (One is the modem/AT stuff and one is
the diagnostics interface)

If you thought it was tough getting people to pick one port
accurately, two is even more fun :-)

But don't let that stop you :-)

What I really want to do is beef up BitPim detecting phones and
storing settings.

For the phone detection, we should be able to interrogate all
ports and find the phones there. We should even be able to
interrogate the phones to find the ESN/IMEI and then label
them "Jack's Phone" "Jill's Phone" etc.

In cases where we can't, I'd like the detection to be more
sophisticated. Imagine a dialog that has fields for
carrier, manufacturer, model, com port etc. We get the user to
fill out what they know for sure and try to work out the
rest. I'd even like to get images from phonescoop in there
to help out.

So put all of the above into what you are thinking about and
maybe make some mock screenshots of new user interface for
it.

I really would love not having to tell BitPim what phone I
have or where it is plugged in, and have it automatically
adapt if I unplug one and plug in another.

As a safety feature I would also like the various phone
modules to verify (eg in getfundamentals) that the phone
is actually the correct model.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-03-30 05:11:47 UTC
For the phone detection, we should be able to interrogate all ports
and find the phones there.
I believe those features are feasible.
We should even be able tointerrogate the phones to find the ESN/IMEI
and then label them "Jack's Phone" "Jill's Phone" etc.
Where would users enter such info, the Settings panel?
Imagine a dialog that has fields for carrier, manufacturer, model,
com port etc.
Hopefully, the detection scheme would work well enough so that we don't need any of those info.

For now, I'd like to start by adding a simple Phone Info dialog with some basic phone info such as: Manufacturer, model, phone #, firmware version, signal strength/quality, battery level, and other misc info.

Roger Binns
2005-03-30 07:06:01 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
We should even be able tointerrogate the phones to find the ESN/IMEI
and then label them "Jack's Phone" "Jill's Phone" etc.
Where would users enter such info, the Settings panel?
Once we can auto-detect the existence of a phone, we can then get
the unique identity for it. We need somewhere to store config
information. The two choices are as a compressed file on the
phone itself, and in the config database of the host machine.
If we can't find either then we can prompt the user for the
name of the phone and some settings (eg first last or last
first).

Those settings need to be available to various routines,
with appropriate defaults.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Imagine a dialog that has fields for carrier, manufacturer, model,
com port etc.
Hopefully, the detection scheme would work well enough so that we don't
need any of those info.
True. Working out the carrier will be interesting :-)
Post by d***@netzero.com
For now, I'd like to start by adding a simple Phone Info dialog with
some basic phone info such as: Manufacturer, model, phone #, firmware
version, signal strength/quality, battery level, and other misc info.
Go for it!