[BitPim-devel] Next Build
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-12 17:19:44 UTC
My stuff can wait also. I'm waiting for the Query* and dynamic origin stuff. Since wx does not support saving gif files, what's your plan for those phones that can support gif images. Also, I know we touched on this topic in previous posts, but what's your plan on the GUI for handling video download? For the A670, the video file format will be uncompressed AVI with no sound. Right now, I'm just saving the files straight to wallpaper dir.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-02-15 07:38:33 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
My stuff can wait also. I'm waiting for the Query* and dynamic origin stuff.
You can have a look at the bottom of wallpaper.py to see what I have so far.
Make a test.jpg file with any old image in it and run wallpaper.py. Of note
is that there are origins, and targets within the origin. The former specify
distinct storage locations within the phone and the latter are distinct
image sizes/formats within that origin.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Since wx does not support saving gif files, what's your plan for those phones
that can support gif images.
Not caring :-) The goal here isn't to offer every possible combination of
settings etc. The goal is to get the user's image from outside of BitPim
into the phone with the least amount of hassle, questions, options or anything
else from BitPim.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Also, I know we touched on this topic in previous posts, but what's your plan
on the GUI for handling video download? For the A670, the video file format
will be uncompressed AVI with no sound. Right now, I'm just saving the files
straight to wallpaper dir.
I would like to get thumbnails out of the video, such as frames one second
apart. It should just be another origin.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-15 19:06:15 UTC
You can have a look at the bottom of wallpaper.py to see what I have >so far.
It looks pretty cool! In the GerTargetsForImageOrigin dict, can we add and make use of a tuple of formats supported by the phone, ie ("jpg", "bmp", ...)? If the incoming image format is of one of the supported formats, no conversion would be needed.
Not caring :-) The goal here isn't to offer every possible >combination of settings etc.
Agreed, but should BitPim allow users to send unsupported images to the phone unprocessed?
I would like to get thumbnails out of the video, such as frames one >second apart. It should just be another origin.
I guess I could start with having just one static frame for the thumbnail.

Roger Binns
2005-02-17 08:07:06 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
It looks pretty cool! In the GerTargetsForImageOrigin dict, can
we add and make use of a tuple of formats supported by the phone,
ie ("jpg", "bmp", ...)? If the incoming image format is of one
of the supported formats, no conversion would be needed.
Yes, but if any sizing has to happen then conversion will have to
happen, even if it is to the same type as it already is. Basically
in the code we'll have to make a decision.

What I do intend to do is let the user use the image file unaltered.
That means no resizing, no format conversion, nothing. That way
control freaks can do whatever they want outside of BitPim. The
rest of us can have BitPim do the work for you without bothering
you with trivial details.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Agreed, but should BitPim allow users to send unsupported images to the phone unprocessed?
If they try hard enough to bypass the user friendliness then yes :-)
Post by d***@netzero.com
Post by Roger Binns
I would like to get thumbnails out of the video, such as frames
one >second apart. It should just be another origin.
I guess I could start with having just one static frame for the thumbnail.
Yes. Actually before that we need an image in the resources directory
that represents a movie. That can be used initially and then we can
work up to one static frame, and finally some sort of sequencing.

One of my motivations behind writing the custom widget for displaying
media was ensuring it could handle having some sort of timer and
updating images.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-17 19:39:30 UTC
Actually before that we need an image in the resources directory
that represents a movie.
For an AVI file, I just return an wx.Image of the first frame of the video. That seems to work ok.