[Bitpim-devel] Various updates
Roger Binns
2004-05-08 03:32:14 UTC
I have committed code that does speed dial reading and writing for
the LG VX phones. It is fully tested on the VX4400 and VX6000.
I would appreciate reports for the VX4500. The VX4600 has the
code disabled as noone has come forward with information.

The documentation also needs updates. Start at
http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/

The sections of Phones, BitFling and About BitPim and
everything within them should be up to date. If there
is stuff missing, badly worded etc please post about it.
I still need more info about the VX4500 like what actually
works.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-05-08 14:46:28 UTC
The sections of Phones, BitFling and About BitPim and
everything within them should be up to date. If there
is stuff missing, badly worded etc please post about it.
I still need more info about the VX4500 like what actually
works.
The only thing I know works perfectly is the phone book. The
wallpapers can be sent fine and show up in the phone properly, but when
I try to get them back python segfaults. I haven't tried ringtones
yet. I'll look at that this PM and test your speed dial support
assuming my internet connection comes back up (I'm accessing email via
backup dialup) and I can CVS your latest changes.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Peter Dufault
2004-05-08 15:32:24 UTC
I still need more info about the VX4500 like what actually
works.
The internet came back up, so here are a few notes.

First a Mac note: first thing I did was "Edit->Settings" and changed
the phone type from LG4400 to LG4500 and nothing was logged, either on
the startup terminal screen or the log screen, so maybe that isn't
being saved.

Essentially I did "Get/Send phonebook", "Get/send wallpaper", "Get/Send
midi files", and "Get/Send Calendar entry" without any problems, no
segfaults at all today.

Too bad I can't figure out how to look at the calendar entries on the
phone. If there is anyone else out there with a VX4500 who isn't new
to both BitPim, modern cell phones in general the VX4500 in particular
feel free to join in the testing.

Where do you view or set speed dial settings from BitPim?

When I have more time I'll go over things more, but at the basic level
things are working well. I'll try to work through the "test" directory
next. I tried to generate the tests while running under GDB, here's
the stack traceback. I doubt this helps much, I'll try to track down
where it is happening in gentestdata.py.

Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Generating 8 midi files
... generation complete
Generating 60 wallpaper files
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
0x98c5a1d0 in CopyRgn ()
(gdb) where
#0 0x98c5a1d0 in CopyRgn ()
#1 0x98c67e8c in GetPortVisibleRegion ()
#2 0x025d7a94 in wxWindowDC::~wxWindowDC() ()
#3 0x025d801c in wxPaintDC::~wxPaintDC() ()
#4 0x025d82d8 in wxMemoryDC::~wxMemoryDC() ()
#5 0x01088fe4 in _wrap_delete_wxDC ()
#6 0x95fa94a8 in PyEval_GetFuncDesc ()
#7 0x95fa6c64 in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#8 0x95fa7e30 in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()
#9 0x95f5f354 in PyFunction_SetClosure ()
#10 0x95f4a8d0 in PyObject_Call ()
#11 0x95f529e8 in PyMethod_New ()
#12 0x95f4a8d0 in PyObject_Call ()
#13 0x95fa91ec in PyEval_CallObjectWithKeywords ()
#14 0x95f4e13c in PyInstance_New ()
#15 0x95fa4e30 in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#16 0x95fa7e30 in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()
#17 0x95fa97dc in PyEval_GetFuncDesc ()
#18 0x95fa9580 in PyEval_GetFuncDesc ()
#19 0x95fa6c64 in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#20 0x95fa9728 in PyEval_GetFuncDesc ()
#21 0x95fa9580 in PyEval_GetFuncDesc ()
#22 0x95fa6c64 in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#23 0x95fa7e30 in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()
#24 0x95fa4734 in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#25 0x95fc85f0 in PyRun_FileExFlags ()
#26 0x95fc7668 in PyRun_SimpleFileExFlags ()
#27 0x95fd1ec0 in Py_Main ()
#28 0x00003c78 in ?? ()
#29 0x00003aec in ?? ()
(gdb)

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-05-08 18:19:34 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
First a Mac note: first thing I did was "Edit->Settings" and changed
the phone type from LG4400 to LG4500 and nothing was logged, either on
the startup terminal screen or the log screen, so maybe that isn't
being saved.
Nothing is logged to screen or terminal. Look at ~/.bitpim which is
what should be changed.
Post by Peter Dufault
Too bad I can't figure out how to look at the calendar entries on the
phone. If there is anyone else out there with a VX4500 who isn't new
to both BitPim, modern cell phones in general the VX4500 in particular
feel free to join in the testing.
By this do you mean you can't figure out the user interface on
the phone, or that BitPim is getting something wrong? The UI on
the VX4400 is Menu - Organizer - Schedule. On the VX6000 it is
Menu - Tools - Schedule
Post by Peter Dufault
Where do you view or set speed dial settings from BitPim?
The speed dial field is part of the editor for each phone number.
I suppose at some point we'll need some new UI that shows all the
speed dials together and lets you change them.
Post by Peter Dufault
When I have more time I'll go over things more, but at the basic level
things are working well.
So just to confirm, you can't find any flaws in the reading and writing
of phonebook, calendar, wallpaper or ringtones?
Post by Peter Dufault
I'll try to work through the "test" directory next.
The data it generates is more of a "stress" than a useful test. (Actually
the midis and wallpapers are fine - the phonebook and calendar are a little
extreme :-)
#5 0x01088fe4 in _wrap_delete_wxDC ()
That narrows down in the code where it is happening. Try the following
change (which I also just committed). Move the following lines out of
the wallpaper generation and put them immediately after if __name__=='__main__'

# Move wx stuff here
import wx
app=wx.PySimpleApp()

If that still causes trouble, add the following two lines after the above two.

frame=wx.Frame(None, -1, "Nothing")
frame.Show(True)

It will cause a window to appear on the screen.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-05-08 21:00:14 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Too bad I can't figure out how to look at the calendar entries on the
phone. If there is anyone else out there with a VX4500 who isn't new
to both BitPim, modern cell phones in general the VX4500 in particular
feel free to join in the testing.
By this do you mean you can't figure out the user interface on
the phone, or that BitPim is getting something wrong? The UI on
the VX4400 is Menu - Organizer - Schedule. On the VX6000 it is
Menu - Tools - Schedule
I meant on the phone. I don't have the phone here, but I do have the
User's Guide and I don't see anything there about "Schedule" on the
menu tree other than "Voice Scheduler". But it did send and receive
the calendar with the entries I created on BitPim, and I saw the Ascii
going by in the log so I know it was transferred.
Post by Roger Binns
So just to confirm, you can't find any flaws in the reading and writing
of phonebook, calendar, wallpaper or ringtones?
Correct. All worked today.

That narrows down in the code where it is happening. Try the following
change (which I also just committed)...
Will do next time I have the phone by the computer.

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-05-09 00:49:17 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
I meant on the phone. I don't have the phone here, but I do have the
User's Guide and I don't see anything there about "Schedule" on the
menu tree other than "Voice Scheduler".
That is the right thing. The user interface is identical to the VX4400
and VX6000 except there is a voice field. You can see this stuff online.
For example the VX4500 demo is at
http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia/mim/lg_vx4500/VX4500.swf

Compare with the VX6000 one at
http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia/mim/lg_vx6000/VX6000.swf
Post by Peter Dufault
But it did send and receive
the calendar with the entries I created on BitPim, and I saw the Ascii
going by in the log so I know it was transferred.
That doesn't mean anything. The calendar is just two files, there isn't
a protocol. Consequently it would work with any phone. We need to
verify the data file location and format has remained the same. Given
the additional voice field they aren't likely to be.

The files used for the calendar on the other phones are sch/schedule.dat
and sch/schexception.dat. I recommend deleting the files and then
rebooting the phone. It will recreate them empty. Add some events
and check to see if BitPim reads them correctly.

There is one field labelled changeserial which is actually wrong and
controls how the UI on the phone shows the repeat. (Its a nice little
project for someone to fix if they want :-)
Post by Peter Dufault
Post by Roger Binns
That narrows down in the code where it is happening. Try the following
change (which I also just committed)...
Will do next time I have the phone by the computer.
You don't need to a phone to run the test data generator.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-05-09 01:46:46 UTC
You don't need to a phone to run the test data generator.
True, but when working on the phone stuff I'd rather have the phone so
I can try things out.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.