[Bitpim-devel] BitPim on Fedora Linux
Roger Skildum
2004-04-28 21:26:49 UTC
I have got the developers version of BitPim running on Fedora Core 1 but
must still have something wrong. When I browse the com ports all I see
is the Inoperable Ports. When I am able to get BitPim 0.7-test8 running
I see all the active USB ports, IE: Printer, Scanner, compact disk
reader, and of course the phone cable. Any Ideas?

Also can you tell me about the Bug in the Linux 2.4 kernel with the
future dial cable. I am currently running kernel 2.4.22-1.2115 and the
newest official release is 2.4.22-1.2188. I have noticed that Fedora
will not boot or shutdown with the cable plugged in but since I have not
been able to get it to work yet in Linux not sure what happens when a
program stops using it.
Thanks
Roger S.
Roger Binns
2004-04-28 23:14:32 UTC
Post by Roger Skildum
I have got the developers version of BitPim running on Fedora Core 1 but
must still have something wrong. When I browse the com ports all I see
is the Inoperable Ports. When I am able to get BitPim 0.7-test8 running
I see all the active USB ports, IE: Printer, Scanner, compact disk
reader, and of course the phone cable. Any Ideas?
You need to compile the USB support.

You will need to have a recent Swig (at least 1.3.19). RH9 had an ancient
one - presumably they have their act together with FC1.
Post by Roger Skildum
Also can you tell me about the Bug in the Linux 2.4 kernel with the
future dial cable.
It is in the usbserial module and causes random kernel panics when
using USB to serial cables. I believe it was mostly fixed in 2.4.23
(and 2.6).

2004-04-29 00:03:19 UTC
You need to compile the USB support.
You will need to have a recent Swig (at least 1.3.19). RH9 had an ancient
one - presumably they have their act together with FC1.
I failed to mention how to compile the USB support.

Change to the native/usb directory and run build.sh

Roger
Roger Skildum
2004-04-29 00:48:02 UTC
Post by Roger Skildum
When you say "compile the USB support" do you mean to compile USB
support into the Kernel instead of using Modules? I have Swig 1.3.19-5.
Nope. I mean that in order to access the kernel USB support, a
library named libusb is used. libusb is designed to be used with
C. The Swig tool generates wrapper code that lets the C library
be used in Python.

Roger
Roger Skildum