[BitPim-devel] Calendar Feature Requests
Chad Burrus
2008-08-23 18:34:02 UTC
First off, I love this program. I've been looking for a way to sync
my Google calendars to my phone (an LG VX-8800 Venus) for a while now,
and this program makes that very simple. As far as I'm concerned, the
other features are just icing on the cake, so to speak.

That being said, I've noticed a couple things where I think the
calendar functionality could be improved quite a bit.

1. There needs to be a way to delete old events in bulk from the
calendar stored in the database. I can cheat by deleting the old
events on my phone (which does provide such a feature), syncing that
to my computer, importing my calendars (using the proper filter, of
course), and then re-syncing to my phone, but that seems like a lot of
hassle when I could just hit a button or run a command in BitPim to
clear out all the old events before syncing them to the phone in the
first place. (If there is such a feature and I just missed it, please
point out the error of my ways.)

2. This one is a little more esoteric. I'd like a way to go through
all recurring events on the calendar and then update them to the most
recent future recurrence before syncing them to my phone. This
might make more sense with an example--I've got this calendar of
birthdays, and naturally, I made them start on the people's actual
birthdays when I knew it, some of which were quite a few years ago
(for example, 1982, 1983, etc.) so I could figure out the person's
actual age. However, when I sync those with my phone, all the ones
starting ages ago are missing (out of range for the phone's calendar,
I guess) while the ones entered more recently show up. Updating those
missing ones to start in the current year allows them to come through.
This also supports the whole concept of deleting old events mentioned
above.

I don't see anything like these requests on the Todo list (except
maybe the "Database data item deletion" point), and I'd be willing to
volunteer some testing and development time (Python's not my best
language, but I wouldn't mind getting better at it). I started
getting a development instance set up last night, but I figured I
should check in with the list to see if anyone had any pointers on
where to start, if someone had already started something not on the
todo list, or even if these are good ideas. (I certainly think so,
but I'm kinda biased.) Again, thanks for making this program--it's
really quite wonderful.

Chad Burrus
Joe Pham
2008-08-25 03:37:44 UTC
Post by Chad Burrus
1. There needs to be a way to delete old events in bulk from the
calendar stored in the database.
Another way is to import your calendar data using "Replace All" action, which would delete all existing BitPim calendar items and replace them with new items being imported.

Wanna lose weight? Weight Loss Programs that work. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijlkYN4nJ4w5ZmFwOzD485M4NNsyzCAJss7zDQyXJczZmMVS0/
Joe Pham
2008-08-25 03:40:58 UTC
I'd like a way to go through all recurring events on the calendar
and then update them to the most recent future recurrence before
syncing them to my phone.
Try using the options of importing repeat/recurring events as multi-single events.

Are you safe? Click for free quote on home security system.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijm3zr7tji9QPMmfgAwez1NZwolo9bXSlHuV9Up2VhbTS6VMY/