[Bitpim-devel] Re: Bitpim on Linux
j j
2003-05-09 19:44:38 UTC
I'm developer and would like to run bitpim on linux.
is there a way i can get the python source code so i
can try it out. I read on the bitpim page that the
developer runs it in both linux and windows. if i can
get it to work i can create a package to distribute
it.

thanks,

James J

http://search.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-05-09 20:47:55 UTC
Post by j j
I'm developer and would like to run bitpim on linux.
is there a way i can get the python source code so i
can try it out. I read on the bitpim page that the
developer runs it in both linux and windows. if i can
get it to work i can create a package to distribute
it.
To use it on Linux:

- Ensure you have Python installed (this is the language bitpim is
written in)
- Install wxPython from http://www.wxpython.org (this is the graphical
toolkit used)
- Install pySerial from http://pyserial.sourceforge.net (this deals
with accessing serial ports)
- Checkout the source code using CVS from SourceForge. Instructions
are at http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=75211
- run bp.py

Packaging is not as trivial as it sounds. Doing a straight forward RPM
is simple, but will give the user dependency hell. Also pySerial is not
available as a RPM.

The other form of packaging (which I use on Windows) is to bundle all
dependencies up and make it look externally as a single self contained
package. There is software that helps do this (see McMillan installer).

I will be doing both of these eventually myself unless someone else
does first. My current priority is to finish the calendar stuff
(which turned out to be as much work as almost all other features
combined), polish remaining things up and then do a 0.7 release.
In 0.8 I will focus on import/export.