[Bitpim-devel] New Calendar design
d***@netzero.com
2004-11-23 18:30:27 UTC
Based on previous feedbacks and suggestions, I've updated design of the new Calendar dict and the Outlook-BITPIM-mapping as follows:

Outlook BITPIM
Subject description:'string'
Location location:'string'
Importance priority: int # 1-10, 1=highest priority
Start start: { date: (y,m,d), time: (h,m) }
End end: { date: (y,m,d), time: (h,m) }
IsRecurring repeat: # more on this later
ReminderSet alarm:int # key present if T, absent if F
ReminderMinutesBeforeStart alarm:int # minutes before start time
Categories categories:['string']
AllDayEvent if T: time components are absent in 'start' & 'end'.
EntryID serials: { serial1:'string' }
FolderID serials: { sourceuniqueid:'string' }
serials: { sourcetype: 'outlook' }
Body notes:'string'
ringtone:'string' # name of ringtone
wallpaper:'string' # name of wallpaper

'repeat': { # only one type (key) should be present for each event
'daily': { 'interval': int, 'dow': ['sun', ..., 'sat'] }
'monthly': { 'interval': int, 'dom': int }
'monthlynth': { 'interval': int, 'instance': int, 'dow': ['sun'..'sat'] }
'weekly': { 'interval': int, 'dow': ['sun'..'sat']
'yearly': { 'dom': int, 'moy': int }
'yearlynth': { 'instance': int, 'dow': ['sun'..'sat'], 'moy': int }
# optional
'suppressed': [(y,m,d)] # days excluded from this recurring event
}

Filtering paramters: (startdate, enddate, categories)
Users can either 'Replace' or 'Add' outlook events into BITPIM.
Preview pane will be available for users to select Outlook calendar foler,
view events pending for import, set filtering parameters, and OK or CANCEL.

conversion code:

This proposed approach allows existing com_phone* calendar code to work with the new (and existing) BP Calendar code:

com_phone:
class Profile:
+ BP_Calendar_Version=1 # default to existing Calendar data structure version=1

gui:
class MainWindow(wx.Frame):
def OnDataGetPhoneResults(self, exception, results):
# calendar
if results['sync'].has_key('calendar'):
v=results['sync']['calendar']
if v=='MERGE': raise Exception("Not implemented")
+ results['calendar_version']=self.phoneprofile.BP_Calendar_Version
self.calendarwidget.populatefs(results)
self.calendarwidget.populate(results)

def OnDataSendPhone(self, _):
### Calendar
v=dlg.GetCalendarSetting()
if v!=dlg.NOTREQUESTED:
merge=True
if v==dlg.OVERWRITE: merge=False
+ data['calendar_version']=self.phoneprofile.BP_Calendar_Version
self.calendarwidget.getdata(data)
todo.append( (self.wt.writecalendar, "Calendar", merge) )

Based on the Version value, appropriate conversion will be done on the calendar data.

As always, questions & comments are welcome.

NetZero Platinum $9.95.
NetZero HiSpeed $14.95.
Sign up Today at http://www.netzero.net or
Visit Sam Goody, Suncoast or MediaPlay Stores.
Roger Binns
2004-11-24 03:58:26 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
This proposed approach allows existing com_phone* calendar
It all sounds good to me. Feel free to start ploughing ahead.

Roger
d***@netzero.com

Roger Binns
2004-11-25 06:17:28 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Are you planning to code the calendar & UI yourself, or
how would you like to coordinate that?
I will commit to doing the calendar writing to the LG phones.

As for the rest of it, I am happy for anyone else to do it,
and if noone does then I will eventually get around to it.
I will be doing the database stuff first, as well as writing
a new display widget.

Roger

Vic Heintz
2004-11-24 18:39:25 UTC
This site not only recommends BitPim but provides a copy of the Windows
0.7.20 version for download: http://123usb.net/charging_usb.html .
Should they be doing that?

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-25 02:25:15 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
This site not only recommends BitPim but provides a copy of the Windows
0.7.20 version for download: http://123usb.net/charging_usb.html .
Should they be doing that?
Yes, anyone can freely redistribute BitPim. To anyone whom they give
binaries, they also have to make source available on request. Seperately
from that there is a note on the main page of bitpim.org in the "Official
Versions" section:

We do not offer any support or other resources for versions of BitPim
that are not downloaded from the official site. You need to go to
whomever distributed whatever it was it you got.

Someone from 123usb.net did email me a few weeks ago, asking if it is ok
to link. I pointed out that it was, but they should make clear this
official versions thing. They never responded back.

I must admit I fail to understand why other sites offer copies of BitPim.
They aren't doing us any favours, and SourceForge has *way* more download
bandwidth arranged than other sites could hope to offer. And then they
are more likely to be out of date etc

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-11-24 20:52:48 UTC
A little bit of praise from the Samsung A670 Yahoo group:

"Bitpim can manage phonebook, wallpaper, ringers and calander.
Quicklink only does phonebook. I use both programs as I prefer the
layout of QL to manage my phonebook. I use Bitpim to download my
ringers and wallpapers (kudos to the makers of Bitpim, that is one
kickass program). "

Note, however, that this user likes the Quicklink phonebook layout
better.

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-25 02:06:01 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Note, however, that this user likes the Quicklink phonebook layout
better.
Do you have a screenshot or any other indication why?