[Bitpim-devel] 0.7.17 now available
Roger Binns
2004-08-29 08:07:22 UTC
0.7.17 is now available for download from SourceForge
for those of you who want binary packages. The only
outstanding issue is that the month label is not drawn
on Linux in the calendar pane. (Actually the draw
request is made, wxPython just doesn't do it).

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-08-29 21:01:42 UTC
Last I looked the Jaguar build was not available.

I am a newbie developer hoping to work on Mac OS with the Samsung a670
phone. I need a jump start. To use an olympics metaphor, I have jumped
over most of the hurdles but have yet to cross the finish line! I have
successfully installed MacPython-OSX-2.3.3 and
wxPythonOSX-2.5.2.7-jaguar-Py2.3 . I even figured out cvs enough to
perform a "cvs -z3
-d:pserver:***@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bitpim co bitpim"

But when I go to my bitpim directory and try to run it, here is what
happens:
python bp.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bp.py", line 74, in ?
import gui
File "gui.py", line 23, in ?
import wx
ImportError: No module named wx

What do I need to do to get this wx module?

Vic
Roger
Steven Palm
2004-08-30 00:34:20 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Last I looked the Jaguar build was not available.
Barring any unseen obstacles, it will be up in a day or so.

Steve
Roger Binns
2004-08-30 00:55:52 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
ImportError: No module named wx
What do I need to do to get this wx module?
The wx module is wxPython.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-08-30 00:55:56 UTC
OK, so I discovered there is more than one python binary. Got slightly
further using the one NOT first in my path:

[Vic-iBook:~] vic% which python
/usr/bin/python
[Vic-iBook:~] vic% /usr/local/bin/python
/Users/vic/Projects/bitpim/bp.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/vic/Projects/bitpim/bp.py", line 74, in ?
import gui
File "/Users/vic/Projects/bitpim/gui.py", line 35, in ?
import importexport
File "/Users/vic/Projects/bitpim/importexport.py", line 24, in ?
from DSV import DSV
ImportError: No module named DSV

Looks like it is not finding the DSV lib now. Where am I supposed to
put it? I can get past this point by putting DSV.py file in the bitpim
directory and editing importexport.py to say "import DSV" but the next
hurdle is:

File "/Users/vic/Projects/bitpim/commport.py", line 12, in ?
import serial
ImportError: No module named serial
(I actually saw the BitPim splash screen before I hit this error.)
Didn't expect it to be this hard to get started. Help!

Vic
Vic
Roger Binns
2004-08-30 01:22:53 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Didn't expect it to be this hard to get started. Help!
You would make life considerably easier for yourself by following
the developer instructions, rather than trying to guess what they
are :-)

http://bitpim.org/developer.html

Note especially the second paragraph of the getting started section.
Especially important is that whichever 'python' you invoke will be
the one that installs the package, and only installs the package
for itself, not the other instances.

The developer instructions point at the wrong version of wxPython
which I will fix soon.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-08-30 21:41:21 UTC
Finally got python set-up so I could run BitPim from a MacOS Jaguar
Terminal window. First thing I notice in this 0.7.17 version is some
sort of semi-transparent window blocking all but the three leftmost
tabs on the main window. I can still choose the tabs even though I
can't read the text on the tabs. It goes away when I resize the window.
Just an annoying little nit FYI.

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-08-30 21:52:07 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Terminal window. First thing I notice in this 0.7.17 version is some
sort of semi-transparent window blocking all but the three leftmost
tabs on the main window. I can still choose the tabs even though I
can't read the text on the tabs. It goes away when I resize the
window. Just an annoying little nit FYI.
Well, there isn't actually any code in BitPim that creates an
annoying semi-transparent window.

It may be a glitch with the grid control which used to behave really
badly. wxPython 2.5.2.8 (released today) allegedly includes a fix to
improve it, although the grid still misbehaves in some of my testing.

Roger
Peter Wood
2004-09-02 12:01:54 UTC
Greetings,
Post by Roger Binns
0.7.17 is now available for download from SourceForge
for those of you who want binary packages. The only
I have downloaded and installed 0.7.17 on my Mac OS X 10.3.5 system.
I'm pleased to say that I am no longer having any problems downloading
wallpaper and ringtones! With the previous versions, bitpim would
crash halfway through downloading my wallpapers and ringtones, because
of an error in wxPython... now I can get through the whole download
with no trouble at all! Hooray! :-)

I have taken some screenshots of various windows in bitpim on my
system, so that you can see how the GUI looks:

http://gallery.prwdot.org/bitpim

Thanks!

Peter
Peter R. Wood - ***@gmail.com - http://prwdot.org/
Peter Wood
2004-09-02 13:09:43 UTC
P.S.

The one annoying thing about 0.7.17, which must be a part of the
update to wxPython 2.5.x, is that the windows now open with a *very*
annoying zooming rectangle feature. I don't know if wxPython has a way
to turn that off, but it bugs me...

Also, in the phonebook screenshot, the big black boxes were put there
by me... not part of the actual display. Heh. :-)

Finally, in the prefs window, the bottom is, in fact, cut off in the
on-screen display. I didn't just slice it off in the screenshot.
Peter R. Wood - ***@gmail.com - http://prwdot.org/
Roger Binns
2004-09-04 07:15:57 UTC
Post by Peter Wood
I have taken some screenshots of various windows in bitpim on my
The FlexGridSizer is used for the config dialog and I think it is
broken. I had a similar issue with it in the category manager.
I'll experiment with using the wx.GridBagSizer instead which
appears to be less buggy.

2004-09-06 21:45:50 UTC
Post by Peter Wood
I have taken some screenshots of various windows in bitpim on my
The FlexGridSizer is used for the config dialog and I think it is
broken. I had a similar issue with it in the category manager.
I'll experiment with using the wx.GridBagSizer instead which
appears to be less buggy.
I have now changed the code to use the GridBagSizer. Please can
you check to see if it comes out better. As a bonus, the config
dialog is no longer resizable :-)

Roger

Vic Heintz
2004-09-02 14:16:30 UTC
Anxious to try it but the Jaguar build is not available yet. I have
used this version via Python and it seems to work much better than the
previous release did on my Mac. Should the program behave exactly when
run through Python via Terminal as it does as a released binary app? If
so then 17 is a huge improvement over the 16 binary app which crashed
frequently when doing CTRL-click file saves or dir backups in
filesystem view.

Vic
Post by Peter Wood
Greetings,
2004-09-03 06:02:34 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
previous release did on my Mac. Should the program behave exactly
when run through Python via Terminal as it does as a released binary
app?
Yes. To get exactly the same you must run it by invoking

python -OO bp.py

That will turn off the debug printing. You should also have all
the optional stuff installed such as paramiko and libusb.
Post by Vic Heintz
If so then 17 is a huge improvement over the 16 binary app which
crashed frequently when doing CTRL-click file saves or dir backups in
filesystem view.
It is good to hear that. You Mac folks need to increase your
downloads though. Currently it is 1.6% Linux, 6% Mac and the
rest Windows.

I just compared with Azureus which is one of the top downloads on
SF. It is 4.3% Linux, 5.6% Mac and the rest Windows.

Roger
Peter Wood
2004-09-03 13:02:39 UTC
It is good to hear that. You Mac folks need to increase your
downloads though. Currently it is 1.6% Linux, 6% Mac and the
rest Windows.
Well, now that the app is actually worth using on a Mac, I might
consider promoting it. :-) Previously, I was hesitant to recommend
that Mac users download it, since it was just too flaky. Though I
think the window zooming thing is going to annoy a lot of us... still,
I'll try and push it some more. :-)

Peter
--
Peter R. Wood - ***@gmail.com - http://prwdot.org/