[Bitpim-devel] LG speed dials
Roger Binns
2004-05-07 19:28:44 UTC
I just figured out the LG speed dial format for the VX4400 and
VX6000 and am adding them to the code.

For people with the other LG phones (eg 4500 & 4600) please
supply the following information:

- How big is the file pim/pbspeed.dat? I would expect it to
be a multiple of 100, most likely 300.

- How many speed dials does the phone have? The answer is
most likely 100.

- What is the first and last speed dial shown in the user
interface? The answer most likely is 2 and 99 respectively.

Please verify the format. This is an example from my test
data:

00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff 09 00 01 01 00 00 ff ff ff ff

Each speed dial uses 3 bytes. The first two are the
entry number, and the next one is the index as to
which phone number in the entry is used. Interpretting
the above:

SD #0 Entry 0xffff Number 0xff
SD #1 Entry 0xffff Number 0xff
SD #2 Entry 0x0009 Number 0x01
SD #3 Entry 0x0001 Number 0x00
etc

Then read the phonebook into BitPim and look in the log.
In my case SD#2 should correspond to

12:26:52.983 LG-VX6000: Read entry 9 - John Doe

In the phonebook entry editor, I then see that the second
phone number listed is Home for John Doe which is indeed
what the speed dial points to in the user interface.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-05-07 20:06:23 UTC
I just figured out the LG speed dial format for the VX4400 and
VX6000 and am adding them to the code.
For people with the other LG phones (eg 4500 & 4600) please
- How big is the file pim/pbspeed.dat? I would expect it to
be a multiple of 100, most likely 300.
Yes, 300
Post by Roger Binns
- How many speed dials does the phone have? The answer is
most likely 100.
I'm not sure since they are only numbered 1 to 99, see next answer.
Post by Roger Binns
- What is the first and last speed dial shown in the user
interface? The answer most likely is 2 and 99 respectively.
Yes, 02 to 99, with 01 reserved for voice mail.
Post by Roger Binns
Please verify the format. This is an example from my test
00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff 09 00 01 01 00 00 ff ff ff ff
Each speed dial uses 3 bytes. The first two are the
entry number, and the next one is the index as to
which phone number in the entry is used. Interpretting
SD #0 Entry 0xffff Number 0xff
SD #1 Entry 0xffff Number 0xff
SD #2 Entry 0x0009 Number 0x01
SD #3 Entry 0x0001 Number 0x00
etc
The next part I don't understand. I had no speed dial entries at all,
so I gave my brother's first phone number speed dial number 2. He
shows up in the log as:

15:51:20.685 LG-VX4500: Read entry 21 - Brother Dufault

Now I hexdump pim/pbspeed.dat:

00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff 17 00 00 ff ff 02 ff ff 03 ff
00000010 ff 04 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
(Balance are 0xff)

Interpreted:

SD #0 0xffff 0xff
SD #1 0xffff 0xff
SD #2 0x0017 0x00

Shouldn't that be 0x0015 to correspond to read entry 21?
HD Associates, Inc.
Peter Dufault
2004-05-07 20:19:39 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
15:51:20.685 LG-VX4500: Read entry 21 - Brother Dufault
00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff 17 00 00 ff ff 02 ff ff 03 ff
00000010 ff 04 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
(Balance are 0xff)
SD #0 0xffff 0xff
SD #1 0xffff 0xff
SD #2 0x0017 0x00
Shouldn't that be 0x0015 to correspond to read entry 21?
There appears to be an offset of 2. I just added speed dial entry #3
for my wife's second phone. She is at read entry 47. Now I get this
for the hexdump:

00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff 17 00 00 31 00 01 ff ff 03 ff
.........1......
00000010 ff 04 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

SD #2 0x0017 0x00
SD #3 0x0031 0x01

0x17 = 23 = read entry 21 + 2.
0x31 = 49 = read entry 47 + 2.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-05-07 20:29:33 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Post by Roger Binns
- How many speed dials does the phone have? The answer is
most likely 100.
I'm not sure since they are only numbered 1 to 99, see next answer.
That will tie in with the actual speed dials being 0 thru 99
(ie 100 of them). The user interface just hides 0 and 1.
Post by Peter Dufault
Shouldn't that be 0x0015 to correspond to read entry 21?
The data is right and I was just taking a short cut. Each
phonebook entry has an entry number. If you just create 20
in a row, they will be numbered 0 thru 19. If you delete
12, the BitPim log will show 0 thru 18, but the actual
entry numbers inside each entry remain the same (ie a hole
at 12) and the speed dials are pointing to the entry
numbers. You can see this in the protocol log.

But good catch and I will double check the code is really
doing the right thing and using the right entry number.