[Bitpim-devel] Stupid Mac question: Where are python's core dumps?
Peter Dufault
2004-05-07 22:06:42 UTC
I've found a few places that Python segfaults on the Mac with BitPim,
but I can't find the core dumps.

Specifically, reading back wallpapers or trying to generate the test
stuff with "python experiments/gentestdata.py tests" will segfault.

Phone: Vx4500
O/S: OS X 10.3.3
BitPim: 0.7test10 latest

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-05-07 22:24:34 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Specifically, reading back wallpapers or trying to generate the test
stuff with "python experiments/gentestdata.py tests" will segfault.
I don't have a Mac so I don't know. However you should be able to
run Python under gdb or equivalent.

$ gdb /usr/bin/python
(gdb) run experiments/gentestdata.py tests

That should dump you into the debugger at the point of the
seg fault.

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-05-08 22:30:06 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
I've found a few places that Python segfaults on the Mac with BitPim,
but I can't find the core dumps.
~/Library/LogsCrashLogs/ They're note coredumps, but rather Apple's
debug logs.

To have these generated, make sure it's turned on by the following
line in /etc/hostconfig:

CRASHREPORTER=-YES-

The system should use /cores to store core dumps in, but by default
they are turned off (set to 0 as the maximum size via ulimit -c). If
you put the following line in /etc/hostconfig, they will be activated
again:

COREDUMPS=-YES-

The above is referenced by /etc/rc.common to set `ulimit -c unlimited`
on bootup. Of course, you could just do that manually when you wanted
to enable them and `ulimit -c 0` when you wanted to disable them.