[BitPim-devel] media index
Simon C
2005-10-23 15:46:19 UTC
The 8100 & 5200 support 2 locations for audio files. They both use the
LGNewIndexedMedia for their media.

The problem is that the index range in both locations is the same, i.e. they
use overlapping indexes.

The 8100 code should look like this, but it does not work due to the index
overlap.

ringtonelocations= (

# type index-file size-file directory-to-use
lowest-index-to-use maximum-entries type-major icon

( 'ringers', 'dload/my_ringtone.dat', 'dload/my_ringtonesize.dat',
'brew/16452/lk/mr', 100, 150, 1),

( 'sounds', 'dload/mysound.dat', 'dload/mysoundsize.dat',
'brew/16452/ms', 100, 150, 1),

)

Before I dig into the code, am I missing anything?

Simon
Roger Binns
2005-10-24 01:36:17 UTC
Post by Simon C
The problem is that the index range in both locations is the same, i.e. they
use overlapping indexes.
That doesn't make sense. The index number is used in the phonebook, calendar
etc to refer to media items. If both locations use the same overlapping
range then how would the phone know which one to look in?

Roger
Simon C
2005-10-24 04:17:22 UTC
Post by Simon C
use overlapping indexes.
That doesn't make sense. The index number is used in the phonebook,
calendar
etc to refer to media items. If both locations use the same overlapping
range then how would the phone know which one to look in?
The 5200/8100 have 3 separate audio areas,
1 Ringtones, used for calendar, and phonebook and alerts (like SMS arrival).
2 Sounds, recordable by the user and can be sent/received via MMS.
3 Mp3, copied by the user onto an mini sd card, phone automatically
regenerates the index file when the card is inserted into the phone.

I suspect that the carriers (Verizon) did not want people to be able to use
MMS to be able to send ringtones to each other so that they could get more
cash from users by requiring them to download ringtones.

I can't think of a simple way to make this work with bitpim.
Joe Pham
2005-10-24 06:31:59 UTC
Post by Simon C
1 Ringtones, used for calendar, and phonebook and alerts (like SMS
arrival).
This is what BitPim (and the data structure) currently supports.
Post by Simon C
2 Sounds, recordable by the user and can be sent/received via MMS.
Can these be assigned to contacts, events, alerts, and ringers similar to #1?
Post by Simon C
3 Mp3, copied by the user onto an mini sd card, phone automatically
regenerates the index file when the card is inserted into the phone.
What and how would BitPim be used for #2 and #3?

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Simon C
#1?
No, they can only be used with MMS
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
3 Mp3, copied by the user onto an mini sd card, phone automatically
regenerates the index file when the card is inserted into the phone.
What and how would BitPim be used for #2 and #3?
To allow users to retrieve and add these sounds in the same way it does with
other personal data in the phone.
This is not a big deal, and with MP3s the user can plug the SD card into
their PC directly, and updating the index is done by the phone. The sounds
are a bit different, but could be considered as part of support for MMS.
Joe Pham
2005-10-25 05:06:45 UTC
Post by Simon C
Post by Joe Pham
What and how would BitPim be used for #2 and #3?
To allow users to retrieve and add these sounds in the same way it
does with other personal data in the phone.
If that's the case, then the indices make no different and you can preset them to any arbitrary values. Furthermore, the 'origin' value should be set to something other than 'ringtone'.