[Bitpim-devel] Audiovox CDM 8900
Roger Binns
2004-03-03 10:36:57 UTC
I now have an Audiovox CDM 8900 thanks to RPI Wireless. However I
cannot get it to talk. The modem side works fine. On the diagnostics
connection, I can quite happily send any commands or traffic and it
never returns a single byte of data. Is there some magic mojo or
something else I am missing. I experienced this on two different
Windows XP machines and a Linux.

SW version T095VEDT20_0.189
HW version TX-95C_REV_02

RPI got it off eBay so there may be some unknown history behind it.

Roger
Chris Fraser

2004-03-04 01:00:30 UTC
Post by Chris Fraser
Try using the com port that is assigned to the modem. At least that's what
seems to work. ;)
Thanks for that. It was the one thing I didn't try :-)

So it turns out that even though the circuit board is identical to the VX6000,
the cable is identical, the drivers are identical (just different USB ids in
the inf files), and it being a composite device (in exactly the same way),
the crucial difference is that the VX6000 (and VX4400) use the seperate
diagnostics port and the 8900 uses the modem port for both modem and
diagnostics.

There are occasions when a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :-)

Roger
Chris Fraser
2004-03-04 00:48:02 UTC

Sorry, I shouldn't have been so trite in my previous response.

I'm a Telus customer and I've been playing with the CDM-8900 and BitPim
since November. I have never had any success getting the handset to
communicate over the diagnostic port. The com port that is assigned to the
modem works quite well though, and so I haven't spent much time
investigating why the diagnostic connection doesn't respond.

Let me know if I can help out with the 8900. I have a limited amount of
time to dedicate to it, but I'll try to do what I can.

Chris...
2004-03-04 01:03:29 UTC
Post by Chris Fraser
Sorry, I shouldn't have been so trite in my previous response.
You were not trite and were in fact spot on :-)
Post by Chris Fraser
Let me know if I can help out with the 8900. I have a limited amount of
time to dedicate to it, but I'll try to do what I can.
The main thing I need is pointers to research people have already
done, and especially any sync protocols. There do appear to be
various threads on Howard Forums, but they wonder all over the place.
I do have the Curitel PC Sync app so I will have a look at that.

Roger
Chris Fraser
2004-03-04 16:07:45 UTC
Comments inline -

Chris...
Post by Roger Binns
The main thing I need is pointers to research people have already
done, and especially any sync protocols. There do appear to be
various threads on Howard Forums, but they wonder all over the place.
I do have the Curitel PC Sync app so I will have a look at that.
The only thing I can say about the PC Sync App is to caution you about
writing any data back to the handset from it. It would appear
that the phonebook data is -slightly- different on the TX-95C than the
CDM-8900 and writing the data back without setting some of the fields
results in the handset getting rebooting. At least this is the unfortunate
experience of a number of users on HoFo.
Chris Fraser
2004-03-04 16:40:38 UTC
Post by Chris Fraser
CDM-8900 and writing the data back without setting some of the fields
results in the handset getting rebooting. At least this is the unfortunate
experience of a number of users on HoFo.
I mean to say getting -stuck- rebooting. My proof reading skills are
diminishing it would seem.

Chris...
Chris Fraser
2004-03-19 01:06:16 UTC
I wanted to share some information I just discovered.

The reason you can't use the diagnostic port on the CDM-8900 is that it
appears to be set to "UART MAIN" as a factory setting. I was playing
around with ## commands today, and stumbled upon the "RunTime DevMap" menu
that is accessable by issuing "##7678<END>" (##PORT). You can also control
the DM Mode port speed by issuing "##2283<END>" (##BAUD). I changed the diag
setting in the "RunTime DevMap" menu to "USB DIAG" and I can now
successfully connect to the phone through the diagnostic port. The
connections to the phone over the diagnostic port appear to happen with
less negotiation as well. Of course it could just be my perception.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but it seemed like an interesting tidbit of
info.

Chris...
Roger Binns
2004-03-22 09:12:34 UTC
That was fun to play with :-)
Calvin Martini
2004-03-22 20:51:49 UTC
Chris Fraser
2004-03-22 21:14:25 UTC
I've created a trace, and will send it to Roger. I'd post it here, but
it has a phonebook dump in it. ;)

Chris...
The Curitel application that was used to communicate with the CDM8900
http://www.curitel.com/english/download/pcsynch.asp
I don't have a CDM8900 and can't grab the traces for you, but this app
should at least communicate. Warning: Do not write to your phone using
this application - apparently it corrupts your phone if you do (a slight
difference in the phone book format).
Best regards,
Calvin
Roger Binns
2004-03-22 21:32:05 UTC
Post by Chris Fraser
I've created a trace, and will send it to Roger. I'd post it here, but
it has a phonebook dump in it. ;)
Thanks to Calvin, I got it up and working as well. Something that would be
very useful for this phone is how the ringtone and wallpapers are done.
My phone doesn't actually have a live line, and I don't want to pay to
send/receive several in order to figure it out.

2004-03-22 21:59:49 UTC
The Curitel application that was used to communicate with the CDM8900
Thanks.
Warning: Do not write to your phone using
this application - apparently it corrupts your phone if you do (a slight
difference in the phone book format).
I will eventualy write, but be very careful. The phone is a loaner from
RPI Wireless and I don't actually have it activated, but am still careful
nonetheless.

After looking at some traces, the news is that the phone has an explicit
sync protocol for phonebook and calendar, and that it just does filesystem
access for SMS.