[Bitpim-devel] Suggestions for future versions
Arnold Milstein
2004-04-25 22:22:38 UTC
Great program! I just started using it to backup and organize my LG
VX4500. I have not had a chance to try uploading graphics or ringers
yet, but look forward to trying.

As I was working with the program I would like to see the ability to
save the date file and export it to a database and also set up profiles
for different phones.

I have done a little programming and if I can help at all in your
efforts with the LG VX4500, please let me know what you need and I will
try to help.

Arnold Milstein
Roger Binns
2004-04-25 23:17:52 UTC
Post by Arnold Milstein
As I was working with the program I would like to see the ability to
save the date file and export it to a database
The effort for 0.7 is to try and do it right for the phonebook first
and then move on to the calendar for 0.8. You can of course work on
anything you want :-) However I would suggest looking at how things
are done with the phonebook to get an understanding of the issues
and how they are resolved. (At a minimum there are issues with
tagging entries with serial numbers and dealing with matching
incoming and outgoing data. Read the archives of this group from
almost the very begining as I went over all the issues as proposals
many times).
Post by Arnold Milstein
and also set up profiles for different phones.
There are three cases that apply. One is where you are keeping the
phones totally seperate and don't want to share any information or
anything else between them. The help applies to that case:

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/howto-multipleusers.htm

The second case is where you want both phones to share exactly
the same information. This already automatically works today
for the phonebook, and manually for wallpaper, ringtones etc.

The third case would be where you want the phones to share
some information, for example by marking some contacts as
shared. That requires some design work, UI work etc.
Post by Arnold Milstein
I have done a little programming and if I can help at all in your
efforts with the LG VX4500,
The VX4500 phone book stuff needs to be completed. I posted
a zip file the other day containing a transcript showing what
happens on the VX6000.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.bitpim.devel/46

The VX4500 is similar but the phonebook
entry has more stuff in it. You will need to decipher field
sizes and positions and update p_lgvx4500.p appropriately
by using the analyser.

There are many messages about that kind of thing in the archives.