[BitPim-devel] Want to write support for LG VX 4650.
Derek Cassese
2005-07-25 21:14:52 UTC
I just recently got a LG VX 4650 and want to add support for my phone.
I am a programmer so this should be a fun side thing for me. If
anyone want to help out, or offer any advice on setting everything up
and all that would be great.
Simon
2005-07-29 04:59:33 UTC
Derek,

I just did this with the vx8100.

Follow the instructions on the bitpim web page to the letter, you need to
install all the packages mentioned first, but not the optional ones. You
should have the software running in an hour.

Start with another LG phone that you think is similar.

You need to create two files com_vx4650.py and p_lgvx4650.p, you can rename
an existing file just to get started, pick one you think is similar to your
phone.

Edit the file guiwidgets.py, at around line 350 add your phone, it will then
appear in the BitPim phone list.

The p_lgvx4650.p gets generated into p_lgvx4650.py when you run the python
program protogen.py in the bitpim directory, you need to run this every time
you edit the p_lgvx8100.p file.

You should copy the phonebook and other files from you phone and figure out
the format of the file in a hex editor. It will be a fixed size record that
repeats for each entry in the file. You then use this info to create a
PACKET definition file (e.g. p_lgvx46500.p) for your phone, the PACKET is
basically describing the format of the files on your phone to BitPim.
Actually what you will really do is change the existing PACKET definition in
the PHONE you pick as the base class for your phone. Try to derive from the
existing python classes and just change what is different for your phone. If
you get the packet definition wrong you will get an error, trace back up the
stack and it will point to which packet is wrong, this is the easiest way I
found to debug the packet definitions.

If you want to build the installation package rather than just running in
python that is much more work. There are no instructions for that. You need
to install all the optional packages and also you need to get Inno setup 5
(google it). Also python2exe, pexports and dlltool (google MinGW), you have
to build the USB and the jarow string packages in the "native" directory.

There is a python script that builds the package (makedist.py), start by
running this and debugging when it hits an error.

Put aside a couple of days for this.

Simon

2005-07-29 14:59:54 UTC
Great info for a new developer.
One important note though . . .

Some of the python PACKET definitions are more precisely a map of how the
phone sends data via Brew. An example of this are the phonebook entries.
The phone sends phonebook entries one at a time and the corresponding
PACKET definition tells BitPim how to decode this. This is NOT the same
format as the raw phonebook file on the phone. At least for the LG-VX3200.
Capture a sample pb entry in the BitPim protocol log window to analyze.
Post by Simon
[...]
Bruce Schurmann
BitPim LG-VX3200 dev