[Bitpim-devel] Ready to submit LG VX6100 changes
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-07 04:55:12 UTC
Greetings,

I'm ready to submit the following to support the LG VX6100 handset. As my
Sourceforge account isn't associated with BitPim, I imagine there is a
different submission process to follow. I've got the following:

- One line change to guiwidgets.py
- New p_lgvx6100.p (created from LG VX4500 and LG VX6000 templates)
- New com_lgvx6100.py (created from LG VX4500 and LG VX6000 templates)

I can successfully read and write ringtones.
I can successfully read and write wallpaper.
I can successfully read the calendar (write causes exception).
I can successfully read and write the phonebook (except wallpapers don't get
written properly - an index problem I believe. Default image is selected).

I'd rather get these mods out there since such a large part of the value of
BitPim is working. Who knows, maybe someone else will take what is here and
solve the index problem.

Please let me know how best to submit them: Email attachments, gain access
for my Sourceforge account (oshcfii) etc.

Thanks,

John
John O'Shaughnessy
Roger Binns
2004-12-07 05:29:36 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
I can successfully read and write wallpaper.
I can successfully read and write the phonebook (except wallpapers don't get
written properly - an index problem I believe. Default image is selected).
Those two don't add up. Is there anything I can do to help with the
wallpaper index issue? (I got the impression you don't understand
how the indexing works which is quite tricky until you see it).
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Please let me know how best to submit them: Email attachments, gain access
for my Sourceforge account (oshcfii) etc.
Just post a message here with the code as attachments. I'll commit
them. Seperately also prepare some help content. Look at the
existing .htd files to get an idea. I'll put in the pages and then
you can own the content.

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-07 12:51:36 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Please let me know how best to submit them: Email attachments, gain access
for my Sourceforge account (oshcfii) etc.
Just post a message here with the code as attachments. I'll commit
them. Seperately also prepare some help content. Look at the
existing .htd files to get an idea. I'll put in the pages and then
you can own the content.
Attached are the three files. I'll get to work on the help files tonight.

Thanks,

John
Roger Binns
2004-12-08 05:47:54 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Attached are the three files. I'll get to work on the help files tonight.
Ok, I am committing them. There was no need to submit the whole of
guiwidgets for a one line change :-)

I have also changed the copyright lines. Keeping track of who has
copyright on particular files is very important for many reasons:

- To ensure credit goes where it is due
- To ensure blame goes where it due :-)
- To track ownership of files should legal issues arise
- To know who to contact if the status of files needs to
change. (eg the license can't be changed on your code
without your consent)

You can assign copyright to me (or a BitPim foundation if any such
thing happens in the future :-) which requires filling out a paper
form and mailing it to me. See an example here:

http://copylaw.com/forms/copyassn.html

That is too much hassle at the moment.

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-07 14:01:29 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
I can successfully read and write wallpaper.
I can successfully read and write the phonebook (except wallpapers don't get
written properly - an index problem I believe. Default image is selected).
Those two don't add up. Is there anything I can do to help with the
wallpaper index issue? (I got the impression you don't understand
how the indexing works which is quite tricky until you see it).
What I mean by this is that I can add wallpaper to BitPim, write it to the
phone, and successfully -use the phone- to view the wallpaper, assign it as
background images for Contacts entries, etc. I can take pictures with the
camera, read them into BitPim, copy them from BitPim to the OS, etc.

When I load the phonebook data to BitPim, I can view all the entries,
including viewing the proper wallpaper that was assigned on the phone. I
have problems when I attempt to edit a phonebook entry, and modify the
wallpaper assignment.

The full list of images is displayed properly in the BitPim Phonebook
wallpaper picker. If I select any of the "built-in" images I get the icon
of a yellow crown on a green background. It makes sense that I don't see an
image as the built-ins aren't uploaded to BitPim. If I select any other
wallpaper, it shows up correctly in BitPim, but when I send the phonebook
data back to the phone, the edited user shows up with the default wallpaper.
Reading the phonebook back into BitPim also shows no wallpaper for that
user.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
Roger Binns
2004-12-08 06:04:54 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
The full list of images is displayed properly in the BitPim Phonebook
wallpaper picker. If I select any of the "built-in" images I get the icon
of a yellow crown on a green background. It makes sense that I don't see an
image as the built-ins aren't uploaded to BitPim. If I select any other
wallpaper, it shows up correctly in BitPim, but when I send the phonebook
data back to the phone, the edited user shows up with the default wallpaper.
Reading the phonebook back into BitPim also shows no wallpaper for that
user.
Any suggestions?
Yes, this is simple. Use the protocol analyser and compare what BitPim
is sending for a record vs what the record looks like if the same wallpaper
is assigned on the phone.

It is quite possible that there is a second field somewhere. LG likes
to duplicate fields. For example in the calendar they store an alarm
time as hours/minutes, but seperately also store the same thing (in
the badly named changeserial) which is an enumeration of the possibilities
in the phone's user interface. Even though the hours/minutes field
is always correctly maintained by the phone, so BitPim reads it correctly,
it is actually the changeserial field that controls what the phone does.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-12-07 16:19:00 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Post by Roger Binns
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
[...]
This sounds almost exactly like the state of the Samsung A670 code when
it comes to phonebook "caller ID" assignment of wallpapers and ringers.
Bitpim doesn't know the correct IDs of the media. I found a file (e.g.
nvm/nvm/brew-image on my phone) which lists the image files with their
IDs (and a similar one for ringtones.) I have even written the routines
to read them but I have yet to work out the details of when to read
them, when to reboot the phone, etc. (we switch back and forth between
brew and AT command mode with Samsung) You probably have similar index
files for your phone's media.

Vic
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-08 04:53:09 UTC
Attached!
Roger Binns
2004-12-08 05:58:14 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Attached!
Added. Your final task is some blurb for the changehistory file.

BTW is all the text in the doc correct, since it seems just cut
and pasted from the VX7000?

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy

I'm happy to hold the copyright.
Roger Binns
2004-12-08 14:59:17 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
I'm happy to hold the copyright.
You don't have a choice :-) It is yours. (In the olden days
you had to register and all sorts of other stuff). Now you
have it automatically and have to fill out the forms I
showed to give it someone else, or something similar to
give up copyright (see the middle of http://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html
for an example).

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-08 15:02:19 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Attached!
Added. Your final task is some blurb for the changehistory file.
BTW is all the text in the doc correct, since it seems just cut
and pasted from the VX7000?
Versionhistory text is attached.

I believe the doc is correct - I cut out the parts that I was unsure of.
One question remaining is the amount of memory in the phone Is there any
easy way to check that?

John
John O'Shaughnessy
Roger Binns
2004-12-08 15:26:15 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
One question remaining is the amount of memory in the phone Is there any
easy way to check that?
Yes, use the protocol analyser and look at one of the initial brew commands
which returns the amount of memory on the phone.

Roger

John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-08 15:03:38 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
[...]
Thanks - I'll look into that in a few days when I next have a chance.

John
--
John O'Shaughnessy ***@cloud7.org