[BitPim-devel] brew2 upload/download speed bump
Nathan Hjelm
2007-07-06 04:06:05 UTC
Attached is a concept patch. This patch allows phone drivers to
manipulate the size of packets used by RealBrewProtocol2.writefile
and RealBrewProtocol2.getfilecontents.

What is the point of this patch?
Bitpim is currently not utilizing the bandwidth available for file
transfers. Assuming a diagnostic port speed of 115200 baud we should
be able to get close to a theoretical peak speed of 14.4kB/sec.

For example, with a LG-VX8700 (upload to phone) and file size of 610 kB:
Packet size Speed
234 bytes 3.8kB/sec
256 bytes 4kB/sec
1 kB 10kB/sec
4 kB 14kB/sec
7.75 kB 15.2kB/sec (4x speedup! I don't know why
this value is > theoretical peak)

Anything much larger than 7.75kB with cause a timeout error.

Downloading from the phone gets a similar speedup but the maximum
packet size is only 1kB (on the VX-8700). Any larger request will
return 1kB of data.

ᅩ
-Nathan
Joe Pham
2007-07-08 21:18:43 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Attached is a concept patch. This patch allows phone drivers to
manipulate the size of packets used by RealBrewProtocol2.writefile
and RealBrewProtocol2.getfilecontents.
I'd suggest defining 2 variables in the BREW prototype file
(p_brew.p) and allowing individual phone models to override them.

Why not be a nutritionist? Get your degree fast. Click here!
http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6ijnb6Dn6qtBTkUlAWNTqV5Fhh5VWGxtRmgMDIAwvQ2bGOTfkI/